melmer

TITANFLAPS 2

What are the micro transactions then? Skins for your robot? I'd pay 10€ to make my robot look like a Gundam.

You know what would be awesome? Let me tell you what would be awesome. What if you could record map-specific routes you take in your titan and then you can replay that route when not in the titan. Basically you could set up crazy stunt paths where you jump out of your titan, run through a few buildings and jump back into your titan if you time it well. Just being able to make a way-point for your titan to go to would be nifty.

That would be awesome. Set Titan way-point mode. It'd also be great for setting up cross-fires if you could pause the travel. Fighting an enemy who ducks around a corner only to find your titan waiting for them?

I'll be searching for a Titanfall 2 stream when I get off work in 3 hours. If you are streaming, post here so I can get that artisinal shit.

Edit: my itenerary has shifted. Still please post if you stream.

Wow, I have not been this deflated by a demo since the Gears of War remaster.

So, they have tweaked it in the worst way. Titans aren't guaranteed during a firefight, they are a privilege for the already too good players that result in them dominating the map more than they already did.

Every player glows the colour of their team so that you can see them a mile away, which defeats some of the tactics from titanfall. Everyone has a health bar, but that just leads to the best players dodging away from surprise kills and lesser players getting ganked all the time. It also means that you stick out like a beacon for snipers, one of the things I liked about Titanfall was that snipers had to be good to compete, now you get shot by them every few seconds.

The game modes they have shown off are all a bit terrible.  'Pilot vs Pilot' is awful because it shows how the tweaks have been made so that the game is more like Call of Duty (it also displays how awful the fan base are because it is the most populated mode). Fuck, I was really excited about this game, unabashedly so, and they have made it into a game that I am not sure that I want to play.

I know it is lame, but I got really depressed by playing the Beta. I got too excited after replaying Titanfall for the last two months but this beta suggests to me that it is just Call of Duty with tinfoil mechs and that is a really bad thing.

Yeah, I'm not super thrilled with some of the changes. Titans take so long to charge that you're lucky to get more than one per match, and they've removed the AI entirely from the hardpoint and deathmatch modes (at least in this beta). There are little things, like the way batteries work on titans or how abilities recharge that feel overly complicated and not very meaningful. And maybe it's just these maps, but they're very open compared to TF1. The original maps were incredibly well designed and gave titan and pilot players plenty to think about, but this now feels like there are areas that pilots just shouldn't go to at all because they're so big.

What bums me out most is that the animation for getting into your titan happens in third-person now, so you don't get the cool first-person view of a big titan hand grabbing you and pulling you inside.

Doesn't Battlefield: Hardline have a mode similar to Bounty Hunt? Have y'all played that mode? Is it interesting?

I download the demo yesterday but don't think I'll bother turning it on. The reaction i'm seeing from people in the neogaf is mostly negative. Shame. Watch a couple of gameplay videos and it looked generic as hell.

Wonder if there's time for them to overhaul the game? Be interesting to see if they change anything. Either way I doubt I'll pick this up now.

Never played a Titanfall game before, so can't comment on the changes from the original. The game is fine.. not something I am interested in. I  don't like these fast paced Call of Duty style shooters anymore. Pretty neat rolling in a mech though.

Doesn't Battlefield: Hardline have a mode similar to Bounty Hunt? Have y'all played that mode? Is it interesting?

That was the best mode, but Halo 5's battlezone is way better.

It is fine, as long as what you wanted was a Call of Duty game with killstreaks in the form of mechs.

The hardpoint scoring system means that you can be at the top of your team and not have had a Titan for the whole match.

My partner convinced me to delete the Beta and go back to Titanfall. She said that my reaction to the game was like seeing a kid being told that Father Christmas doesn't exist

So I played two matches on the tech test so far and in both of them I just spent the whole time getting killed by people I didn't see until they'd shot me, which is basically the opposite of fun.  I know it's a stress test of their servers but it's pretty obvious this is a game for hypercompetitive twitch gamers and not filthy casuals like me.

