Problem Machine

Idle Streaming Community: Twitchy, Tasty

That would be great!

I would love to stream. I even carved time out to stream and okayed it with the GF, but she (unintentionally) sends me on a guilt trip every time I go up to the office to do it. She's very supportive, she even asked me about it the other day, but trying to be structured takes just that much more out of the spontaneity of life at home, even if that's spontaneously sitting on the couch for an hour or two.

If whomever can get the Thumbs to make a team I would love to be a part of it.

Re: Audio - I was loaned a snowball mic from a friend, but I'm seriously considering swapping to this kind of setup. http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-set-up-a-streaming-studio-for-under-150/ I've already massively upgraded my pc both because it was time and I wanted to have a better streaming setup, it's just the little details now. Codifying an audio setup, setting up the green screen in a reasonable way, figuring out the best presentation.

52 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

That would be great!

I would love to stream. I even carved time out to stream and okayed it with the GF, but she (unintentionally) sends me on a guilt trip every time I go up to the office to do it. She's very supportive, she even asked me about it the other day, but trying to be structured takes just that much more out of the spontaneity of life at home, even if that's spontaneously sitting on the couch for an hour or two.

If whomever can get the Thumbs to make a team I would love to be a part of it.

Re: Audio - I was loaned a snowball mic from a friend, but I'm seriously considering swapping to this kind of setup. http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-set-up-a-streaming-studio-for-under-150/ I've already massively upgraded my pc both because it was time and I wanted to have a better streaming setup, it's just the little details now. Codifying an audio setup, setting up the green screen in a reasonable way, figuring out the best presentation.

It's tough to work it out with a SO.  I discussed it with mine and based my schedule around when he's at work or asleep so that we still get time together and I can do my chores etc.  Right now I'm not working so it's easier to do.   Your snowball will still be pretty good, my pal  has one and her audio quality is fine.

26 minutes ago, Feeona said:

It's tough to work it out with a SO.  I discussed it with mine and based my schedule around when he's at work or asleep so that we still get time together and I can do my chores etc.  Right now I'm not working so it's easier to do.   Your snowball will still be pretty good, my pal  has one and her audio quality is fine.

Oh the snowball is great! I don't own it though! He is also interested in doing dev streaming so at some point the mic will be called back.

I feel like I need to plan to stream. Some days this week I've come home and I'm just... tired. Ok well I played 3 games of rocket league, installed a game, did one set of adventures in Diablo 3, did 2 titanfall multiplayer matches...

That's not a very fun stream to watch. I promised myself that I could only buy Deus Ex if I streamed the whole thing. I don't own Deus Ex yet. :P

But I desperately want to do this hobby. It is exciting to think about. I love tinkering. I want to do it. I'm just facing (perceived) internal and external challenges.

43 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

Oh the snowball is great! I don't own it though! He is also interested in doing dev streaming so at some point the mic will be called back.

I feel like I need to plan to stream. Some days this week I've come home and I'm just... tired. Ok well I played 3 games of rocket league, installed a game, did one set of adventures in Diablo 3, did 2 titanfall multiplayer matches...

That's not a very fun stream to watch. I promised myself that I could only buy Deus Ex if I streamed the whole thing. I don't own Deus Ex yet. :P

But I desperately want to do this hobby. It is exciting to think about. I love tinkering. I want to do it. I'm just facing (perceived) internal and external challenges.

Set yourself a really low goal, (like what you do in CBT) of like one stream a week.  You won't beat yourself up then if you plan three and can only do two.

Any game can be fun to watch, just chat through it talk about what your thought processes are and interact with chat. 

If you are desperate to do it, do it.  Don't set high goals, don't worry about the challenges nor keep putting it off for the perfect setup.  There's still loads of things I want to do to change my setup but in time I'll get there. :)

2 hours ago, Badfinger said:

I definitely felt the same way  when I first streamed - I just did bits and pieces and didn't feel like that was terribly exciting for people to watch either.  I don't think it's worth pushing yourself to stream if you aren't feeling it especially if you're attempting to stream after a long day of work.  Or, like I did today, when you're sick.  
I'm finding it a bit easier as a beginner to just stream a game as I play through it, I think having something fresh you are reacting to really helps.
I would also be down for Team Thumbs - but I can see why they might not be keen in the interest of keeping the Idle Thumbs name to just specifically the content they create.  If we could get a readers team going at some point that would be pretty awesome though!  

23 minutes ago, Treasure Goblin said:

I definitely felt the same way  when I first streamed - I just did bits and pieces and didn't feel like that was terribly exciting for people to watch either.  I don't think it's worth pushing yourself to stream if you aren't feeling it especially if you're attempting to stream after a long day of work.  Or, like I did today, when you're sick.  
I'm finding it a bit easier as a beginner to just stream a game as I play through it, I think having something fresh you are reacting to really helps.
I would also be down for Team Thumbs - but I can see why they might not be keen in the interest of keeping the Idle Thumbs name to just specifically the content they create.  If we could get a readers team going at some point that would be pretty awesome though!  

