Sign in to follow this  
clyde

Phones

I've been on iOS for a few years now and I've yet to use iTunes. You don't need to use it for anything.

I've been on iOS for a few years now and I've yet to use iTunes. You don't need to use it for anything.

Yeah, adding music and getting voice memos onto a PC.

Neither of which I've ever had to do. Obviously use cases will vary, but it's entirely possible to go without using it.

As someone who doesn't buy expensive phones, are iPhones still more expensive than comparably powerful models? I presume there's some amount of apple premium in the cost but I've never looked into what the gap is really like.

As someone who doesn't buy expensive phones, are iPhones still more expensive than comparably powerful models? I presume there's some amount of apple premium in the cost but I've never looked into what the gap is really like.

Base models are around the same price, but Apple still charges ~$100 for each internal memory upgrade

For some reason, the base model iPhone still comes with 16GB memory, which is nowhere near enough for anything, unless all you do is text and call people. My last phone was 16GB and I was constantly juggling music/apps/photos, so it's well worth getting at least the.. 64? now. Pretty sure it's 16, 64, 128 now. And yeah, the size premium doesn't make much sense.

For some reason, the base model iPhone still comes with 16GB memory, which is nowhere near enough for anything, unless all you do is text and call people. My last phone was 16GB and I was constantly juggling music/apps/photos, so it's well worth getting at least the.. 64? now. Pretty sure it's 16, 64, 128 now. And yeah, the size premium doesn't make much sense.

Do iPhones not have babySD card support? My phone only has 2GB built in which is a real pain but is definitely usable.

I thought the same, but it's yet to be an issue. Managing memory between built-in and removable storage was a pain in the ass when I was on Android. Some stuff wouldn't update (or even work) right unless it was on one or the other, or system updates wouldn't work unless there was x amount of space. Now? It literally just works. If you don't want to spend a bunch on a brand new one, refurbs and used ones can be gotten at rather good prices, and Apple refurbished units are fantastic, often less likely to fail than brand new ones.

When I had an android device, I always had the weirdest problems with things randomly writing to the tiny built in storage instead of the removable storage, or apps that were built to be completely unaware of removable storage, or whatever other weird problems cropped up that I can't remember. I remember it not being a problem often, but being very frustrating when it was.

Also this was years ago, so it could have been fixed by now.

I just use removable storage for media and built in for apps. I'm sure refurbished are good but I try to avoid breaking the 200 barrier on phones which is entirely out of iPhone range I think.

Oh yeah all my pricing is without contracts. You pay more total on a contract so I always have to pay the real price for phones. That's part of what makes this conversation confusing (and online phone reviews questionable)

Just googled and hoo boy it's €500.

It looks like the Lumia 650 is 229 euros. I have a windows phone and really like it. There are apps that don't really exist for windows phone, which is most people's primary complaints. Here are a couple examples: snapchat, tinder, miitomo & in my experience banking apps

I really like it tho. It has twitter & facebook messenger & i really like windows 10's version of outlook and cortana is super convenient. I don't begrudge anyone for not being interested in it for limited app selection, but i think the stuff it does, it does well.

I got last year in June a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact to replace my broken Nexus 4 that I dropped on concrete floor by accident.

I was happy with the Nexus 4 for the over two years that I had it, but this Z3 Compact is clearly the best phone I've ever had, really nice build quality and a dedicated photo button, really awesome battery performance and Sony's Stamina mode to save battery in low charge situations is also really great. Camera is also light years beyond what I had in Nexus 4. N4's camera was really crappy. Also pretty much all better Sony phones have for years already had the certifications for dustproof and waterproof. Mine is also such. It just blows my mind that for example all Apple devices are still not dustproof or especially waterproof certified.

Z3 Compact is also getting Android 6.0 now as it was announced last weekend, some regions already got it, we poor Nordic country people are still waiting for the update to arrive. Shame that pretty much all OEM are not taking into use the Marshmallow big update feature which is the part that SD card could be used as part of the internal memory to have a bigger space for apps. I have also some problems with this since I'd really like to have more than 16GB of space. Maybe I should install less apps then? I have no problems with photos or music or other removable media since I have 64GB microSD card in the phone and it works perfectly for that. So mainly the 16GB is just filling up because of apps. Like just Miitomo takes 600MB of space, wtf?

My wife got two months ago Z5 Compact from Sony and it's also very nice, it has the fingerprint lock thingy that is in some modern phones, also 32GB of internal space which is something I wish I had.

The thing I love about Sony phones is that their current UI is quite close to vanilla Android and I really liked the vanilla Android experience with Nexus devices. I hate heavily customized UI skins.

just Miitomo takes 600MB of space, wtf?

The worst part of that is that the store lists it as 32MB because most of the data is downloaded after the fact. Which also makes me suspect that they plan to keep adding to that size as they make new contenttm.

The most annoying part of that file size is that even if I choose in app details that "move to SD card", it moves like 20MB to SD card and the rest stays in the internal memory. Just madness!

SBM, my 16GB iphone 6 was €200 with a 24 month €55 a month contract. I sold my iphone 5 to CEX for €170 which was nice. You could maybe look at prices there?

Oh yeah I didn't think of there. I'm generally averse to second hand phones cause new ones are fragile enough but I think CEX give warranties.

Also €55 a month!? That's at least three times what I pay with prepay.

Ya, CEX take your phone when you sell it and check it out before handing over your cash gold. Hence they are happy to give warranties.

re expensive phone bill: you're NOT MY MOM

Ya, CEX take your phone when you sell it and check it out before handing over your cash gold. Hence they are happy to give warranties.

re expensive phone bill: you're NOT MY MOM

Actually, I am 

-Love,

mom

PS Derek, what is an iPhone!!?