Bjorn

Banner Saga 2 - Now with Dysentery!

So this totally snuck up on me, Banner Saga 2 comes out in about three weeks.  I knew it was slated for sometime this year, but I really wasn't thinking it would be spring. 

Major choices, and deaths, will carry over, which kinda makes me want to play it again, as I don't remember who all I did and didn't save in my original playthrough.  I always meant to go back and try some different thing anyways. 

My original play through was on iPad. There are hacky ways to get the save from an iPad onto a Mac, but PC users appear to be out of luck. I'm not sure if I really want to buy and play the original again on PC though. I'm hoping that they have some sort of "enter your choices" setting or something, but it appears that I'll be out of luck.

So think of BS2 more of a BS1 chapter 2. It picks up directly where the last one left off.

My save game was lost to a hardware failure so I had to start a new game, I am under NDA so I can't go into too much detail but you make a single choice when starting a new game from BS2, I was kind of hoping for a Mass Effect style "pick your major choices" thing. I might actually go back and rush through the original again just to have a save game to import.

That's what I did. Rushed through a hard playthrough of BS1 to refresh myself (but had to switch it to easy since my rushing and lack of renown meant I was not leveled enough for the final boss fight on hard) BS2 allowed me to choose which of the two playthroughs I wanted to import, and I chose my first one.

Beat BS2 in about a week. It is really good. Improved the combat while still keeping the feel (which some people dont like but I love) the story progresses nicely. Added a few utility classes which was interesting, and a complete new species of creatures that you join and fight against. I found the choices to be harder to make, there were a lot more tense moments rather than the slow slog towards death in the first one. One of the new main characters is totally badass and I really liked his part of the story. The ending wasn't as good as the ending of the first one since it is a cliffhanger setting up for the third installment. I can't wait to finish it.

Planning on doing a second run through when they release the cards though. Definitely recommended for anyone who liked the first one. If you missed the first one, you can jump in with the second one but I feel some of the feeling will be lost on you. The meeting with Tryggvi at the very beginning is also fun if you weren't part of the kickstarter. 

I ended up buying BS1 one PC so I can play through again. I'll take my time and see how I feel after playing it again. I remember it absolutely hammered my iPad, so seeing it again on PC might be a treat.

Loved this game a few months ago when it came to the XBone. I hope the sequel also makes its way to the console.

I am pretty sure it will come to consoles in the future!

Also, I heard that Stoic said the third installment will go crazy with the story. Additionally, they said the wait between 2 and 3 won't be as long as between 1 and 2!!

I'm excited about Banner Saga 2: Saga Harder (yes, all sequels should be named this way) but I unfortunately won't play it for a while I think. Work is ramping up and I have Stellaris at home.

Still, I'd love to put an episode together on the game for History Respawned.

Started this game yesterday, and I continue to love everything about this game. I appreciate that they are adding some interesting mechanics and obstacles in battle and that the breakdown of towns folk vs soldiers will actually matter.

I'm interested to see where the story goes, I lost my BS1 save so hopefully not too many choices ended up mattering too much. 

I think the biggest choice in BS1 was softened in BS2 by allowing you to choose which character to start with. I know there is at least one character that almost always dies in BS1 but if you start fresh in BS2 I think he is alive. Im sure choices matter but I do not think there are many significant ones besides these and I do not remember any such dramatic choices in BS2.

Can't wait for BS3! 

2 hours ago, sucks2Bme said:

I think the biggest choice in BS1 was softened in BS2 by allowing you to choose which character to start with. I know there is at least one character that almost always dies in BS1 but if you start fresh in BS2 I think he is alive. Im sure choices matter but I do not think there are many significant ones besides these and I do not remember any such dramatic choices in BS2.

Can't wait for BS3! 

Yeah there is definitely a few characters alive that definitely weren't at the end of my BS1 play through. I'm in the back half of BS2 and there are some interesting splits happening.

Same! I think the UI is rough around the edges but I have really enjoyed my time with the series.