Problem Machine

Idle Streaming Community: Twitchy, Tasty

I literally just streamed for the first time (A binding of isaac daily challenge run), but forgot to change my setting to automatically archive the stream so it's gone forever, oops?  Anyway I'm going to try and build up my confidence streaming some more!  I'm generally most likely going to be streaming roguelikes/roguelites, and maybe the occasional RPG.  I'm not really going to have a set schedule, but i'll probably do a bit now that I'm just working and not at uni for a couple of months.  
https://www.twitch.tv/thelunarcat 
Edit: I'm not super comfortable with a webcam setup yet but I have an Australian accent which is either nice or incredibly unappealing 

4 hours ago, Treasure Goblin said:

I literally just streamed for the first time (A binding of isaac daily challenge run), but forgot to change my setting to automatically archive the stream so it's gone forever, oops?  Anyway I'm going to try and build up my confidence streaming some more!  I'm generally most likely going to be streaming roguelikes/roguelites, and maybe the occasional RPG.  I'm not really going to have a set schedule, but i'll probably do a bit now that I'm just working and not at uni for a couple of months.  
https://www.twitch.tv/thelunarcat 
Edit: I'm not super comfortable with a webcam setup yet but I have an Australian accent which is either nice or incredibly unappealing 

Hurray I'm your first follower :D I'm Australian too so it'd be nice to hear a fellow accent :D 

Thanks Problem Machine and eRonin!  I'm pretty late to the party but i'll probably be streaming some Darkest Dungeon as I blindly stumble through that later on today if my internet allows for it!

On 12/9/2016 at 1:41 PM, Problem Machine said:

Excellent, added and followed. Also added Feeona while I was at it, hopefully she won't mind.

I never mind on all the things, thanks for keeping this up PM!  I was able to follow and set auto-host for a lot of Thumbs folks streams, yay!

On 10/22/2016 at 2:49 AM, Problem Machine said:

Excellent, added and followed.

I haven't been streaming much recently since I got a bit discouraged about how much work I was putting in for absolutely zero traction, but I'll probably at very least be streaming the Dark Souls 3 DLC when it comes out in a few days, and I may try to follow up with more afterwards. Streaming is fun, but difficult to pursue in a way that doesn't interfere with my other work.

Yeah, streaming is a lot more work than I think anyone expects.  My first week was a trial run because you're totally right, it IS exhausting. As a person I naturally tend to talk a whole bunch with animated features so generally WYSISWG with me and thus not having to put on an extra persona let's me stream for longer without exhausting myself.

Streaming now feels like something so natural to me just y'know, I had the fear because LADY ON THE WEBS.

4 hours ago, Feeona said:

Yeah, streaming is a lot more work than I think anyone expects.  My first week was a trial run because you're totally right, it IS exhausting. As a person I naturally tend to talk a whole bunch with animated features so generally WYSISWG with me and thus not having to put on an extra persona let's me stream for longer without exhausting myself.

Streaming now feels like something so natural to me just y'know, I had the fear because LADY ON THE WEBS.

Yeah for me I don't have to put on an extra persona or anything, I just have to be "on" in a way that I'm usually not for any extended period of time. Left to my own devices I usually don't talk a lot and spend my time on quiet pursuits like art and reading, so pushing myself into a sociable state is an act of some exertion for me. It's like going to a party, I have fun but I feel tired afterwards. It's distressing when it's just throwing that energy into a void, though. However, now that this ring of Idle Thumbs reader/streamers is starting to pick up a bit of steam, maybe it's time to give it another shot.

Another obstacle for me personally is I have a very difficult time sticking to schedules, due to extremely erratic sleep schedule and generally anti-temporal attitude. Perhaps I can view streaming as an opportunity to address this, though. Well, perhaps after XMas will be a good time for me to try to set up something regular and see if I can stick to it for a few weeks.

I'm super impressed by the setup you've got going already, with dedicated mic and webcam and nice schedule banner and an extremely ambitious schedule. I'm glad you're finding it suits you so well.

I'm noticing looking back that I didn't mention something I maybe should. If any of y'all like Symphony of the Night, a few months ago I played through it in a fairly thorough fashion trying to highlight my favorite parts of the game and talking about what I could learn from its approach to art and game design. The playlist for that is here.