I never played the original, but I played a bit more of the tech test today. I haven't played a CoD style game since the first Black Ops, and the last multiplayer game that I was really into was TF2. Having played more of this demo, I am more interested in it than I though I would be.

There was a note from Respawn saying that the charge rate for titans for the hardpoint mode was too low and it has been raised. I also noticed that the order of the modes in the menu had been changed. I was deathmatch, hardpoint, bounty hunt. Now it's bounty hunt, hardpoint, deathmatch. It seems to have shifted the number of players in each of the game modes. I prefer the objective modes rather than pure shoot mans, so that's a good change.

The first match I hopped into, I was on the losing side of a hardpoint match and every enemy on the other team had their mechs out and it was a silly clusterfuck. It felt like a very different game to what I was playing yesterday, and I'm curious what other changes they can make server side that would affect how matches play out. I also unlocked the Stim ability, and I have found it to be really useful. It quickly heals you and gives you a big speed boost, and I was able to flank other pilots and titans pretty easily with it. It keeps your head down, where the grappling hook exposes you. The grapple is fun, but I feel like it has killed me more than it has been useful.

The match after that was on the Homestead map and the enemy team had a bunch of snipers. I felt like I kept getting killed without much recourse, but it was pretty easy to have at least two of the points captured and amped so that we had much, much more points than they did. The evacuation epilogue at the end of the match is a good idea. It has a a hint of the end of a Team Fortress 2 match, but with a lot more going on.

Overall, I'm interested. I'm not sure if I want to get into a multiplayer shooter, but I've had fun. Maybe I'll pick it up on sale next summer. Maybe it's one of those games. Unless the single player ends up being really good as well.

Surprised to see this. All I saw was a few people streaming and site coverage. They seemed to get multiple titans a game. It seemed like the same kickass game from two years ago.

Titanfall was my go to multiplayer game for about a year and a half or so (I moved on after I couldn't find anyone playing Hardpoint anymore on the PC).  I really loved the wall running and general speed of it.  I'll almost certainly pick this one up.

My play style basically amounted to "jump on and off of every wall everywhere all the time" and I really enjoyed that:

Great video, Vorlonesque. Watched til the end. Made me reinstall on xbone and play all night yesterday. 

I really hope they slow it down a bit in #2. I also hope matches are longer. It's always a bummer to me when MP FPS games have short, 5 minute matches these days. It always feels like, just when I get comfortable with a map or how a match is going, it's almost over.  

Have to say I like the new art direction and graphic design in TF2 much more than the previous game. TF1 had some clutter and gaudiness in its menus and UI, but the new shots look refined and airy. Also love how much the art seems to be inspired by real world tech, in the same way that Aaron Beck's art is: http://skul4aface.blogspot.com/

So many promising sci fi games coming out soon... XCOM2, TF2, Deus Ex, and COD: Infinite Warfare looks super good, at least to me. Same deal there, very real-world tech inspired look.

One stray thought... it's a bummer that so many gamers get caught in arguments about how "this year, COD is going to fail, it's all about Battlefield now". I see that type of argument all over gamespot and other major outlets. Why can't both games be good? I've played loads of COD, BF, Halo and more, and I like them all for their own reasons. Titanfall has its own good niche. Anyone else feel frustrated about how gamer culture at large is so obsessed with certain games succeeding while others fail?

One stray thought... it's a bummer that so many gamers get caught in arguments about how "this year, COD is going to fail, it's all about Battlefield now". I see that type of argument all over gamespot and other major outlets. Why can't both games be good? I've played loads of COD, BF, Halo and more, and I like them all for their own reasons. Titanfall has its own good niche. Anyone else feel frustrated about how gamer culture at large is so obsessed with certain games succeeding while others fail?

r...r.i.p. ...COD?

