Problem Machine

Idle Streaming Community: Twitchy, Tasty

Wanted to call out that I've seen kickinthehead streaming on more than one occasion. I dropped into your channel. I have no idea what you're doing, but the presentation seemed very good!

If I wanted to try my hand at actually editing videos I capture, how would people suggest I do that? I am currently at the barest bones of "I pressed play, successfully captured the part of the screen I intended, and pressed stop". What's the idiot's entry level video program?

Thanks for watching Badfinger!

I should really investigate the free video editing programs, because I get that question a lot. Davinci Resolve is definitely the most high end free program out there that I know of, though I know it's mostly a color grading tool. I've never used Lightworks either, so I can't speak to its quality. That said I think it's almost guaranteed anything is better than iMovie or Windows Movie Maker.

I'm currently in the process of ordering parts for a new computer so I can FINALLY STREAM DARK SOULS 3 LIKE I WANTED TO ALL ALONG. If I haven't been around much, it's partially because I don't want to catch up on the cast until I play enough that I don't need to be afeared of spoilers.

YES I HAVE WEIRD PRIORITIES.

This thread is set to notify me though, so if anyone wants to get added to the first post or update their stream info just make a post here or pm me and I'll do that.

Oh and in case anyone's curious here's the computer I'm making. A friend of mine was kind enough to donate the video card and SSD, so I'ma be able to build the whole thing for like $350 :)

Hey all, bout to jump on and stream some Overwatch. I'm not great at the game by all means but maybe if any of you are on the fence about it, you can come check out the stream and ask me questions about the game =)

Got my new comp set up, will be streaming Dark Souls 3 starting at 1pm PST Monday and, if all goes well, continuing at 1pm PST all week.. Also continuing with music streaming, next one probably at like 8pm Monday.

Streaming a DS3 challenge run (broken sword only) in about 5 minutes at twitch.tv/kyir. I have no idea what I'm doing!

EDIT: Finished for now, but I stream pretty often!

Yeah, please. I don't have a set schedule, but it's usually some time in between 9 PM EST and 2 AM. Mostly Dark Souls 3 right now, but sometimes Nuclear Throne or assorted other games.

So I'm starting to develop a schedule I can actually kinda stick to for a while hopefully: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, 9-11pm PST. Currently doing a Soul Level 1 run of Dark Souls, may continue that into SL1 runs of DS2 and DS3 or do something else afterwards, haven't decided. Also open to suggestions if anyone has anything they'd like to see.

I really enjoyed your stream, PM. good exposition while you played.

I am also trying to develop a schedule for streaming. I think it's going to be my next hobby goal once I move! I'll have to establish a time and what I'm playing, but I'm excited about it.

I'm having a lot of trouble with stream quality, though. Thumbs running the same games on similar hardware are suggesting they're getting much higher quality. I was trying to stream overwatch and it was choppy compared to a barely faster processor. I don't know if I'm just more aware of how much cpu processing is getting chomped or if I'm actually maxing out when other people aren't. Frustrating.

e: Problem Machine, how did you land on your streaming schedule?

Hey Badfinger, I decided to run a test stream and actually focus on looking at the exact numbers since before I was giving you wishy washy values based on memory. I was still running at the "epic" preset, and was getting about 50-70fps in a bot match. Contrary to what I told you before, my CPU usage DID hit 100%, with OBS taking up ~40% and Overwatch ~30% while streaming at 1080p/60fps. For the record I normally get 100-120fps when I'm NOT streaming (my GPU is a GTX 980), so I'm definitely taking a hit as well. And also contrary to prior information, my CPU (i7-2600k) appears to be overclocked to 4.25GHz while I was playing, which I had no idea was happening since I could have sworn I did nothing to overclock it. 

I don't know if playing a bot match is more taxing on the CPU, but I'm pretty sure last time I was streaming real matches (the VOD of which I shared with you), I wasn't getting such drastic CPU usage resulting in choppiness and framerate reduction. 

Anyway so a few things: I'm getting more CPU usage than I thought I was, sorry! And I may be underestimating the difference between between a GTX 970 and a 980, but you getting ~40fps on "medium" settings and me getting ~55fps on "epic" while streaming seems a bit off! 

e: Problem Machine, how did you land on your streaming schedule?

Well, streaming every day was too stressful, so I figured three days a week was good to aim for. I've generally noticed more people randomly dropping in for nighttime streams, though it's hard to draw any broad conclusions since it's mostly just one or two people at a time, and I generally find it easier to do things late in the day so I have plenty of time to wake up and get other things done beforehand. Mostly it's just one I think I'll be able to maintain for a while -- schedules are hard to maintain for me, but I can usually manage to pull my shit together by 9pm :P

Hey guys, gonna try something crazy later today (in about an hour and a half from this post) and stream some Pokemon GO using Youtube Gaming.

Stream link is here, hopefully it works out:

https://gaming.youtube.com/raexis7/live 

High chance it'll crash and burn but hey that'll be fun to watch too

EDIT: so it crashed and burned, for various reasons like the wi-fi being really unstable and the Pokemon GO servers being down. I compromised and just did a local recording to my phone and uploaded it to youtube.

I decided to turn some of my video making efforts toward Youtube. Here is the first result, me playing some

Hi everyone. I have decided to #unify my #brand #platform to create #synergy between my #media #networks.

A million barfs.

I'm going to be http://twitch.tv/badfingertv now, after I realized that I am becoming more committed to Actually Streaming and that my youtube, twitter and twitch names were all different.

There is so much work that goes into creating this stuff! I still have no idea how to properly get my twitch stuff on to youtube without a second job of heavily editing. I've learned a lot about OBS and some other back end stuff in the last week, though.

In case you missed it in the news:

Amazon and Twitch are now intermingled. If you're subscribed to Amazon Prime, you can link your Twitch account, and that gives you a free subscription each month. (I think that's a $5 value?)

So I went ahead and subbed to the IdleThumbs stream, since I know they use all the proceeds to make the podcast/general community a better place. And it may even encourage them to stream more!

It resets each month, though, so make sure you're re-upping to keep those clutch emotes.

I'm subbed to thumbs already, but unfortunately Amazon Prime isn't a thing for me in Australia anyway :/

Excellent, added and followed.

I haven't been streaming much recently since I got a bit discouraged about how much work I was putting in for absolutely zero traction, but I'll probably at very least be streaming the Dark Souls 3 DLC when it comes out in a few days, and I may try to follow up with more afterwards. Streaming is fun, but difficult to pursue in a way that doesn't interfere with my other work.