TheLastBaron

Stardew Valley

I think I must have just hit upon the natural fishing progression because I found the level-up curve very easy and fun. I find it actually follows real fishing better than the vast majority of fishing games I've played. I don't have any real advice for actually catching the fish besides letting you know that they do have distinct patterns of movement for each kind of fish. Try and learn how the fish moves on the bar and it becomes much easier, especially when you can predict its movement.

Do you need a specific skill or tool to get seeds out of trees? I've felled a bunch in the first couple weeks of the game with the starter axe and only seem to get sap and wood out of them. 

Yes, it's like the level 2 or three foraging skill level. Just keep choppin'

Edit: Whoa, wiki tells me it's lvl 1 foraging. Maybe try looking for some of the berries and flowers that spawn around the map? I hit lvl 1 foraging real quick and was throwing away seeds for the longest time.

Anyone have any advice getting a game to run in a wine wrapper? My GF is absolutely in love with this game from playing one 5 hour stretch on my PC, but she's a mac lady and would basically colonize my office if I let her start using my computer for this. I have very little mac experience, but there is an extant Wine wrapper on the chucklefish forums. 

Oh when you mentioned wine I thought you meant making it in the game. That's what I'm working to make my farm into. A huge wine distillery.

As for trees and their seeds - one of the best ways to get seeds is to actually let some trees survive indefinitely (maybe just plant some in a spot where you can check on them). They will occasionally drop seeds into the ground. They start as little nubs you can just hit directly out of the ground with the axe, pick, or hoe, but if you leave them they will start to grow into shrubs (which won't yield seeds if hit with the scythe). And then into little trees. They won't ever fully mature because two trees cannot directly grow directly next to each other. Alternatively to all this you can chop down the trees anywhere in the game, not just your farm. They will regrow over a long period of time.

The Field Snack thing is a nice boost but don't rely on it for the long term because tree seed farming is a bit of hassle. If you want a cheap free source of energy, the salmon berries grow in the middle of spring for about three days. In fall, just before the midway point for the season, black berries will grow (by then you'll have levels in foraging which affects how many berries you get per bush).

Fishing!  I was doing it wrong  :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart:

I had somehow wrongly internalized that I needed to tap the button, which was really freaking hard to control the green bar.  Holding it works much better. 

Fishing!  I was doing it wrong  :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart:

I had somehow wrongly internalized that I needed to tap the button, which was really freaking hard to control the green bar.  Holding it works much better. 

I at first thought that you had to click to reel the fish in aside from clicking to keep the green bar over the fish icon. Then I realized how silly I was being.

I played for a few hours last night with a controller and I found the whole thing a lot easier and more relaxing. Not sure if it was my mood, or the controller, or what, About to build I silo now (didn't know it was so cheap on the cash) and then get some chickens I guess. Also need to save up money for the new fishing pole that just opened, and finally upgrade my sword so the mines are a little easier.

I like the controller for everything except watering and seed planting.  I just keep my mouse next to me and grab it for those chores, then everything else is with the controller. 

Yeah, there were a couple of times when I was trying to water that I couldn't get the red box to be in the right location so I had to step away from the garden and walk back. Other than that, I only used the mouse to place buildings and seeds.

Man combat in the mine is a ton easier with the controller though.

I've reached the point where I'm basically doing "clean up" by trying to fill up the museum, catching all the fish and such because it's all I can do? I already don't know on what to spend money on now, I just bought a stable that I'll probably never use.

I even did all the "Adventure Guild" quests... I could upgrade every tool to Iridium, but...  I don't really need a watering can anymore with the sprinkle system I have.... *shrugs*

I setup my sprinkler system right at the end of fall and didn't see it in full effect. Since then I managed to find enough iridium to start a short section of 5x5 sprinkler-covered plants (anything that grows on wooden supports; so I have walkways setup). I just hit spring of the 2nd year and am ready to see how much of an impact it has. There's 193 crop-planted tiles covered by it. Probably excessive.