I think it is really just an acknowledgement of how multiplayer games depend on having other players. I'm sure that in some cases, the sentiment is literally trying to convince the group one plays with to get one game rather than another. To be honest, I think it's entirely fair; the publishers are well aware that franchises and platforms have a stickiness that makes it difficult for groups to move from one to another, they leverage that. The desire to express that a franchise will fail or just be a bad investment is an attempt to dissolve the mineralization of one's perceived player-pool so that a decision based on the current situation (or personal desire) will be made rather than one that is made by immobilization imo.

Sometimes the perceived player-pool is a somewhat fictional, but perceptible gaming-consensus.

I think my problem is that what was exhibited in the tech test was not Titanfall but more geared to being what Call of Duty is. I hated it (I don't like Call of Duty) and have no desire to go back.

r...r.i.p. ...COD?

I think it is really just an acknowledgement of how multiplayer games depend on having other players. I'm sure that in some cases, the sentiment is literally trying to convince the group one plays with to get one game rather than another. To be honest, I think it's entirely fair; the publishers are well aware that franchises and platforms have a stickiness that makes it difficult for groups to move from one to another, they leverage that. The desire to express that a franchise will fail or just be a bad investment is an attempt to dissolve the mineralization of one's perceived player-pool so that a decision based on the current situation (or personal desire) will be made rather than one that is made by immobilization imo.

Sometimes the perceived player-pool is a somewhat fictional, but perceptible gaming-consensus

what a smart response. you're right that MP games have a 'stickiness' and that when a community waxes or wanes, it has a big impact on the game. I guess I just find it funny / sad how much irrational tribalism / nationalism there is for various franchises, when ultimately most people who like shooters are probably going to enjoy most shooters to a degree. At least I feel that way.  Going to hopefully spread many hours across many shooters this fall.

So turns out the rest of the community had the same complaints we had here. And Respawn addressed every one of them!

Over this past weekend, we’ve heard a lot of passionate feedback from Titanfall fans. Even though the Tech Test build is a couple months old, we learned some valuable things based on your feedback. Some of these changes have already been addressed and will be updated for weekend two of the tech test, with other changes making it into the final game.

Pilot Mobility
Many players are wondering why we changed the mobility from Titanfall 1. We identified two major issues we wanted to solve in Titanfall 2. The first is that a lack of player predictability would often cause players to be shot from the back or sides. While flanking is an important part of gameplay death often felt random instead of skillful. The second issue is that close range firefights were overly chaotic due to erratic player movement. So, changes to pilot mobility stemmed from a desire to improve our gunplay, and not a desire to slow down movement.

We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.

While investigating this point, we discovered some unintended side effects that were causing players to lose momentum while wallrunning.

Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.

Additionally, we’re testing scaling back some of the dampening factors that were limiting bunny-hopping as we don’t want these restrictions to impact normal traversal.

Titan Meter
We made some changes in Titanfall 2 with the goal of rewarding players for playing game mode objectives. However, we observed the problem that players can try to play the objective but fail, resulting in slower than intended Titan acquisition. We still want objectives to be the fastest way to get a Titan, but the goal of every player being guaranteed a Titan per match hasn’t changed.

Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.

Titan Survivability 
This is one of the more complex issues to address for several reasons.
First, we’ve changed from Titans having energy shields to a new Titan battery system which we believe improves rodeo gameplay and rewards teamwork. In Titanfall 1, rodeo was lethal to Titans, forcing pilots to disembark and engage in a 50 / 50 fight. In Titanfall 2, the rodeo pilot steals a battery and damages an enemy Titan. If they can give that battery to a friendly Titan, the Titan receives a shield and the Pilot gets Titan meter points. As players become more familiar with the system, we expect that Titans will live longer. This is an area we will continue to monitor leading up to launch.
Another factor is that the balance of Titan gameplay in the Tech Test build is heavily affected by the limited amount of content we released in the build. For example, some Titans that aren’t in the Tech Test have strong defensive abilities, certain Titan kits provide defensive upgrades, and even Pilots have a boost that can improve Titan defenses.
Lastly, there has been a lot of tuning since the Tech Test build that will tone down the amount of damage many weapons deal to Titans.

