Sign in to follow this  
Vader

The Next President

Republican voters have just signed their own party's death warrant. I almost can't believe they managed to nominate someone as reasonable as John McCain a few years ago. 

The election is a dead cert for Clinton so at least everyone can have a bit of fun during the campaign. The Donald is undeniably great entertainment.

Even if Sanders or Clinton win, we are about to see The United State of America's least inclusive, racist, misogynistic, nativist views be spouted all over the radio, television, and internet for months. It's embarassing and damaging. I like to think that the white-supremacist patriarchy is more likely to be rejected when it comes out of Trump's mouth, but he seems to be popularizing it. Pat Buchanan was explaining how white-supremacy is the only realistic standard for U.S policy on NPR this morning. The amount of publicity these views are getting because of Trump is concerning since I view any exposure as advertisement.

Yeah, but this level of populism and racism has been seen before in American Politics. It's just more exuberant and open. 

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/goldwater-jackie-robinson/474498/

http://www.wnyc.org/story/recent-history-electoral-skulduggery/

http://www.wnyc.org/story/corrupt-bargain-started-it-all/

EDIT:
one of my favorite articles on Trump

https://newrepublic.com/article/124803/donald-trump-not-liar

You know things are crazy when McCain is thinking about endorsing Hilary.

That didn't seem to last long. It looks like he's already considering Trump if he just apologizes about what he said about veterans earlier. Paul Ryan and the rest of the Republican party look like they're getting ready to endorse him too.

Is anyone else getting anxiety about this election? I know Hillary polls better than him in most polls but it's scary to me that she's only like 5-6 points above him. I don't even know how it's that close.

That didn't seem to last long. It looks like he's already considering Trump if he just apologizes about what he said about veterans earlier. Paul Ryan and the rest of the Republican party look like they're getting ready to endorse him too.

Is anyone else getting anxiety about this election? I know Hillary polls better than him in most polls but it's scary to me that she's only like 5-6 points above him. I don't even know how it's that close.

I am extremely worried, she has really high unfavorables and a past of scandals both real and imagined. The wrong piece of news at the wrong time could flip this election.

Will Bernie Sanders just concede already? I mean what the hell, does he want the superdelegates to go against the popular vote now? That doesn't gel with his message IMO. I liked Sanders, but I don't know what good he's been doing to anybody in weeks now.

I don't understand it either.

But hey!

huQcuMArdANRm.gif

Let misery reign.

Will Bernie Sanders just concede already? I mean what the hell, does he want the superdelegates to go against the popular vote now? That doesn't gel with his message IMO. I liked Sanders, but I don't know what good he's been doing to anybody in weeks now.

Taking it to a contested convention allows him to exert influence over the various administrative decisions of the Democratic campaign and to exact concessions from Clinton's platform. It's the smart money, if he actually believes in his principles: the longer he's in the race, the less time Clinton has to swing back to the right in order to court the centrist Republicans who she's convinced will be the deciding factor against Trump.

I get that that's the idea, but it seems to me the longer he sticks around, the more people get fed up with him - even people who would otherwise support him. I can't help but get the impression it's hurting just as much as it's helping. If not worse?

If the recent Politico story from Bernie staffers is accurate then he is in a pretty bad place mentally right now.

In Bernie's defense, he's been running an insurgent campaign from the start, based on the idea that he is rebelling against establishment candidates.  The whole basis of his campaign, and more broadly his career has been staked upon him standing on principle, so I don't see why he would bow out before he absolutely has to.  It still remains to be seen if he actually made Clinton move to the left or just campaign that way, and people might get annoyed at the division his campaign describes in the democratic party, but I don't think his remaining in the race until the final bell tolls is necessarily a bad thing.  

In other news it seems like the media's love affair with Trump might be coming to an end, so that's good.

It looks like he'll do a staff layoff, and has already announced that he's going to let everyone vote. I'm interested to see if Sanders & Clinton make nice for the general election or if Sanders does a pure anti-Trump skew to his efforts.

he's going to let everyone vote

Aw, that's nice of him!

I like Hillary Clinton and I'm happy she's the almost-certain nominee of my party, and likely the next president of my country, and it kind of bums me out that I feel like I have to be so nervous about saying that just about anywhere on the internet that is frequented by my peers, and have felt that way for essentially the entire primary. I hope that changes as we get deeper into the general election. I'm not saying that's a big hardship for me or anything, it's just a bit of a shame.

I like Hillary Clinton and I'm happy she's the almost-certain nominee of my party, and likely the next president of my country, and it kind of bums me out that I feel like I have to be so nervous about saying that just about anywhere on the internet that is frequented by my peers, and have felt that way for essentially the entire primary. I hope that changes as we get deeper into the general election. I'm not saying that's a big hardship for me or anything, it's just a bit of a shame.

I feel like this election has been bad in general for identifying too strongly with any candidate, especially on the Democrat side. I feel like I can't say that I've supported Sanders, especially in the last three months, because I've gotten attacked so many times, not only for being a "Bernie Bro" myself, but for my preferred candidate's actions as a spoiler for their preferred candidate. It's been a deeply unpleasant experience for months.

My sincere hope is that the venom of this year's campaign experience leaves people a lot more mellow in 2020. Whoever gets elected, may their presidency be uneventful, and we can have less tribalism all around.

The campaigns have been pretty nasty up to this point, and now that we're officially (maybe?) in the general election I can't help but think it's only going to get worse from here.  I mean we're not even at the point where each major party has even named their candidate yet, and the campaigns are already officially over a year old, or 2 years old if you start from Clinton's book tour when 2016 became a regular point of conversation in the news.  I think at some point the sheer amount of information just frustrates people, so as much as I hope for less tribalism it seems to be the new norm.

A lot of people put a lot of time, heart, and money into Sanders campaign and he's not technically eliminated yet, so why not run out the clock? He has a right to his platform. Clinton did the exact same thing in 08, staying in through the final primaries, and a few days after the super delegates publicly declared for Obama giving him the lock. 

He was looking competitive in CA, and from what I've read it can take a few days to tally the final outcome of that state. Not that he'll flip it, but it didn't look like he was sunk before they voted. 

There's something to be said about a long primary keeping Hilary's name in the news for longer. At the same time, as grumpy as I am about the super delegates in my state not caring about the popular vote, I'm looking forward to this whole in-fight ending so we can get on with business.

I'm usually on the pretty politically active side on social media, and this year two people have pretty much got me to stop talking about politics other than the odd local issue (one a Bernie supporter and one an...anti-Clinton is the best descriptor probably).  I don't mind a disagreement, but I really don't want to have the same heated debate every single time I post anything. 

Is it always the same debate? I'm really concerned by how willing she seems to be to use the military to overthrow foreign leadership. I'm still going to vote for her, but I'm distresssed by this compromise. Is that the issue Bernie supporters usually bring up about why they don't like Clinton?

Is it always the same debate? I'm really concerned by how willing she seems to be to use the military to overthrow foreign leadership. I'm still going to vote for her, but I'm distresssed by this compromise. Is that the issue Bernie supporters usually bring up about why they don't like Clinton?

I've seen such a spread of concerns that it would be quite overhasty to suggest that it's anything close to "always the same debate." I've seen Bernie supporters accuse her of (among other things): corruption, murder, only being in the running because she's a woman, being a Republican, being best friends with Trump, being indistinguishable politically from Trump, not supporting various policies that Bernie supports (including a number of policies she does in fact support), and plenty of other stuff that I can't recall as of right now.