zerofiftyone

WIZARD JAM 2016 // Welcome Thread

The jam diversifiers list is now on the front page!

The diversifiers are an optional challenge for the jam. Choose as many (or as few) as you like and incorporate them into your game.

Uniquely Systemic - Procedurally generate something in your game that’s not commonly procedural. A character’s personality, the game’s secret language, a control scheme, the procedurally generated sky's the limit.

Crowd-sourced - Make a game using input from other people. Let the community decide on creative decisions, or take on lots of mini-contributions which will be used in the game (e.g. sound recordings or photos).

Shallow Copy - Choose a genre/style to be inspired by, but specifically don’t use certain mechanics or other elements common to it.

Designer Notes - Include a director’s commentary in your game.

Tone Control - The audio in your game is reactive and directly manipulated by the player’s inputs and actions.

Uncle Who Works at Nintendo - Your game has a bizarre cheat code or secret that no-one will believe is real, but it definitely is; my uncle who works at Nintendo told me about it.

Ombudsman - During the jam, produce and distribute a newsletter tangentially related to your game.

Focused Palette - Make a game using as few colours as possible.

Dead to Language - Incorporate words or language as a core mechanic in your game.

Hello! Long time reader and forum lurker. I'm a complete beginner to game making, coding, so I think I might try my hand at something in Twine. I'm excited guys!

Happy jamming to all of you! I hope I can find some time tomorrow to start. Sadly, the weather will be really good and social obligations (as well as Captain America: Civil War ) will likely delay me a bit. :/

Those diversifiers are great btw. Will definitely try to incorporate one.

Good luck everyone, this is going to be awesome!

The random episode selector has randomly selected: itbegins.png?dl=1

Sweet! Now ... I guess I'll start procrastinating and build a random diversifier selector?

... so yeah, that is exactly what I did: Random Diversifier Selector

Colors are off, nothing is tested, so it might not even work for everyone and the usefulness of this is highly questionable since there are only 9 diversifiers to begin with. But maybe some of you can find some use for it.

Maybe I can find an easy way for everyone to do pull requests with new diversifiers so the thing can grow over time/jams?

This is a thing I definitely need to get in on.

I made this account a few months ago but never got around to actually posting anything. But the chance to get an externally imposed deadline and hopefully actually make a game is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Right now my frontrunner for title basis is "Mesmerized, Process, and Anxiety" but that could still change. Will probably be using Twine since I have a passing familiarity with it. 

The jam diversifiers list is now on the front page!

The diversifiers are an optional challenge for the jam. Choose as many (or as few) as you like and incorporate them into your game.

Uniquely Systemic - Procedurally generate something in your game that’s not commonly procedural. A character’s personality, the game’s secret language, a control scheme, the procedurally generated sky's the limit.

Crowd-sourced - Make a game using input from other people. Let the community decide on creative decisions, or take on lots of mini-contributions which will be used in the game (e.g. sound recordings or photos).

Shallow Copy - Choose a genre/style to be inspired by, but specifically don’t use certain mechanics or other elements common to it.

Designer Notes - Include a director’s commentary in your game.

Tone Control - The audio in your game is reactive and directly manipulated by the player’s inputs and actions.

Uncle Who Works at Nintendo - Your game has a bizarre cheat code or secret that no-one will believe is real, but it definitely is; my uncle who works at Nintendo told me about it.

Ombudsman - During the jam, produce and distribute a newsletter tangentially related to your game.

Focused Palette - Make a game using as few colours as possible.

Dead to Language - Incorporate words or language as a core mechanic in your game.

Oh heck yes. I'm having a hard time with some ideas so I'll definitely use some of these!

Thanks. I think I'll make a thread too.

Heads up, this is what the diversifier check-list looks like currently:

oyorson.jpg

Thanks. I think I'll make a thread too.

Heads up, this is what the diversifier check-list looks like currently:

oyorson.jpg

Ah yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix that shortly.

I feel super late the game here, but want to make a game anyway! :) *looks up a good theme/title*

Still plenty of time!

Hello all, I'm super behind on podcasts so I only just heard about this now. I have never made a game before, but I have spent all of today watching Game Maker tutorials and I'm gonna give it a go. Didn't give myself much time buy ill try my best.

I have chosen as my theme, Refined Baby, a baby game where you play as an uncouth infant desperately seeking to be more civilised. I will make a development thread when I have done some developing, in the mean time good luck have fun to all!

Hello all, I'm super behind on podcasts so I only just heard about this now. I have never made a game before, but I have spent all of today watching Game Maker tutorials and I'm gonna give it a go. Didn't give myself much time buy ill try my best.

I have chosen as my theme, Refined Baby, a baby game where you play as an uncouth infant desperately seeking to be more civilised. I will make a development thread when I have done some developing, in the mean time good luck have fun to all!

Good luck! :)

Good luck! :)

Thanks man, where is the best place on here to ask the odd question about Game Maker? Struggling to implement a few ideas.

I bit off more than I could chew by myself for this jam, and am currently choking on my game  :frown: But the things other people are making are really inspiring and pretty mind blowing to me given the time limit.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow, so I won't be able to play through the games for a week or so, but I encourage everyone to play and comment on as many and as soon as possible, even if you need some post-jam sleep first. It's really rewarding to get feedback on the thing you've been slaving over for two weeks, even if it's constructive negative criticism! (And very disheartening not to get any.)

Hello, trying to make a last minute thing with a friend! We're working on another nublar.

I finished a game for this game jam at the last minute but when I clicked to submit I created the game page but it didn't get submitted. So my head is swimming around in a mix of shock, confusion, and self hatred right now.

Please tell me there's a way to get it submitted.

Here's the dumb page to it.

https://oddmutant.itch.io/ms-petman

The analytics says it was uploaded at 5:56 PM if you need proof.

Fret not:) pm zerofiftyone your itch.io link.