melmer

TITANFLAPS 2

(Also not a fan of SP FPS campaigns in general. There's a tedium there that I haven't been able to capture in words, but my interest in T2 was solely in MP)

Does this distaste for single-player fps campaigns apply to Far Cry 2?

Does this distaste for single-player fps campaigns apply to Far Cry 2?

I've, uh, never played FC2....

Open-world SP FPSs (OWSPFPSs) fare a little better for me. But there's something about them that still wears thin much faster that most genres. Even playing the short Titanflaps 2 tutorial I was like "OMG is this almost over". I'll talk to my therapist on Monday about it to see if I can coax out the root of my emotional distress and report back.  :)

I dropped a shit ton of time into this again and those two first maps are fucking awful. the new one Kodau outpost, or whatever, is much improved on them.

Everything about Homestead sucks, on every mode currently available, it encourages break away wins. By that I mean that once a team gets ahead the other team have to be really good (which they won't be because they were losing) to have a chance to get back in the game. Bounty Hunt, Hardpoint and Pilot vs Pilot are pretty much decided by about half way through the game and it is just a matter of waiting to die.

Boomtown is cramped and awful.

That said the outpost level is one of my favourite of all titanfall levels and works well with every game mode. The multi tiered nature means that no one build type can dominate and it ven has a an area that works as a fuck you to the orange halo.  If the rest of the maps are like it then that would be awesome.

Bounty Hunt is the best of the three modes but it suffers from encouraging camping - the fact that you lose half your score when you die undermines the free runnjjng element.

The concept of the rodeo run makes more sense now they explained it - it doesn't fully work because a pilot is far more vulnerable now but I at least like what they are trying to do.

I didn't mention it before but the audio is incredible.

Tweaks have been made and it definitely plays better than the first Tech Test. I am less bummed by the game and can see some of the improvements, sort of. I still find the health bars and pacing a little off.

So, played Titanfall 2 with three other people that have played a lot of Titanfall and love it.

It was rough. I tried to guide them through how Bounty Hunt works and get them used to the maps, but the response was unanimously negative. One of the guys lasted two matches and pretty much rage quit (he was a bit hungover, to be fair), my other friend decided he had a headache and didn't want to play anymore. 

Even with me explaining how the game mode worked, explaining the changes in mobility and also point out the Titan tweaks, these guys were not having any of it.

The remaining  three of us then played a few rounds of Titanfall and we lost the first Last Titan Standing match and then dominated a Pilot Hunter match. Both of them articulated something really important - they were still having fun while losing.

Titanfall 2 is missing something pretty fucking vital.

I wonder if the focus on the grappling hook has made traversal less interesting? In TF1 I knew routes around maps to scale buildings in seconds. In TF2 I'm hooking onto ledges to get onto roofs and flailing around when I overshoot and go boosting into the air above where I wanted to land. It feels imprecise and floaty compared to how snappy wallrunning was.

I agree that TF2 is definitely missing *something*, but I'm still having trouble figuring out exactly what it is.

Listening to Gerstmann talk about it on the Bombcast got me to spend $48 unwise dollars on ordering it from Amazon with the Prime discount. This month I've made a lot of bad purchasing decisions.

Yeah, after playing Gears of War 4 and Titanfall 2 beta, and playing Far Cry 3... I am starting to realise that as much as I respect his opinions, I have very different tastes in video games to Gerstmann.

4 hours ago, twmac said:

Yeah, after playing Gears of War 4 and Titanfall 2 beta, and playing Far Cry 3... I am starting to realise that as much as I respect his opinions, I have very different tastes in video games to Gerstmann.

I'm in the same boat. He hates my favorite games, enjoys the Saint's Row series, and frequently suggests improvements that would ruin the game imo. To each their own though. It is great when you find a reviewer whose taste resonates with your own. I haven't listened to Rebel FM in a long time, but when I did, Anthony Gallegos's responses to games were uncannily similar to my own which was rather useful. Now I have too much to play anyway.

8 hours ago, twmac said:

Yep, I love Jeff and I do enjoy listening him talk about games he is excited about, but  we rarely agree on games.

