Nick Breckon

Idle Thumbs Streams

Idle Thumbs is now regularly streaming video games on Twitch, at Twitch.tv/idlethumbs

This thread is where we'll try to keep you apprised of upcoming streams, as well as post our backlog of recordings. 

Starting today, readers can now subscribe to our Twitch channel! As a subscriber, your money will go directly toward supporting the Idle Thumbs podcast/streams. You'll also receive access to goofy/hilarious chat emoticons! 

Join us!

Upcoming Streams

No Man's Sky, Part 2 — TBD

Chris streamed his first impressions of No Man's Sky. Maybe he'll stream more!

• No Man's Sky: Chris' First Time (Twitch,
    )

RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 10 — TBD
Chris loads up RimWorld for the first time upon its Steam release, years after backing it on Kickstarter. It promises to be a sci-fi Dwarf Fortress that you can actually figure out how to play. A love triangle immediately developed between Nick Breckon, Danielle Riendeau, and Danielle Riendeau's mom. Enjoy.

• RimWorld With Chris, Part 1 (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld With Chris, Part 2 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld With Chris, Part 3 (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld With Chris, Part 4 (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld With Chris, Part 5 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld With Chris, Part 6 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld With Chris, Part 7 (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld: The Rise and Fall of Cool Zone (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 1 (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 2 (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 3 (Twitch
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 4 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 5 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 6 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 7 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 8 (Twitch,
    )
  • RimWorld: Video Jamestown, Part 9 (Twitch,
    )

Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 12  — TBD
On April 17, 2016, Chris and Nick set off on a mission to drink a lot of cocktails and suck slightly less at Dark Souls III. One of those goals was achieved immediately. The other took five hours, and counting.

• Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 1 — (Twitch,
    ) Mai Tai (1944 original), Royal Hawaiian Cocktail, Hurricane
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 2 — (Twitch
    Halekulani Cocktail, Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail, Jungle Bird
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 3 — (Twitch Pt.1, Twitch Pt.2,
    ) Iuka's Grogg, Sidewinder's Fang, Cream Gin Fizz, Mai Tai (1970s resort variant)
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 4 — (Twitch,
    ) Rum
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 5 — (Twitch,
    ) Dark 'n' Stormy
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 6 — (Twitch,
    ) Gin
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 7 — (Twitch,
    ) Trader Sam's Shipwreck
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 8 — (Twitch,
    Tommy's Margarita, Cynar Negroni
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 9 — (Twitch,
    Tommy's Margarita, Whiskey
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 10 — (Twitch,
    Coffee
  • Dark Souls 3 and Tiki Drinks, Part 11 — (Twitch,
    ) The Two Sisters

Hitman (2016) — TBD
The crew dives into the episodic Hitman game's Escalation missions, which introduce progressively challenging assassination parameters. Chris was killed many times by laser tripwire, and everyone else was stabbed many times by scissors. Recorded May 22, 2016.

• Hitman (2016), Part 1 with Chris and Spaff (Twitch
    )
  • Hitman (2016), Part 2 with Chris and Nick (Twitch,
    )
  • Hitman (2016), Gary Busey Elusive Target with Chris (Twitch,
    )

Archived Streams

​BioShock with designer JP LeBreton
Frequent Idle Thumbs guest and game designer JP LeBreton worked on the original BioShock, and takes us through some of the game, including his level, Arcadia. As a bonus, JP also brought in and played "Arcadia Demade," a Doom II remake of his own BioShock level, re-creating Arcadia's spaces and encounters as faithfully as possible using only stock Doom assets. Worth watching for the Houdini Splicer encounter alone. Recorded June 23, 2012.

• Bioshock with JP LeBreton, Part 1 (Twitch,
  • Bioshock with JP LeBreton, Part 2 (Twitch, YouTube
  • Bioshock with JP LeBreton, Part 3 (Twitch,

BioShock 2: Minerva's Den with designer Steve Gaynor
Steve gives us a play-by-play of his critically acclaimed BioShock 2 DLC, Minerva's Den. Recorded in November 2012.

• Minerva's Den with Steve, Part 1 (
  • Minerva's Den with Steve, Part 2 (

Crusader Kings 2 
Arise, King Vanaman. We played six hours of "Who Wants to Marry a Baby?" or, as it is sometimes referred to, Crusader Kings II. Follow the lineage of our faithful and ill-begotten servant Ragnar. Woe the life of Brian, our hapless son unwittingly in the way of King Vanaman's succession. Watch us kill some wives and imprison half of Ireland. Recorded July 22-30, 2013.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Chris survives three hours of backseat Dark Souls driving. Recorded July 13, 2013. 

• Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Twitch

DayZ with Evan Lahti
Sean and Chris are guided through the brutal world of DayZ with the help of PC Gamer's resident DayZ expert and evangelist Evan Lahti. Watch Sean find a bicycle and go for a lovely ride through the apocalyptic wastelands, realize it was all a dream and fear for his life. Recorded August 18, 2012.

• DayZ with Evan Lahti, Part 1 (Twitch)
  • DayZ with Evan Lahti, Part 2 (Twitch)
  • DayZ with Evan Lahti, Part 3 (Twitch)

Far Cry 2
Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2? Far Cry 2. Recorded August 24, 2013.

• Far Cry 2, Part 1 (
  • Far Cry 2, Part 2 (
  • Far Cry 2, Part 3 (
    )​ 

FTL: Faster Than Light
After many ill-fated attempts at managing his ship's crew's journey through some particularly vengeful patches of space, Chris plays through his first ever successful FTL campaign live, with lots of incredible back and forth from the audience. Recorded August 11, 2012. 

Headlander First Impressions
Just over 27 minutes into Headlander, Chris discovers something that makes him happier than perhaps any video game ever has.

• Chris Plays Headlander (Twitch,
    )

Hitman (2016) Escalation Missions
Chris and Spaff dive into the episodic Hitman game's Escalation missions, which introduce progressively challenging assassination parameters. Chris was killed many times by laser tripwire, and everyone else was stabbed many times by scissors. Recorded May 22, 2016.

• Hitman Escalation with Chris and Spaff (Twitch,
    )

Just Cause 3 — July 3, 2016
Chris loaded up Just Cause 3 for an impromptu stream with his wife and Idle Book Club co-host, Sarah Argodale. Towns were destroyed and robots were ridden.

• Just Cause 3 — (Twitch
    )

Kerbal Space Program
We choose to do what is hard, and not the other thing. In retrospect, it might have been a mistake. Recorded April 20, 2013.

• Kerbal Space Program, Part 1 (Twitch,
  • Kerbal Space Program, Part 2 (Twitch,
    )

Kickstarter Countdown
Once upon a time, you, the readers, helped bring Idle Thumbs back from the grave. This stream is a historic document of the moment the Thumbs officially reanimated. Recorded March 22, 2012.

• Kickstarter Countdown, Part 1 (Twitch
  • Kickstarter Countdown, Part 2 (Twitch

LucasArts Memories
Chris and Jake play through old LucasArts adventure games, including Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and Loom. Recorded April 6, 2013.

Minecraft
For a while, Idle Thumbs ran a Minecraft server. It's currently closed, but take a trip through the Thumbs server that was, with us and all the other Thumbs who logged in for the stream. Recorded July 7, 2012.

• Minecraft Part 0: Prologue (Twitch, YouTube) 
  • Minecraft Part 1: Actual Minecraft Playing (Twitch, YouTube) 

Pikmin 2 Head-to-Head
Most people probably didn't know that Shigero Miyamoto's team made a competitive RTS game, and fewer know that it's super good. Jake and Chris play a couple hours of Pikmin 2's relatively unknown, but surprisingly robust split-screen versus mode. Recorded February 2 and 16, 2013.

• Pikmin 2, Part 1 (Twitch, YouTube) 
  • Pikmin 2, Part 2 (Twitch, YouTube) 

Rogue Legacy
When we're two hundred years dead and buried, we hope the kids of our kids' kids' kids are still bringing you this podcast out of some strange never-ending sense of family destiny. In the meantime, we bring you our experiences playing Rogue Legacy (which is basically that, except killing guys in castles and not podcasting). Recorded July 2, 2013.

Ruination Cast
As part of our Kickstarter campaign, backers were given the chance to help us ruin an episode by giving us a list of topics we had to discuss. The following four and a half hours is the result of that list. Recorded October 7, 2012.

Ryan Davis Memorial Stream / Surgeon Simulator 2013
Celebrate the life of a great man with an hour of ridiculous video game bullshit, as we attempt to perform delicate surgical procedures with only the most tenuous control of our own motor functions. Recorded July 9, 2013.

• Ryan Davis Memorial Stream (Twitch,

Shadowrun Returns
Nick Breckon warms up for a podcast recording with a copy of Shadowrun Returns and a bottle of Jack Daniels. Recorded July 27, 2013.

• Shadowrun Returns, Part 1 (
    )
  • Shadowrun Returns, Part 2 (
    )

Spelunky
An innocent stream of a new procedural platformer can very quickly segue into a year-long obsession. Recorded August 2013-February 2014.

• Spelunky (Twitch
  • Chris' Spelunky Daily Challenges (
  • Nick's Spelunky Daily Challenges (

Street Fighter IV
Chris, Jake, Sean, and Nick warm up for a podcast with some ultra-competitive Street Fighter IV. Recorded July 16, 2013.

