melmer

TITANFLAPS 2

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

After being excited for this for so long and really enjoying the campaign, I've played precisely one multi-player game. I'm not sure why.

Having not played it, I still recommend playing another.

Apparently PSN in the UK are sending out vouchers to some users to get the digital PS4 edition for a little over £30. Xbox might be matching this too. I got one of the vouchers for PS4, and I'm tempted. The single player sounds really great and exactly the kind of thing I want to play, but I got a pretty strong vibe of 'this isn't for me' from the multiplayer beta and from watching the Giant Bomb quicklook. 

The problem is that I'm somewhat inept when it comes to speed and agility in PvP, and I feel like the relentless competitive pace of the wallrunning and doublejumping and quickscoping in multiplayer is going to become tiresome really quickly. I think Overwatch has somewhat spoiled me for other games in this regard with the sheer variety of roles it offers, but I'd really like to know if I'm missing something here. Are there viable medic or support options that I could be playing, or is it just a case of getting good at vaulting over the heads of other players and nailing them with a bit of the old L2-R2?

It's odd: I feel like a lot of people praised the first game as an accessible online shooter for people who didn't usually play online shooters, but the sequel seems to focus more on appealing to a hardcore audience. I wasn't super keen on the new bounty hunt mode, for example, which rewards players with money for killing AI mobs in the level, but then also gives an extra reward to people who can hunt down other players and steal their cash. It felt (at least in the beta) rather awful to be struggling to make some kind of small contribution to the team while the best players were just trying to grind my face into the dirt and take my lunch money.

I've just got the code emailed to me if anyone wants it. works out to be like £31 i think.

I believe the code only works in the UK/EU. Post a reply if you use it!

=============================================

The brilliant Titanfall 2 has been seriously discounted on PlayStation Store.

Get fired up for the top notch single player campaign and fight alongside your buddies in online multiplayer.

Better be quick though, the deal ends 23:59 GMT 23 November.

Redeem the exclusive voucher code below at the PlayStation Store checkout to save 43% on Titanfall 2.*

RNB7T9P7NH

countries code works in:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/titanfall2icd/

hmmmm i wonder if the code will only work on my account...

Hey Mington! I tried out the code but it said it wasn't valid for me. Maybe someone else already took it and hasn't said anything or it only works on your account. Just thought I should let you know!

3 hours ago, Dosed said:

Hey Mington! I tried out the code but it said it wasn't valid for me. Maybe someone else already took it and hasn't said anything or it only works on your account. Just thought I should let you know!

If you still want it I can PM you mine to try. The codes are unique but I doubt they're linked to specific accounts.

Movement in this game, especially with the grappling hook, is so intoxicating to me that I barely care about how well I or my team are doing, unless we're losing so bad that I die within seconds of respawning every time. I don't mind losing or winning, I just love running and jumping around and often shooting some guys in a cacophony of gunfire and explosions.

So, where are people playing this? It's currently on sale on Xbone, PS4, and Origin and I'm willing to try any of them. Where is the Thumb community at?

I've been playing on PS4.  Steve created an Idle Thumbs network back during the beta and I'm still part of it, but it's really tiny and there's never anyone online, so I've been switching over to the Giant Bomb or Waypoint networks.

So am I to assume from the lack of response that there ISN'T really a thumbs community for this? I've heard that console has more players right now in general, so am leaning that way. I think I'd honestly rather play it with an Xbone controller than those squishy PS4 triggers, but a more involved thumb community would push me the other way. I need to make the call before bed tonight, so get back at me if you're playing somewhere specific!

36 minutes ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

Some day I want to buy this for PC but I have Overwatch and BF1 right now so I'm waiting for a bit of a sale at least.

It's actually on sale right now.
If you put TITAN20 in the promo code box on Origin, It's $32

As someone playing on probably one of the smallest communities (a pc version in Australia) I see why people worry about the playerbase, but at the same time it's not something that should turn you off buying the game. Peak population here is about 200+ playing attrition, and 40+ playing mixtape, but you know what, I got titanfall 1 for $30 back when it was ~100 playing attrition and that was it, and that was still worth it to me.

Also, this game is likely to have a pretty long tail.  Even the original still has players, and I expect the free DLC and inevitable release on EA access a few years down the line will be sure to keep the population stable for a while, if not allow it to grow.

18 hours ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

uh.... more of a sale.

It's probably not going to be more deeply discounted than it is right at this moment, in the calendar year it was released, until like 2019. If all you want is single player so you can look back and go "Oh, THAT'S what people were talking about" then yeah sure wait, but otherwise it will meet but likely not exceed this sale price so if you want the multiplayer now's the time.

