Problem Machine

Idle Streaming Community: Twitchy, Tasty

5 hours ago, Rilen said:

I'm streaming at  https://www.twitch.tv/meatandbones

I'm going to be doing Resident Evil 7 playable teaser right now, then some small games starting with Petrograd!

Great to see you in chat. :D  So glad to be adding new people to the autohost list.  :3

I'd like to try my hand at streaming as well. Unfortunately I'm in a moving house limbo and I've only got access to a laptop atm. I'm guessing that streaming from a laptop over wifi is not the best possible experience?

35 minutes ago, Apelsin said:

I'd like to try my hand at streaming as well. Unfortunately I'm in a moving house limbo and I've only got access to a laptop atm. I'm guessing that streaming from a laptop over wifi is not the best possible experience?

My early test streams were along those lines and worked okay, but it depends on the laptop and the wifi, as well as the choice of game to stream.

8 hours ago, Apelsin said:

Aye test it out, if you can run the game then that's a plus, the other is if your CPU can handle the stream load.  Just keep an eye on your laptop tho, don't want it overheating and melting. :o

I have been playing around with streaming a bit. Hopefully my next apartment will have better internet and I can do it more. For now I set up Hearts of Iron 4 games and run them while at work. I have previously done things like have every nation declare war on each other or had every nation have one of each ideological advisor leading to tons of civil wars. I want to stream Astroneer and after I get a webcam some VR games if my CPU can handle it.

https://www.twitch.tv/corde0s

Hey everybody! Long time thumbs listener, recent forum subscriber. Mostly to get in on this TwitchyThumbs action.

I stream very sporadically, and as much to archive my play as anything else. I don't normally talk unless someone joins the channel and talks to me. Then I have a great time chatting back and forth. But if I'm by myself or I don't know anyone is there I won't be talking.

I play Souls games, RPGs, and whatever other random junk strikes my fancy. If anyone ever wants to pop in I can be found at:
https://www.twitch.tv/evilskillit

2 hours ago, evilskillit said:

I play Souls games, RPGs, and whatever other random junk strikes my fancy. If anyone ever wants to pop in I can be found at:

https://www.twitch.tv/evilskillit

Added, followed. Also autohosted everyone who's in the first topic. Hopefully once we get enough people into this we can get 24-hour thumbsnetwork streaming. It's great to see this topic gaining traction after being dormant for a few months.

10 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

Hopefully once we get enough people into this we can get 24-hour thumbsnetwork streaming.

I want 'dis

I kind of like the gaps! It's very Thumbsy to be able to ask if anyone wants to stream, and be like "oh no, please, after you"

3 hours ago, Rilen said:

I kind of like the gaps! It's very Thumbsy to be able to ask if anyone wants to stream, and be like "oh no, please, after you"

'dis the best community.  I feel sorta bad since I can't really do that because *schedule*.

I would feel kind of bad if my first post on the forums would be self-advertising, so I might hold off on that. I only stream about once a week anyway, but I will check out some of you guys.

48 minutes ago, RBoots said:

I would feel kind of bad if my first post on the forums would be self-advertising, so I might hold off on that. I only stream about once a week anyway, but I will check out some of you guys.

Nah friend, SELF ADVERTISE YO.

Man, streaming is fun! I've started streaming recently, because only now do I have a computer fast enough to stream AND a connection fast enough to stream, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. 95% of the time I'm streaming my Company of Heroes 2 shoutcasts, which I used to just record alone and then upload to YouTube. Now I stream while I record and then later upload to YouTube like normal. It's fun to have people to interact with while I commentate on the games. One difficulty is that I think it's going to be harder to grow my audience as I did with YouTube, because people can't really stumble on to you unless you're streaming, whereas YouTube lends itself to a slow burn sort of thing where I just accumulated subscribers over time.

I set up this neat little Revlo thing so that viewers earn little "Tychoins" as they watch my channel, and then they can spend them on stuff. Mostly that's there so that they can bet on the matches I'm shoutcasting which is exciting, but I gotta think up some fun things to spend the coins on.

I've been testing streaming for a couple of days now, and might take the plunge, buy a decent webcam/mic and go for it. (might need some better lighting for streaming outside work hours as well)

anyway, for very eventual streams you can go to twitch.tv/ratamero. There's a couple of Flotilla adventures and about half an hour of FFVI in the videos section already.

Okeedokee. For the past 5 or 6 people I haven't really had a strong idea what to put for stream content or schedule info under the channel link, so if anyone has any preference what should go there just let me know and I'll edit it in. Also if someone happens to know a way to do this that simultaneously doesn't require constant maintenance from me and isn't especially vulnerable to vandalism, do let me know.

So I've been thinking about scheduling, and I know that stable schedule is supposed to be one of the keys to a successful channel, but -- do you think people might be into the idea of a channel that could stream at literally any time on the clock? Because with my sleep issues that's the most likely form any kind of regular streaming would take, and I'm wondering if I could turn those lemons into lemonade. Or maybe I'll take another run at scheduling myself, I was just curious how people would react to a channel that said "streaming schedule: ?????????????"