melmer

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Gosh darn amazing badass lady space ninja action forthcoming looks like. I like the feel this is implying, something outside of the epic jedi/sith struggle for once. Lots of sass too.

Actually, I hope the whole film plays out with no dead Bothans and then they use that as a cover up.

Defy the expectations of the geeks in the audience.

Actually, I hope the whole film plays out with no dead Bothans and then they use that as a cover up.

Bothans died to get the second Death Star information. 

About damn time Mon Mothma got her moment in the spotlight!

I kind of expect this is going to be better than The Force Awakens, if only because they're not carrying the weight of having to tie in with all the main characters. But who am I kidding? This is Star Wars, it's going to be another children's movie, and that's fine if you want that. I possibly want that.

Looks in many ways a lot better than JJ's Ep4 remake that was Ep7. Oh man that was such a horrible letdown of a movie for me.

The only thing that bothers me here is that I can't imagine Forest Whitaker in a Star Wars movie, he is too famous for me.

They better have Kyle Katarn in this movie one way or the other or Mickey Mouse's head will fly.

finally saw ep. vii this past weekend and i felt like its strongest quality was the way in which it was informed and worked against the original trilogy (though i often found myself bored w/ what was going on).

wonder how a different lead writer and director will affect all that though.

Gareth Edwards being in charge makes me EXTREMELY suspicious but yeah, that's a good trailer

They better have Kyle Katarn in this movie one way or the other or Mickey Mouse's head will fly.

Unlikely. The main character's name is Jyn Erso, which might as well be Jan Ors & Kyle Katarn thrown in a Blendtec.

But there definitely appear to be nods to or ideas lifted from Dark Forces.

I like this more and more the more I watch the trailer. The CG and set design are maybe better than they were in TFA.

Earlier already when some info was leaked that this movie will feature some sort of black armored Stormtroopers that I think pop up briefly in that trailer as well, I immediately thought they are taking the Imperial Dark Trooper idea from the Dark Forces games.

I like that, but damn they really need to have Kyle Katarn in this one way or the other. To hell with the Disney plans that all Expanded Universe is just "legends of the past". 

Also that whitesuited Grand Admiral, I can't be the only one that wishes that guy had blue skin, right?

Earlier already when some info was leaked that this movie will feature some sort of black armored Stormtroopers that I think pop up briefly in that trailer as well, I immediately thought they are taking the Imperial Dark Trooper idea from the Dark Forces games.

I like that, but damn they really need to have Kyle Katarn in this one way or the other. To hell with the Disney plans that all Expanded Universe is just "legends of the past". 

Also that whitesuited Grand Admiral, I can't be the only one that wishes that guy had blue skin, right?

If they were going to put Thrawn in a film I would drop all of my objections about new star wars. I also had originally hoped that Rogue One meant it was going to be a movie about Rogue squadron. Ah well.

I'm looking forward to this after watching the trailer. I typically get bored with action-sequences and chases-scenes, but I enjoyed The Force Awakens for some reason.

my post on facebook

needed more rouge:

it was funny and/or fun at moments but good lord the characters were the most one-note underdeveloped cardboard cutouts

except the captain, he was legit good

(and the defected pilot was all right too)

I loved it. I both wrote a lenghty piece on it and recorded a podcast special, however both are in Dutch.

The short version of it would be...

I thought this was a very tight movie, nicely smaller of scale. I loved that it was self-contained, without the need to bring characters over into sequels and whatnot. It was tonally well done (the nuts and bolts, administrative side of the Empire) and I thought accomplished its goal well of having a sort of 'Inglourious Basterds' gang of people, but set in Star Wars. Since I knew nothing about the film going in, I was extremely surprised and enthused by the inclusion of Mads Mikkelsen. The films has a ton of things to point at and laugh or groan: CGI Tarkin, the forces inclusion of several characters from A New Hope and Krennic's bad-looking cape. But damn if Rogue One didn't eject me from the theater more giddy and happy than any other blockbuster film in the last two years.

I really liked it!

Wish it had had better characters.. K-2SO was fantastic! Highlight of the film for me. Second half of the film I preferred to the a bit too rushed first half.

The first half was a lot of flying establishing shots of various planets that felt really unnecessary and just used up time I would've loved to spend with the characters instead.

CGI Tarkin was technically super impressive, but I was just so distracted by his slightly uncanny mouth movements that I paid no attention to the plot in those scenes. I'm afraid that and Leia's little cameo are going to be things that'll feel really dated in 10/20 years, when they rest of the film feels so lived in and real.

All in all, I really enjoyed it.

I'll try and write a longer post when I have time, but the short answer is that I was not a fan and of the problems I had with the movie the main one I had was that I just found myself incredibly bored. 

I agree with that. The first half felt rushed and the second half felt waaaay tooooo looooong and boring. Just wall-to-wall action scenes I felt no investment in at all. Every character (none of whom we know anything about even at that late stage) just running around on what felt uncannily like stretched-out video game sidequests. Plug in the thing and pull the lever and send the message so the guys in space can shoot the thing they were shooting anyway but now it blows up (again, felt like "it counts now because it's a cutscene"), and each of these things feels like it takes 20 minutes. It felt like you could take half an hour or more of action stuff out of the second half, and put it toward character development in the first half, and both halves would be better for it. Movie needed an editor, yo.

The CGI Tarkin and Leia stuff was, as many have said, good but not good enough, so I can't help thinking they would have been better off without it. Do you really need Tarkin in there? Dude can't be the only one in a position of authority on the Death Star. My favourite part of the film was Vader's slaughter-a-room-full-of-guys scene, but imagine how much stronger that would've been if it was the only time you saw Vader in the film? Leia's little cameo where she looks out at space and tears up and says "hope!" didn't seem very in-character for her, and would have been better without us seeing her face and getting distracted by the CG - she's super distinctive from the back anyway. 

Actually, what I reckon they should have done would be just follow some rebel down the hall, stop in front of her door, look inside, and it's Leia from behind putting the documents in R2 and recording the holo-message from New Hope, only maybe you get to hear the whole thing. Speaking of which, doesn't R2 and 3PO's cameo on Yavin 4 fuck up the continuity? How do they get to her ship?

And yeah, sooo many establishing shots. There's one time that there isn't even another scene in between two grandiose establishing shots.

Positives: bad guy in white was good, droid was alright. Most damning attribute: our heroes hung over a pit and it wasn't bottomless. Overall: fourth-worst Star Wars.

I was really bummed out that the plot centered around a dad giving a main character complete certainty that if they succeed in their mission it will be worth it for the cause. Seems to run directly against the whole hope/faith message the film kept on about. There's no need for hope or faith or belief when you have certainty. 

I thought it was alright. It was a good idea that didn't stick the landing. For me, the biggest problem was the two central characters. They are so flat and uninteresting, and their character "arcs" are at right angles. What's-her-face was particularly distressing because her motivation made no sense. Who is she and why is she assuming the role of corny motivational speaker? Oh, her dad is an engineer... I guess that makes sense?...

I'm glad they tried a few new things though.

Also, I found myself oddly bored by it, but I can't place my finger on exactly why.

It had everything that I want from a StarWars movie:

-campy characters with british accents

-lots of exciting looking costumes and sets

-super confident shapes in monochromatic shots.

-huge senses of scale

-StarWars music