*shrug* I find I agree with him and Brad quite a bit, at least when it comes to action and strategy type games. I guess the fun of personality based video games journalism is finding the reviewers out there that like the same games you do.

Played a couple of rounds before bed. It definitely has that Titanfall feel, maps I played were good, feels good. 

I also played Attrition, so maybe just Bounty Hunt is the actual problem. 

Hmmm. Maybe it just was the game modes.

Still, I can't afford to take that risk - 50 quid for a game that demo'd so badly is too much  for me.

Interesting Dewar, I think that Brad and Jeff both have tastes in games (except for Saints Row) that I strongly disagree with. Actually, I don't think I am particularly excited about any of the games that the Giant Bomb team enthuse about. Doesn't stop me from listening to them though as I appreciate their points, and sometimes (Saints Row) they turn me on to game that I really enjoy.

They are so wrong about EDF.

On 10/27/2016 at 3:19 AM, twmac said:

The Bombcast literally sold me the game. I am 100% in lockstep with Jeff on Titanfall. If he likes 2 I will like 2 (boy am I liking). I did end up buying Gears whichI have a little remorse for, not because the game's bad (it's good and I don't have Gears fatigue, this is my first campaign), but just due to spending the money. I played 90 minutes of the single player campaign for Titanfall last night and I have absolutely 0 buyer's remorse. I tried it with a controller, and here I said it: it's the best FPS controller experience that exists. Better than Destiny don't @me.

The experience of the sound and fury of the titan dropping out of the sky, and mounting the titan and having the screens flicker on as you go from inside to outside is absolutely singular in games. No one can replicate those feelings and they hit me instantly as soon as I was back playing again. Thank you Jeff Gerstmann.

They are not wrong about EDF. I quit 2 hours into Saints Row, though.

Vulpes_Absurda on Origin if anyone wants to play on PC. I'm good all hours of the day for the next week thanks to some recent minor surgery so I will have a lot of time to watch titans fall over with people.

I wish there was some kind of offline bot-match or something just so I could experiment with different loadouts and stuff. There are kind of a lot of options for your pilot and titan, and I hate testing things out in a competitive environment.

Like, I'd love to get a feel for the grappling hook physics in a more laid back situation.

I'm glad they brought back CTF; I hope it catches on this time. It's the only mode that really takes advantage of the crazy movement, since it's all about slipping past enemies and then having a desperate chase across the level. 

The more I think about it, it seems like they kinda blew it with the multiplayer modes, since they mostly involve hanging around and shooting each other, which is not at all where Titanfall excels. It should have more Haloesque shit like Oddball, one flag CTF, Crazy King (I think that's the one where it's king of the hill, but the hill moves around), etc. 

Like, steal the bacon, where the bacon is some experimental Titan at the center of the map would be good. 

Badfinger coming with EDF beef!

I think my problem is that every time Jason tries to mount a defence/discussion of EDF he gets roundly stomped on by the rest of the panel that he doesn't even get to defend it. When similar talks about Majora's Mask happen Dan gets some air time to voice his opinions.

Glad you are liking Titanfall 2, I'll probably pop back on to this thread in about 6 months time when the price has dropped.

Okay so who has a good robot news joke for the Idle thumbs PC network? There may not be enough people playing this game to justify one but who doesn't love a good pun? So we may as well come up with a name.

I too just finished the campaign but will go significantly further and say it's the best shooter I've played since at least January 2014 which is as far back as the "Completed" tab of the Google Doc I use to keep track of my games goes. It was the right length, it wasn't that difficult, it zipped along and made me feel like a cool shooting man. Even if there was no multiplayer (I've only tried one round so far and found it a bit overwhelming as these things always are) I've definitely paid more for games recently and felt more short-changed by what they gave me. Lovely stuff.

I'm enjoying TF2. Haven't made much progress in the campaign, but I am keen to get back in there and see what's in store for BT and I.
Online has been fun, unlocking stuff is like....some kind of sweet, sweet drug (I'm sure the developers designed it to be so) BUT i still with they had TF1's "horde mode". I listened to A LOT of Idle Thumbs while playing that more relaxed, AI murdering mode.

After being excited for this for so long and really enjoying the campaign, I've played precisely one multi-player game. I'm not sure why.