Chris

Idle Thumbs 257: "Some Kind of Drifter" or "Rigid Body Rat King"

I have absolutely no idea what any of those pop-up diagrams in this game mean. :(

Once I got outside and found that shape in the middle of town, I ended up going East instead, because I was following a dog to see where he was going and suddenly found myself outside the town.

It's funny, because the commenters in the RPS review of the game all acted like it was obvious that you'd follow the dog. It's Environmental Tutorialization 101, apparently!

environmental tutorialization is having a dog walk towards a toilet. 

I should say, I went north first, but I finished the western area first. But it was the last area I went too, because I reached what I thought were dead ends in both of the other areas, but it turns out I just didn't see the exit in some rooms in both of North and East area.

I have absolutely no idea what any of those pop-up diagrams in this game mean. :(

With that one in particular, there's no reason for you to know what the blue diamond is at that moment in the game, which makes it much harder to interpret.

I didn't grasp it until I found and interacted with a blue tile on the ground, which then lit up one triangle segment in the shape in the centre of town.

I've been really enjoying HLD and its opaqueness. It took me an hour or longer to realise that the yellow tokens I was collecting were currency, and I found that so interesting. I went West at the start of the game, got hammered by the boss dude, then went back into town and realised that the shops I had looked in before were selling upgrades that would help with the boss I was having trouble with. I really like the idea of going into an area and not being fully equipped to deal with what's there; but having to go there anyway to see what upgrade would be the most useful. I think on the whole, the game does a good job of letting the player figure stuff out and have these little moments of discovery that are really satisfying.

Also, that soundtrack is incredible. 

With that one in particular, there's no reason for you to know what the blue diamond is at that moment in the game, which makes it much harder to interpret.

I didn't grasp it until I found and interacted with a blue tile on the ground, which then lit up one triangle segment in the shape in the centre of town.

Whoa, you're from Birmingham too. Hi there, fellow Brum Thumb. 

We probably have enough people for a West Midlands Idle Drink already (EGX is coming!)