Nick Breckon

Idle Thumbs Streams

I just remembered that I need to give a shout out to Chris Remo. He responded to some question I had in chat about tiki drinks, and he pronounced my user name correctly. Since it's just a bunch of consonants it has always been amusing for me to listen to people puzzle it out and give their best shot at pronouncing my name, but Chris correctly surmised it was scalpels without the vowels. Well played!

Well I recall him talking about doing crossword puzzles daily/weekly so that might explain it.

Also; Looking forward to the next stream!

In Which Jake Disapproves of a Mimic

The thing is, you're only ever blindsided by a Mimic once. Every time after that, it's part of the range of experience for which you steel yourself when opening a chest.

The thing is, you're only ever blindsided by a Mimic once. Every time after that, it's part of the range of experience for which you steel yourself when opening a chest.

Or, look for their tells!

Mimics can be seen breathing, and their chain points forward, whereas normal chests' curl back

Congrats on completing two of the most difficult challenges in Dark Souls 3 practically back to back, by first beating the Abyss Watchers and then figuring out the difference between dual wielding and two-handed*.

Great stream, though. Looking forward to the upcoming episodes! Too bad I won't be able to catch them live due to the timing. Oh well..

Also, Dark Souls 3 has some super cool names that fit the destroyed and decaying nature of the game really well, like Champion of Ash and Lord of Cinder (one of which can become the other, I assume? Although, it is pretty hard to make sense of the story because Nick is so fucking good at skipping all the dialogue.)

* Although, I admit that the weapon you had equipped made it a bit confusing**.

** Not that confusing, though. 

lso, Dark Souls 3 has some super cool names that fit the destroyed and decaying nature of the game really well, like Champion of Ash and Lord of Cinder

Totally agree - the curse-rotted greatwood was really evocative to me.

The stream was again great fun. It's been very interesting and entertaining to watch Nick's pretty amazing progress, despite the inebriation. Possibly my favourite moment was 90 minutes in, when Nick was at a bonfire, and there was a wolf, occupying a third of the screen, that the chat wanted Nick to talk to.

Stacksman : How are we guiding him to the wolf?
readSA : He's already @ the wolf.

Naturally Nick simply runs away, and the chat explodes. A minute later Chris catches up on the chat and Nick asks: "Where's the wolf?" I was most amused :-)

I exhibit similar blindness myself, so Nick also has my sympathy.

EDIT: I forgot to add, that in addition to Hitman and Stellaris, both of which I fully support for streaming, some co-op game like Helldivers would be a lot of fun to watch!

Edited by unimural

I would definitely like to see Chris and Nick stream Stellaris, not only because it will probably be hilarious, but because I want to learn how to play the game without watching a bunch of tutorial videos. Everything I know about Crusader Kings II is because of the helpful comments by the chat during the Idle Thumbs stream.

I would definitely like to see Chris and Nick stream Stellaris, not only because it will probably be hilarious, but because I want to learn how to play the game without watching a bunch of tutorial videos. Everything I know about Crusader Kings II is because of the helpful comments by the chat during the Idle Thumbs stream.

I find myself agreeing with you again! I'd really love to see them play Stellaris, I didn't really get into CK2 until the tales of Ragnar.... Guys, if you're looking for votes, please consider this one. Two, if voter fraud is allowed.

I find myself agreeing with you again! I'd really love to see them play Stellaris, I didn't really get into CK2 until the tales of Ragnar.... Guys, if you're looking for votes, please consider this one. Two, if voter fraud is allowed.

Thirding this request. I plan to buy the game day and date, so I'll be there either to sympathize with Nick Breckon or watch him fail like the space baby he is.

Last week, somebody recommended that I update my IRL Ted Crews picture to include a weapon.  I finally got around to it, and also decided to incorporate Crews' recent hollowing.8tNNOT.png

Anyway, I agree with others that Hitman would be great for future streams, but I'd also like to suggest Dishonored.

Thirding this request. I plan to buy the game day and date, so I'll be there either to sympathize with Nick Breckon or watch him fail like the space baby he is.

Like the space babies we all are...

I'm about 2/3's of the way through the VoD, and I'd just like to say that you made a ton of progress for one day. I didn't go to those rafters until much later, and still had a tough time with them.

I'm about 2/3's of the way through the VoD, and I'd just like to say that you made a ton of progress for one day. I didn't go to those rafters until much later, and still had a tough time with them.

Yeah, and not only plot progress. Nick's instincts have clearly gone a long way towards being trained: rolling forwards, fishing for backstabs, getting a sense of space before running forward... That's been really satisfying, although Nick needs to stop listening to chat when they tell him to kill NPCs. If it talks, don't attack!

Yeah, and not only plot progress. Nick's instincts have clearly gone a long way towards being trained: rolling forwards, fishing for backstabs, getting a sense of space before running forward... That's been really satisfying, although Nick needs to stop listening to chat when they tell him to kill NPCs. If it talks, don't attack!