• Street Fighter IV (
    )

Super Black Bass
A bass fishing sim for the SNES, Super Black Bass was one of those games from your childhood that you played a lot even though you knew you were only understanding half of what was going on. Sean shows Jake and Chris how it's done. Recorded Jun 9, 2012.

• Super Black Bass (Twitch, YouTube) 

Super Pole Riders
The creation of QWOP developer Bennett Foddy, Super Pole Riders would go on to feature in the Sportsfriends collection of friendly sporting games. Recorded August 27, 2013.

Tennnes
Tennnes is a simple-but-deep same-screen competitive tennis game, a throw back to '80s sports games, with the mechanical fidelity modern game design allows. We took a break in the middle of an Idle Thumbs episode to play a bunch of it. Recorded October 30, 2012.

• Tennnes, Part 1 (Twitch, YouTube) 
  • Tennnes, Part 2 (Twitch, YouTube)​ 

Viscera Cleanup Detail
Sean plays Viscera Cleanup Detail, the space-station sanitation simulator. Recorded July 16, 2013.

• Viscera Cleanup Detail (Twitch,

Wizard Jam 2016, Part 2 — Saturday, July 9, noon Pacific
We'll be gathering to play through the results of the forthcoming Wizard Jam 2016—and, time permitting, selections from Wizard Jams past.

• Wizard Jam 2016, Part 1 — (Twitch
    )
  • Wizard Jam 2016, Part 2 — (Twitch)

X-Com with JP LeBreton and Evan Lahti
The original X-Com has a notoriously steep barrier to entry, but PC Gamer's Evan Lahti and Double Fine designer JP LeBreton help guide us (and you!) into the game in a way that we've heard actually works. Recorded September 15, 2012.

• X-Com with JP and Evan, Part 1 (Twitch, YouTube)
  • X-Com with JP and Evan, Part 2 (Twitch, YouTube)

Yes!! Idle Thumbs streams are back!

Edit: Some All of those old Twitch VOD links are broken. I hope they weren't purged from the servers  :wacko:

Another Edit: It seems they weren't purged, the links are just all wrong now. You can find the correct links on the channel profile page: https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/profile

Another Edit: It seems they weren't purged, the links are just all wrong now. You can find the correct links on the channel profile page: https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/profile

Check again! (I knew they were broken -- just wanted to get the thread up.) I will be going through and adding most of our past streams to this list. I'll also be archiving as many as I can on Youtube. Definitely let me know if there are any other errors! 

Check again! (I knew they were broken -- just wanted to get the thread up.) I will be going through and adding most of our past streams to this list. I'll also be archiving as many as I can on Youtube. Definitely let me know if there are any other errors! 

Cool. Thanks Nick!

Nick isn't the hero we deserve, but he is the hero we need.

Just added original air dates to these, since most of the YouTube ones won't reflect the real dates they were recorded.

Whooo really fun stream today! I'm sad for the loss of Similar Face but I feel Ted Crews will bring an enlightened Breckon to victory.

I just updated the Dark Souls III stream descriptions to include the cocktails prepared in each. I remember today's since it was so recent, but can anyone who has recently watched Part I confirm that the three drinks were a Mai Tai, a Royal Hawaiian Cocktail, and a Hurricane?

I just updated the Dark Souls III stream descriptions to include the cocktails prepared in each. I remember today's since it was so recent, but can anyone who has recently watched Part I confirm that the three drinks were a Mai Tai, a Royal Hawaiian Cocktail, and a Hurricane?

I made a super good mai tai tonight and am really pleased with myself over it. (The resort style ones with a bunch of fruity shit in them, but the non terrible version of that kind.) I would be more than happy to make you guys some on the next stream. Maybe a Sidewinders Fang as well?

I made a super good mai tai tonight and am really pleased with myself over it. (The resort style ones with a bunch of fruity shit in them, but the non terrible version of that kind.) I would be more than happy to make you guys some on the next stream. Maybe a Sidewinders Fang as well?

Do it! Next Sunday hopefully.

Oh man, I forgot to tune in yesterday :(

At least I beat DS3 myself during that time.

After staying up to watch the last stream I learned my lesson and caught this one on archive - 4.30 AM is not a good time to go to bed on a functionally weekday evening.

I'm getting a bit anxious about your alcohol intake though guys, please don't feel you have to keep the getting hammered part up on my account at least. I'd rather just have more of these cool streams!

Just found the vod of the DayZ stream that was re-uploaded recently. I can't believe I spent an hour watching someone ride a bike and roll down a hill.

But I'd do it again.

The streams are brilliant, and it's brilliant that you're planning on doing more. Can't often get involved live (stupid time zones, stupid spherical earth) but really love watching the videos!