Nick Breckon

Idle Thumbs Streams

Presented without further comment

zerofiftyone i think i bought revelations and black flag solely for the multiplayer and didn't even touch the single player

2:11 PM

i'm so burned out on assassin's creed as an open world game, but the MP was a super tight and focused thing

2:12 PM

osmosisch Talk about a game I want to see the Thums stream the multiplayer of

2:12 PM

imagine Nick sneaking up on Chris trying to stab him (also in-game)

2:13 PM

aprettycooldude Mornin' y'all

2:13 PM

We talkin' AC Multi?

2:14 PM

zerofiftyone yes

2:14 PM

aprettycooldude Because I played Black Flag multi and that shit ruled

2:15 PM

zerofiftyone @osmosisch: that would be hilarious, nick's paranoia would be incredible to watch

2:16 PM

aprettycooldude esp. after some drinks

2:16 PM

zerofiftyone of course

Presented without further comment

I dunno if it'd be possible to reliably get into a game now that those games are several years old. I'm kind of curious to try. Those games were so good though.

It's at least entirely possible still to just make games with friends, so worst (best!) case would be a thumbs-only game, or a game with viewers included.

I'm excited to see how true the "completely internalizing the game" claim turns out to be. I'm hoping for not true at all.

I'm excited to see how true the "completely internalizing the game" claim turns out to be. I'm hoping for not true at all.

Irithyll is a fairly large jump in difficulty I think

Irithyll is a fairly large jump in difficulty I think

We do have to consider that Nick will be somewhat less drunk this time though, and he did get the Abyss Watchers pretty quick. 

We do have to consider that Nick will be somewhat less drunk this time though, and he did get the Abyss Watchers pretty quick. 

I think less alcohol actually hurt my game.

Also, thanks everyone for watching me bumble through that.

Also, thanks Kyir for continuing to give a blind/drunk man directions. 

I thought you made a lot of progress honestly! I'm looking forward to the next stream.

Regarding using embers to heal, I don't really agree with that tactic. By not using the ember before the fight your Estus is going to be less effective, because whenever you heal back up to full you're using your healing less effectively. By using the ember before the fight you can much more easily wait to heal until your health is low enough that you don't waste any healing.

Regarding using embers to heal, I don't really agree with that tactic. By not using the ember before the fight your Estus is going to be less effective, because whenever you heal back up to full you're using your healing less effectively. By using the ember before the fight you can much more easily wait to heal until your health is low enough that you don't waste any healing.

Yeah, wasted Estus is really a drain in the close-fought fights. I'm not sure I could have beat the Dancer if I didn't have my Estus ring and the greater headroom offered by being embered.

Using embers to heal is less effective when you have a huge amount of them, but when there's a limited number in a situation where farming isn't really desired, I think waiting to use them further into a fight is perfectly reasonable. Nick did beat Pontiff without using one at all in the end, though I suppose it could also be argued that means he shouldn't worry about running out of them. 

Though, to be fair, you're not wasting estus unless you overheal with it, which you shouldn't be doing either way. It's a bit more dangerous to have a lower HP cap still, but I wouldn't be recommending doing it unless there was the risk of running out of them soon.

I am seven minutes into the latest stream and Nick is killing me (and himself) with how much he keeps his shield up. While running!

Fighting that lizard thing on the bridge is the right way to go. Fighting it later in the swamp is a huge pain.

It was a pleasure to watch the VoD, some real moments of pain and triumph there.

I am seven minutes into the latest stream and Nick is killing me (and himself) with how much he keeps his shield up. While running!

He was suffering a bug where shield auto-locked on. If anyone knows the solution to it, that might be helpful in future streams.

He was suffering a bug where shield auto-locked on. If anyone knows the solution to it, that might be helpful in future streams.

Yeah, I got to that point later. I'm still somewhat skeptical, but this is the best that I can find: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23x6je/stuck_blocking_w_360_controller_on_pc/

Apparently, Dark Souls on the PC has a key that toggles block? Eesh.

Yeah, I got to that point later. I'm still somewhat skeptical, but this is the best that I can find: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23x6je/stuck_blocking_w_360_controller_on_pc/

Apparently, Dark Souls on the PC has a key that toggles block? Eesh.

That's what I mentioned to him too. The solution didn't seem to work when he tried it, but then it didn't happen again afterwards? I really have no idea on this one.

Actually, I now realize that we were both looking at a Dark Souls 2 page. Whoops! 

In lieu of a Sunday stream -- which I sadly cannot do this week -- I'll be streaming Dark Souls at 12 PM Pacific on Friday. I hope you guys will join me! And if not, Chris might try to stream something else on Sunday anyway. 

I've really been enjoying the Dark Souls streams, which is cool because Dark Souls is a game I would normally never play. I like a challenge but, I generally don't play things that are as punishingly difficult as the Souls games. It's nice to experience the fucked up, though oddly beautiful, imagery of the game played by people who can maintain their sense of humor about it.

So, thanks guys.

So which direction do we think Nick will go from here? I have a feeling the Silver Knights might be a bit of a high stepping stone once the drinking starts, which I assume will be right away.

That section isn't nearly as bad as the one it's referencing. I mean, there are places to take cover.

Izilith is kinda lame unless you're coming at it from a lore perspective. Considering Nick's tendency to steamroll past anything resembling a narrative I actually think he should skip it. Either Aldrich or the dungeons would be better as a next location.

Can't wait to see what he thinks of those damned jailers.

We already know what Nick thinks about them. It's something along the lines of "what? what is this? why is my life going down? what?" followed by a dip on the internalization meter.

I think either way we cut it, Nick is probably only going to get past one major boss in the next stream though. It might make more sense for him to do dungeon/capital first since that's longer, and then do Anor Londo + whatever part of the castle he can make it through on the next stream? I'm already haunted by the idea of him getting deep into the dungeon, stopping, and then having no idea what was going on the next week.

internalization level moar liek inebriation level amirite guys