Sign in to follow this  
Vader

The Next President

Really weird to me how the US press is so willing to view itself as the victim of the whole Clinton's health thing.
As far as I can see, the difference between being able to report on a her illness a few days before is something that should concern tabloids and yellow journalism, not actual politics related media.

I mean, you could make the case "look, a big portion of the electorate have the notion, whether it is justified or not, that you are a pathologically corrupt person, and keeping your privacy is helping fuel that belief. And since the stakes are so high, you should have given up your right to keep your health condition a secret, because there was a good chance that wouldn't have worked, in which case, there was a good chance that it will have a bad impact on your campaign, not due to the health issues themselves, but rather because of the lack of transparency".

But this is an argument that this behavior is politically irresponsible and/or incompetent - and every article I came across only uses this kerfuffle to justify presenting transparency and willingness to communicate with the press as an actual issue, on par with policy in terms of importance.

At any rate, I don't live in the US, but I see absolutely no way this saga could have possibly affected the course of the election, if it weren't for the press making such a big deal out of it.

There has been an undercurrent of various health issues about her going on for some time now. I've heard various claims including cancer, drunken binging, and heart condition. It was being made an issue even before this pneumonia thing, even if it was ridiculous. Transparency is a theme in the US right now, whether it be No Man's Sky, Gamer Gate, or the CIA. Tying the two together doesn't seem like that big of a step.I mean this same argument has been going on about Birth Certificates and Tax records and such for at least the last two election cycles.

Yes, I guess I wasn't as up to date with those elections as I am with this one, but what strikes me as odd is that this is being pushed really hard by more established, mainstream outlets than I would have expected, and that the argument being made isn't that Clinton is doing wrong by the electorate, but rather somehow being un-legitimately hostile to the 4th estate, which just makes no sense to me.

I guess I haven't seen that in the media I've been consuming, but I'm also trying to stay as far away from all that as possible and concentrating on the local stuff.

So instead of covering Trump's VP pick refusing to distance himself from a KKK member or how he abused his charity, I guess it's more important to talk about conspiracy theories about Hillary's health.

I'm so tired of this election and we have another month and a half of this. Can't wait for it to be done unless news coverage stays like this and Trump ends up winning. Ugh.

Conspiracy theories about her health? You're aware there's a video of a bunch of aides tossing her limp body in a van, right?

If she hadn't been covering this up all this time we might have been able to have a viable candidate right now. Hopefully Bernie can get back in.

She has Pneumonia. 

The conspiracy theories around this are just completely bonkers, they were before the fainting incident but they are all just completely out of this world. I am afraid this is going to be used as ammunition to 'disqualify' her. We think it's not going to happen but  there are still plenty of average joe idiots out there who still want to see more proof of Obama's birth (DJT included). 

Man, losing an election because of pneumonia is exactly what I could expect from this election. It's dumb enough, here's hoping it doesn't go down like that.

Prefacing the proceeding sentence with: I think this is all fucking dumb, people are allowed to be sick, they're goddamn human. RIDICULOUS!

That said: Remember when some people questioned Bernie's validity as a presidential candidate because he looked old and frail? RIDICULOUS!

This is so dumb I hate politics.

Remember when Howard Dean got kicked out of the race for being over enthusiastic in a rally which the press pulled the audio from without all the cheering? 

Remember when Howard Dean got kicked out of the race for being over enthusiastic in a rally which the press pulled the audio from without all the cheering? 

Well, his days were numbered anyway, running a grassroots campaign that was insufficiently presidential (and deferential) for party standards.

Hah, I was just wondering if I should post that in the Gaming forum or if it belonged here. It'll be interesting to see if devs drop support of the Oculus and move to the Vive since a lot of those alt-right people are the same ones that harass devs on Twitter.

Some have already said they'll be dropping Occulus support.

I don't know if it'll matter than much, though.

Some have already said they'll be dropping Occulus support.

I don't know if it'll matter than much, though.

Yeah, I'm not too sure what to make of it. On the one hand, I almost certainly buy products made by businesses run by people whose politics are super different from my own all the time. On the other than, this isn't just Luckey coming out and saying, "I support the Republican candidate for president because I would like a lower tax rate," he seems to be actively involved in propagating online hate speech and harassment while working with people who have a long track record of doing the same.

All that is to say that I probably wasn't going to buy an Oculus any time soon for simple financial reasons, but if I have the opportunity, I'd probably pass.

Hmm, i wonder if I can make space in my place for a Vive.

I have a studio apartment. My play space is like 2.0kmX1.6km. I can play almost every game with 0 issues, I've had to trick a few games that want a 2.4kmX2.4km space by changing my orientation so I can reach into the space over my bed :)

I have a studio apartment. My play space is like 2.0kmX1.6km. I can play almost every game with 0 issues, I've had to trick a few games that want a 2.4kmX2.4km space by changing my orientation so I can reach into the space over my bed :)

Holy jesus that's open plan living.

I think at that scale you start calling it open plain living. 

I have to move my coffee table, trash can, end table and a fan to make this work

How many hectar does your coffee table take up? How many teamsters do you have in your employ to haul that thing off your 2.4 kilometer living room?