9 hours ago, Feeona said:

Oh god, I know the feeling of terror about being a lady on the webs.  
The thing is that this is such a cool community it's really a great place to build a base of regular viewers because everyone is really cool about that stuff, and I think that will generally foster a healthy community around your streams as your viewership grows.  I also really admire how well you are doing given that you haven't been streaming for long at all!  Seeing your small, loyal, really lovely crew of regular viewers really helped inspire me to take the plunge, even if at the moment i'm just streaming a couple of daily challenges to begin with here and there.  Keep up the good work!  :tup:

14 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

Yeah for me I don't have to put on an extra persona or anything, I just have to be "on" in a way that I'm usually not for any extended period of time. Left to my own devices I usually don't talk a lot and spend my time on quiet pursuits like art and reading, so pushing myself into a sociable state is an act of some exertion for me. It's like going to a party, I have fun but I feel tired afterwards. It's distressing when it's just throwing that energy into a void, though. However, now that this ring of Idle Thumbs reader/streamers is starting to pick up a bit of steam, maybe it's time to give it another shot.

Another obstacle for me personally is I have a very difficult time sticking to schedules, due to extremely erratic sleep schedule and generally anti-temporal attitude. Perhaps I can view streaming as an opportunity to address this, though. Well, perhaps after XMas will be a good time for me to try to set up something regular and see if I can stick to it for a few weeks.

I'm super impressed by the setup you've got going already, with dedicated mic and webcam and nice schedule banner and an extremely ambitious schedule. I'm glad you're finding it suits you so well.

I'm noticing looking back that I didn't mention something I maybe should. If any of y'all like Symphony of the Night, a few months ago I played through it in a fairly thorough fashion trying to highlight my favorite parts of the game and talking about what I could learn from its approach to art and game design. The playlist for that is here.

I'm the same as you in that regards, I am a very introverted person who gets tired *extremely* quickly in social situations.  I don't know why but streams just don't drain me in the same way, in a way it almost adds to my daily spoons.

Oh man, you should totally go for it!  I am using the streams and schedule in a way for major self care, currently going through medication and help for my Bipolar which flared up very badly this year. It forces me to get up, washed, eat and be 'ready' to be online.  I'm also very very tired at the end of the night and it feels great to get some real sleep.  It might be the case that doing all this including the purchase of a new setup is my mania flaring but I'll roll with it, as long as I can manage it and still have energy for life/chores/husband then I'm good.  I'm here to cheer you on!

9 hours ago, Treasure Goblin said:

Oh god, I know the feeling of terror about being a lady on the webs.  
The thing is that this is such a cool community it's really a great place to build a base of regular viewers because everyone is really cool about that stuff, and I think that will generally foster a healthy community around your streams as your viewership grows.  I also really admire how well you are doing given that you haven't been streaming for long at all!  Seeing your small, loyal, really lovely crew of regular viewers really helped inspire me to take the plunge, even if at the moment i'm just streaming a couple of daily challenges to begin with here and there.  Keep up the good work!  :tup:

THE TERROR IS REAL.  And yes, the community is the best, such a healthy community with positive outlooks.  I really hope to catch one of your streams live (darn other side of the world future timelines!)!  Thank you for the well wishes.  ^__^

Yay you got to catch a bit of my stream!  I learned a lot from this stream because it was really the first one where I had any kind of audience interaction.  It was distracting but fun!   I think I really underestimated how hard it is to stream, but i really enjoyed it.  I think maybe while I get the hang of the stress of streaming I should probably play some more low key stuff, I've been debating picking up FFXV before or after christmas but either way I'll probably stream that.  I have also learned that I probably shouldn't stream first thing in the morning on an empty stomach :devil:  
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a slack channel so we could talk about streaming? Not necessarily as a way to just advertise but maybe just talk things through.  Just an idea.  

Nice to catch your stream too :) there were some audio balance issues that need to be sorted but that goes for literally every stream under the sun. Not being able to actively check audio during a stream, and having to depend on warm/cold feedback from chat is bleerggh.