Totally agree, I'm not sure how they want to work their brand so is why I put it out there anyway. Maybe if I keep powering on then I'll get partnership one day and thus the Thumbs Team shall live. XD

I was doing some test recording with a less shitty mic I just bought, and I forgot how weird my voice sounds. I know this is a common phenomenon, it's just a part of recording myself that I had forgotten about.

42 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

I was doing some test recording with a less shitty mic I just bought, and I forgot how weird my voice sounds. I know this is a common phenomenon, it's just a part of recording myself that I had forgotten about.

My voice sounds weird to me too. It's the worst.

You really have to kind of detach the idea that it is your own voice when you are reviewing your speech. Artosis, considered by many to be the most eminent esports commentator, often talks about how he too hates listening to his own voice, but it's his job so he has to pay attention closely to how he sounds and presents himself. It's harder than most people realise!

After watching Nick stream Dark Souls, my buddy convinced me to give Bloodborne a try. It was a frustrating couple of hours, and they're all streamed here, but it was punctuated by this wonderful moment. After dying a bunch of times to that troll sneaking up on me, I decided to take him on and also managed to get VERY LUCKY. 

44 minutes ago, RubixsQube said:

After watching Nick stream Dark Souls, my buddy convinced me to give Bloodborne a try. It was a frustrating couple of hours, and they're all streamed here, but it was punctuated by this wonderful moment. After dying a bunch of times to that troll sneaking up on me, I decided to take him on and also managed to get VERY LUCKY. 

I love it!  "Troll, I want you to go suck on a dic- Ooo a Torch!"

I'm dipping my toes into the streaming waters too.

My channel is www.twitch.tv/superbiasedman.

No set schedule, likely to be around 7pm-11pm GMT (2pm-7pm EST) Monday - Thursday

I plan to stream some wizard jam games, but beyond that I'm not sure. I test streamed Overwatch and Dark Souls 1 but I'd like to stream something I'm new to.

Also side note, badfinger's URL in the first post is his old account. It's sadfinger instead of his updated https://www.twitch.tv/badfingertv.

And I think we can ping @Jake to ask if Idlethumbs would want to set up a team for the community streamers. Hope he doesn't feel put on the spot by it ^^'

7 hours ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

I'm dipping my toes into the streaming waters too.

My channel is www.twitch.tv/superbiasedman.

No set schedule, likely to be around 7pm-11pm GMT (2pm-7pm EST) Monday - Thursday

I plan to stream some wizard jam games, but beyond that I'm not sure. I test streamed Overwatch and Dark Souls 1 but I'd like to stream something I'm new to.

Also side note, badfinger's URL in the first post is his old account. It's sadfinger instead of his updated https://www.twitch.tv/badfingertv.

And I think we can ping @Jake to ask if Idlethumbs would want to set up a team for the community streamers. Hope he doesn't feel put on the spot by it ^^'

Actually badfinger said he would just continue to stream on his old channel (and he did in fact stream from that channel a couple of days ago) because he's still got more followers on it.

Thank you both for reading various blatherings I've written about my dumb twitch channel!

Yes, I think it's easier for me to just stay with twitch.tv/sadfinger because through various stream things and an event I have a few dozen followers and a few hundred views on that channel. I think the "brand management" thing when there's no actual product was a silly leap for me doing busywork to make all the names the same instead of just streaming.

I just finished my second Dark Souls 2 run, so I'll probably be back to Nuclear Throne and Battlerite for the foreseeable future (unless I ever figure out an interesting way to stream writing.)

Thanks everyone for dropping by throughout the process!

Anyone have opinions on what level is best to set AutoMod at? Currently I am thinking about setting it to moderate everything but generic profanity

While it is great to see Twitch take active steps to try and improve chat moderation tools, I definitely think it is really unfortunate that user's don't have more granular control over each of those categories. Like, I want bigotry and hate speech to be rigorously filtered out, but I don't really care if people use bad language or make sex jokes, but you can't make that distinction with the set of choices offered. It's not personally important for me since I only stream to like 2 or 3 people, but I think for a tool set like that to be useful more granularity is needed.

Also I will try to stream more as like a new year's resolution or something.

I started streaming some Ori and the Blind Forest tonight which I haven't played before, and boy did I have an experience.  I thought this seemed more difficult than it needed to be.  Turns out, it was more difficult than it needed to be.

Sounds like what happened to Chris when he was trying to dive to the bottom of a pool  and get back out just in time to not drown, when there were later power ups that would have made it trivial.

Okay, I think I've added everyone to my auto-host channels and set them to host randomly if you guys are ever streaming at the same time (no favourite children ;P).

My channel is https://www.twitch.tv/fifogamedev, I've been streaming the Wizard Jam entries. I'm hoping to let the good times roll and play through some of the GameMaker gm(48) game jam games once I'm done, and then finally onto a series where I play at least one hour of every game that I've never started up in my Steam library (there are so many of these that I'm kind of scared).

I'm Australian but I tend to stream in the morning and the evening, so hopefully see a couple different crowds.

Hey Thumbs Community! 

My stream link is www.twitch.tv/bmasta64

I stream every other night when i don't have my vile extended family in my house from 8pm est-12pm est (roughly) I mostly stream Overwatch on Xbox. Also, whatever else just catches my fancy after I get tilted from competitive.