Dark Souls 1 Spoiler

This logic is how you lose the firekeeper of Fire Link.

Dark Souls 1 Spoiler

This logic is how you lose the firekeeper of Fire Link.

The first Dark Souls is different. Dark Souls 3 doesn't really have any passivity traps like that. The stream just told Nick to kill Patches because some of them really hate Patches, even though that breaks more than one quest and basically denies Nick a chance to experience a lot of really funny and pleasant moments.

I disagree, I killed him there as well and I think it's the best way to handle things given the situation. That armor is expensive and he doesn't serve much of a purpose that his ashes won't allow the shopkeep to handle.

I spent a lot of time trying to lead Nick through the Cathedral leg of Siegward's quest. I can only call it an experience comparable to playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, except with hundreds of other people talking at the same time and precision controls. I felt the ups and the downs, the pain of defeat and the euphoria of success. Also I got to see Patches get murdered. What a stream!

Slight spoilers ahead:

Also, Patches kills Greirat, so there is sort of a passive trap involving him. Also also, Patches is the worst. Also x3, I can't think of a single other quest killing him breaks except for him killing Greirat.

Last also: Nick didn't have the number of souls needed for the armor and explicitly had said he didn't want to spend time farming earlier. I think we made the right decision.

I spent a lot of time trying to lead Nick through the Cathedral leg of Siegward's quest. I can only call it an experience comparable to playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, except with hundreds of other people talking at the same time and precision controls. I felt the ups and the downs, the pain of defeat and the euphoria of success. Also I got to see Patches get murdered. What a stream!

Slight spoilers ahead:

Also, Patches kills Greirat, so there is sort of a passive trap involving him. Also also, Patches is the worst. Also x3, I can't think of a single other quest killing him breaks except for him killing Greirat.

Last also: Nick didn't have the number of souls needed for the armor and explicitly had said he didn't want to spend time farming earlier. I think we made the right decision.

Nope, you have it backwards.  Patches can save Greirat under certain circumstances.  He doesn't kill anyone other than possibly you if you somehow manage to succumb to his hilariously ineffectual traps.

Nope, you have it backwards.  Patches can save Greirat under certain circumstances.  He doesn't kill anyone other than possibly you if you somehow manage to succumb to his hilariously ineffectual traps.

I don't know, saving Patches in my experience so far has resulted in Greirat not returning from his second trip. I've also read from multiple sources that progress in Siegward's quest is what's necessary for for him to make it back. I'm not saying authoritatively that you're wrong, that just has not been my experience at all (although my experience with patches was him showing up at the shrine before I even got to that bridge, so who knows.) I inferred from his dialogue that he had some kind of nasty history with Greirat and was looking for his usual kind of payback because of it.

Either way, killing Patches saved the soul-farming time to buy the armor, so I still call it a win.

It occurred to me that both the streamers and other people watching them may not want to be spoiled on this stuff so, in response to Kyir,

I have seen it both ways (that he kills or saves Greirat) and don't really have a clue which is true. They both seem plausible. Perhaps it seems like Greirat dies because you didn't kill patches simply because people aren't saving up to buy the armor fast enough? Maybe telling Patches Greirat's location when he asks only works to save him if done at a certain time? 

Edit: Found this on GameFAQs, amidst a lot of arguing.

Patches will save Greirat from Irithyll (second loot run) if you didn't buy the Caterina set and tell patches where he went. He needs it to disguise himself as the onion knight. If you tell patches where Greirat is on the third loot run (Lothric) he will then kill him (indicated when Patches returns with a new inventory and a grim chuckle during the conversation) It doesn't matter either way since Greirat will always die during the loot run in Lothric.

Watch the video and read the description:

I don't know, saving Patches in my experience so far has resulted in Greirat not returning from his second trip. I've also read from multiple sources that progress in Siegward's quest is what's necessary for for him to make it back. I'm not saying authoritatively that you're wrong, that just has not been my experience at all (although my experience with patches was him showing up at the shrine before I even got to that bridge, so who knows.) I inferred from his dialogue that he had some kind of nasty history with Greirat and was looking for his usual kind of payback because of it.

Yeah, Dewar has it right with his edit. Patches will save Greirat on the latter's second expedition if you don't kill Patches and don't buy Siegward's armor. It's easier to let Siegward save him, but sometimes people break that by encountering Siegward in Irithyll Dungeon before entering the sewers, and Patches will ask either way and, if he doesn't have the armor, he will kill Greirat (or let him die).

Interestingly, there are people saying that Greirat can be saved on his third expedition, but only in NG+ when the player has the Catarina armor leftover from the previous playthrough, to give to Siegward in the well, and Patches has his own set. Together, they can save Greirat as two Catarina Knights, one real and one a fraud. I'm looking forward to that, if so.