Also yeah a slack channel could be good since I think people are starting to become more active about it. I think anyone can make a channel in the thumbs slack so I'll go ahead and make one now. Also twitch and discord has a cross-link thing that shows your status as streaming in the discord user-bar. 

Just now, eRonin said:

Nice to catch your stream too :) there were some audio balance issues that need to be sorted but that goes for literally every stream under the sun. Not being able to actively check audio during a stream, and having to depend on warm/cold feedback from chat is bleerggh.

Also yeah a slack channel could be good since I think people are starting to become more active about it. I think anyone can make a channel in the thumbs slack so I'll go ahead and make one now. Also twitch and discord has a cross-link thing that shows your status as streaming in the discord user-bar. 

Yeah I noticed that - I'm not using the best mic setup but i think it was also game-dependent because people said it was better in the Binding of Isaac than it was in Bloodborne.  It's kind of a catch 22 about streaming for me - I'd be happy to upgrade to having a camera setup and a better mic if I felt like streaming was becoming a bigger and more viable part of my life, but if I don't get that stuff sorted it might never move forward from what it is now.  

5 hours ago, Treasure Goblin said:

Yeah I noticed that - I'm not using the best mic setup but i think it was also game-dependent because people said it was better in the Binding of Isaac than it was in Bloodborne.  It's kind of a catch 22 about streaming for me - I'd be happy to upgrade to having a camera setup and a better mic if I felt like streaming was becoming a bigger and more viable part of my life, but if I don't get that stuff sorted it might never move forward from what it is now.  

I think your mic was fine, like the audio quality was good and your voice clear, it was just quieter than BB. :)

Ugh right?  That's the hardest part, parting with the money sucks but I guess if you enjoy it you can always save some money and think of it as your hobby, just like you'd save for any other. 

I don't know what your PC setup is like but perhaps it's worth it to hardcore save for a capture card?  That's my next goal because I really hate streaming without the camera and at the mercy of both the PS4's speeds (connected by ethernet and still the quality is a little shitty) and audio settings.

1 hour ago, Feeona said:

I think your mic was fine, like the audio quality was good and your voice clear, it was just quieter than BB. :)

Ugh right?  That's the hardest part, parting with the money sucks but I guess if you enjoy it you can always save some money and think of it as your hobby, just like you'd save for any other. 

I don't know what your PC setup is like but perhaps it's worth it to hardcore save for a capture card?  That's my next goal because I really hate streaming without the camera and at the mercy of both the PS4's speeds (connected by ethernet and still the quality is a little shitty) and audio settings.

My PC setup is pretty rudimentary at this stage - I'd love to save up eventually for a new gaming PC but that will be a long way off.  The PS4's speeds aren't great but I can a stream consistently working, albeit on low resolutions, so I think that is what i'll start with.  I'm super nervous about having a camera setup at the moment but once I'm streaming more confidently it's something I'll definitely think about adding!

9 hours ago, Treasure Goblin said:

My PC setup is pretty rudimentary at this stage - I'd love to save up eventually for a new gaming PC but that will be a long way off.  The PS4's speeds aren't great but I can a stream consistently working, albeit on low resolutions, so I think that is what i'll start with.  I'm super nervous about having a camera setup at the moment but once I'm streaming more confidently it's something I'll definitely think about adding!

Do whatever you are confident with, that's the main thing!  You spoke very clearly and easily chatted to me about BoI, explaining the things you like, the mechanics and story.  Everything felt very smooth and normal like you were talking to a friend so it was really enjoyable to watch. ^_^

Yes! Lunarcat you spoke very naturally as you were playing, which is something I struggle to do, even when I am no preoccupied with a game in front of me :D

Thanks ^_^ I really enjoyed streaming Hyper Light Drifter tonight and I'll continue that for the rest of the game.  I had some mild sound issues and my internet dropped out a couple of times in the middle but it was definitely more successful.  I guess like a lot of things streaming is something that really just takes a lot of time, effort and mild tweaking. 

1 hour ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

A partner has to do it, right? So, like, is anyone a partner?

1 hour ago, Problem Machine said:

Well, IdleThumbs is

That's what I was meaning, XD.  If the Thumbs wanted to do it they could create a team and add those Thumbs who are streamers. :D  Idk, I thought it would be a good way to knit the community together.