Sign in to follow this  
brkl

Can anyone help me compile some open source multiplatform software on Windows?

Hey guys, I've been using a piece of algorithmic music software called Chuck for a while. They offer binaries which work just fine, but the software also supports extensions and for some of those there are no binaries available. There's really only one I'm dying to use (an experimental piano synth), but in order to compile it, I would first need to compile Chuck itself. I've spent some hours and this and I can't get it done. 

This is the link to Chuck downloads: http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/release/

Direct link to source package for Windows: http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/release/files/chuck-1.3.5.2.tgz

This is the extension I'm trying to get compiled: https://sites.google.com/site/julianfaust/projects/coupled-piano-strings/Sympia-0.1.zip?attredirects=0

I guess these are basically .dll files except the extension is renamed to .chug. 

Could anyone help me with this? I have a hunch some of you do this stuff routinely, but for me it's hours of work and no guarantee of success. 

I wish I could help, but at this time it would probably take hours for me as well since I don't even have any C/C++ compilers installed at the moment.

What do you reckon I could use? I've tried the free version of Visual Studio, but it gives errors. Either they don't play well together or I'm doing something wrong. Are there other options?

The readme says that it needs Cygwin on Windows (which is some linux programs ported to windows). I never tried the C compiler from Cygwin and for me Cygwin always created more problems than it solved so I've stayed away from it mostly.

Guh, well thanks Erkki. Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point when I feel like I have the energy.

Huh, I don't think I have it in me. I can't even find Cygwin mentioned in the manual. It just says type 'make win32' and everything should work. I installed Cygwin but I get some error. I'm going to let it go.

It just reminds me how much I hate working with anything that has to do with Linux. I've been hearing how it's all better now since I first tried Suse 6.0, but every time I've tried Linux something eventually breaks mysteriously.

EDIT:

What a waste of time and effort. I tried to get the thing compiled in Linux inside Virtualbox, and although I could get Chuck compiled, no luck with the extension. I'm must have been born under unlucky open source stars or something, because so many people swear by Linux. I'm sure I've put at least a hundred hours in Linux that have gained me nothing but lines in my face. Sorry about the whiny thread :X

I somewhat recently built Aseprite for windows because I'm too broke to buy it, I'll give this a shot and see if I can help any. What version of Windows are you running?

Well I tried a number of different things on just getting ChucK to build at all: building with mingw's make with no luck (it was choking on syntax errors), building with the recent version of visual studio as you also tried, and finally going the cygwin route and installing the dependencies needed to get that mostly working. I got the build process to the point where the available software needed for building (a version of Microsoft's msbuild that supports Visual C++ 6 and associated compiler) doesn't seem to be available anywhere I can find even on the Microsoft side of things.

That all being said I could still be totally wrong about this and there still might be a way. I'm used to doing more building on the Linux side of things and I'm not really a C/C++ programmer so there could be some things I'm missing there as well. If you pick this up again I wish you the best of luck going forward because it seems like it's going to be a wall of butts getting this to build at all.

Had a peek but I'm on win64 and not really familiar with building C++ on win platforms anyway, sorry