If 55% off isn't enough, then this probably isn't something you really want (this is the calculus I personally use during sales anymore to prune my wishlists).

There's no harm in making a Thumbs "group", but there aren't really any benefits from having 7 people in a group and no one on simultaneously except to have [IDLE] in front of your name when you're in a match. I have it on PC, and while I'm very impressed with the controller support (it's the best playing FPS with a controller, eatin Destiny's lunch), MAN a mouse and keyboard is the way to play this. I bet it'll have a bigger community on PS4 though.

I have it on PC, though I've only played 5-ish games. 

Being in a group also gets you the happy hour bonus, so it's not completely pointless. Sadly, the Waypoint group on PC is almost always empty, but there's tons of folks online in the Giant Bomb group.

On 11/27/2016 at 0:37 PM, clyde said:

Okay somehow I fucked up my reply box and I have to quote clyde and I can't quote anyone else, but uh: Badfinger it turns out that via the promo code clyde edited in, it's even cheaper, so I bought it. I'm TychoCelchuuu on Origin if anyone wants to add me! I played a bit last night and had a ton of fun. I loved the original game and this is pretty much more of the same.

I ended up going with PS4 and am in love with the campaign right now. Also jumped in for a few rounds of multiplayer. I can see the appeal, but am terrible. Is anyone still active for games, or should I sign on with Giant Bomb if I'm looking to play with folks?

So I finished the campaign and was jonesing for more. I'm digging into the multiplayer for the first time in any game ever. I have never played a COD online. I have never played an online game that hasn't been a Thumbs community event, to be honest. I... I think I really like Amped Hardpoint. This is a fun game. I just hit level 10. I don't know what it is that makes Titanfall different, but I love the whole feel of it. I'm also terrible, especially since I waited until the game was on sale so I'm trying to learn how to play by having my ass kicked repeatedly by people who have already prestiged twice. I think that's what put me off of Attrition mode. I just get blown up a million times and am lucky to get a kill each match. In Hardpoint, I feel like I'm making a difference to the game. Last round, I snuck up and did an execution on a defender, took and amped a point, then called my titan in en route to another point before killing one titan there and going nuclear on another, taking it out with my MGL as I fell back to earth. Feels great and I love doing it. I'll stop bumping this thread over and over after this, but I wanted to at least throw out there that for someone who is actually the full definition of a n00b, this may be my entry into online gaming and I'm having a great time.

I enjoy reading your impressions and war-stories even though I haven't played the game. I just don't comment unless I have something to say.

Respawn, from their cod4 pedigree I assume, have some godlike ability to induce flow states. Even in quiet moments in matches you're constantly on edge, jumping around and checking your minimap for the nearest bad guy. The movement controls are so intuitive and lend themselves to allowing anyone to pull off the smoothest shit when they get lucky. I've had grapples so well timed and placed, less and less by fluke the more I play, that'll just carve the sleekest, sexiest arc through the air to drop me in a window. A window that is just big enough to allow you no loss of momentum going through if you hit it perfect. Threading the goddamn needle like that is so sublime and it makes me feel like a goofball when I gasp or moan out loud even though I'm alone in the room.

I agree that as an entry into anonymous online gaming, in shooters or in general, you'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative. Barely anyone says anything, including slurs or other abuse, because they're all just as hypnotised by the experience. Even when they do talk it's well mannered, as there's no grounds for beef when you don't really need your teammates for anything, and dying comes with only a few seconds long time penalty. I'd recommend anyone who enjoyed the campaign to just jump in and pretend the other players are just bots who will probably kick your ass for a while (speaking of which: turning up the FOV if you can helps a ton with avoiding getting shot. Default is 70, which doesn't grant enough situational awareness imo for the kind of game that it is).

Edited additional side note: aim assist is very generous for controllers if you're on PC. You won't be sniping anyone from across the map, but for mid and close ranged shooting, I use a XB1 gamepad and do not feel disadvantaged against m&kb players at all (do swap the assist style from classic to steady in the options, tho).

I'd highly recommend the new Bounty Hunt mode. It has some AI to kill like attrition, but the constantly moving goals keep one team from locking an area down and owning it the whole match.

So I just got this for ps4, playing through the singleplayer campaign, and tried a multiplayer round (attrition mode, I think) and actually had a lot of fun in multiplayer.  I didn't feel like I was dead weight, killed some titans and some other players, and jumped from level 1 to level 4 at the end of the round.  I think their matchmaking paired me with a bunch of other scrubs like me but I had no objection.  If any other thumbs are still playing, hit me up!