Titan Mobility
We’ve reduced the number of baseline dashes by one compared to Titanfall 1, but all Titans have access to a new Titan kit that provides an additional dash. This is to balance new mobility or defensive options available to specific Titans. The Tech Test build, however, doesn’t include our fastest Titans. Despite our confidence in our top-end speed, we have heard your feedback that Ion and Scorch feel too slow.

Titan dashes will recharge faster.

Map Design
Some of our Tech Test players have asked if the relatively flat and open design of Homestead is indicative of a new direction for Titanfall, and the answer is no. When designing maps, we strive to make them unique experiences. For example, Homestead changes things up by creating islands of Pilot gameplay where long-range weapons can be effective. This upcoming weekend a new map, Forwardbase Kodai, will be available for play. There is a wide variety of maps for the final game.

We’ll be showcasing more maps over the next couple weeks on our website, including more traditional Titanfall maps.

HUD
We’ve read feedback about the HUD feeling too busy. At launch Titanfall 2 will have menu options that allow players to turn these features on or off based on their individual preferences.
Additionally, there have been concerns about enemy outlines making players too easy to see at a distance. We think this is an important feature for friend or foe identification with the substantial amount of visual customization that will be available at launch in Titanfall 2.

We’re going to bring in the fade distance for enemy outlines so they don’t reveal pilots at extreme distances.

Conclusion
Thanks again very much for participating in the first weekend of the Tech Test. We’re looking forward to hearing from more of you this weekend, as these tests are amazingly helpful in ensuring we have a successful launch. As you can see, your feedback is already being heard and impacting the final game, and we’ll be posting the updates for weekend two in our forums later this week: https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/categories/game-updates. I also encourage you to read Jon “Slothy” Shiring’s blog on feedback we’ve received from the tech test in regards to server stability, you can check it out here http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-successes/.
After working on any game behind closed doors it’s always tremendously exciting and useful to finally have players get their hands on it. We value our community, the feedback you provide us, and working with you to make our games better. We look forward to hearing what you think about the updates coming for weekend two of the tech test, and can’t wait to see you all on the Frontier this October.
Regards,
Steven DeRose
Multiplayer Game Designer
Titanfall 2

That give me some hope.

Not going to change those kind of rubbish maps though.

It sounds like Homestead is a one-off and they'll have other kinds of maps, hopefully that means better maps.

I did realise that the one thing they didn't address here is the lack of AI soldiers in modes other than Bounty Hunt. I hope they bring them back in hardpoint etc. because they're a pretty important part of Titanfall.

Turns out there's also another tech test this weekend so we'll get another shot at it.

I am downloading it now.

Also agree about the AI being absent, I definitely enjoyed having there in Titanfall

Gave it a spin last weekend. Having not played T1 in over a year, I'm surprised how familiar it felt. Shooting AI and pilots. Taking a second to dump points off didn't feel like much of a twist in gameplay. Everything felt nicely tweaked, but T1 wasn't that broken to begin with.

I'm happy for these stress tests, because it allows me to gauge my interest in playing the game. Something about following this hobby makes me want to experience every game that gets positive press, but getting my hands on things always reminds me that I have particular tastes. 

(Also not a fan of SP FPS campaigns in general. There's a tedium there that I haven't been able to capture in words, but my interest in T2 was solely in MP)

I wonder how game design decisions like shortening the amount of time it takes to get a Titan play out in the studio, especially when they get implemented so immediately after feedback. I would think it would take some time for them to retweak the balance of the game, but instead they put out an instantaneous patch shortening the amount of time it takes to get a Titan. Does this mean that they had some internal conflict about which way to go and built it so that they had a balanced version of the shortened time waiting in the wings just in case?

Isn't there a butterfly effect to that kind of a tweak? Or are they playing it fast and loose?