I also found a neat shortcut to an income. When you have a steel or gold quality hoe, the beach and quarry can yield 6.5k to 8.5k worth of forageable goods a day (combined). Spent the last two weeks of winter doing that and started spring off able to afford all my crop needs and buy two of each fruit bearing tree comfortably. Still have 30-some thousand money left.

I have the worst crash bug. At the end of the day on Spirit's Eve when you go to sleep, full-on crash to desktop, leaves no error report in the error log. Doing pretty great otherwise, surpassed 24 hours played today so I'm extremely reluctant to try a restart. Horrible.

Edit: Okay, 5th time's the charm and I got it fixed. Some weird patch problem with gog? Crash was solved in a patch but didn't work for whatever reason and it needed a clean reinstall of the updated exe. This is the worst game to have a save bug with though, having to play through an entire day over and over to see if you fixed it.

Oh crud. That thing I mentioned about using the hoe to dig up the ground for a ton of stuff? It only works in winter apparently. Spring time I'm only getting an abundance of clay.

On another note the Skeleton Cavern is a motherfucker. Not enjoying that place at all and have narrowly escaped death each time I go in. I did pull off the quest to go to the 25th floor (I actually dropped past it to the 27th, it still counted), but jeeze. There has to be a better way to get iridium.

Do you have the best weapon and boots? I think I got the boots from a drop and the hint on how to get the best sword is on a Dwarvish grave.

I... I guess I'm done with the game? I thought the evaluation would be at the END of year 3, but it was at the beginning!

Gramps showed up in my dreams and told me I was a better farmer than he was and then the altar gave me a statue that give you Iridium?

Frankly, now that I've passed the evaluation I really don't see a reason to keep playing....

My greenhouse is half full of ancient fruit, so I'm basically rich, I don't even need to mine since I upgraded EVERYTHING, even tools that I don't use. I got all the minerals in the museum, so all I have to do is hope I get lucky with the "worm patches" for the rest and finish the cooking recipe list... which doesn't sound fun.

Picked this up over the weekend; I've never been much of a fan of "builder" games, but have always dreamed of playing Harvest Moon.. for whatever reason it always seemed like such a great game that I never had the time for. Currently at the first week in Summer of my first year and it's absolutely consumed me.

I've gotta say, this has one of the best core loops I've experienced in a long time. I love the sense of schedule the limited time each day affords, it forces you to be very conscious of how you are spending your time. It also allows you to create some awesome short/medium/long-term goals and work towards them. I'm not sure how novel this game is in that respect, but as someone new to the genre I really find it an impressive way to design an "open world" game.

Being new I'm not sure if more tutorialization and UI hints might have been nice or I've just been overly naive -- it took me way too long to figure out how to get rid of items in your inventory without the assistance of a shop/the bin at your house. I've also been straddling pretty hard between looking things up on wikis or trying to discover everything myself. Like whether or not I am missing fish from the season I'm in, but that's sort of minor. I think other aspects of the game are a bit too obtuse to handle without some external information currently, like the radius of a scarecrow's effect, how much space a tree needs to grow, or what the benefits of upgrading a tool are. Trial and error on those things would be very painful if I needed to discover them myself, but I'm trying to leave as much up to discovery as possible.

I've been staying far, far away from min/maxing too much or looking up any tips on "do this to make a ton of money!" I have a very organically-developing farm layout and I'm hoping to continue that. Lots of screenshots I've seen online of people farms are so incredibly geometric and use every square inch of the plot you're given. I've got a nice lazy path through my grove of maples and plenty of wild area, and I'm hoping I don't need to change all of that too drastically as the game continues along. One thing that has always kept me away from builder games is the temptation to plan too much up-front, for example creating a huge highway loop around your plot in Cities: Skylines before you build anything. I like that this game doesn't have too much a of a feeling of permanence in where you place your crops and things early on. Patches of dirt fill back in, trees and grass grow over cleared areas, etc.

On another note, the economy (experience, money, and availability) in this game feels very wonky at times. I think that might be the grindy JRPG nature of it, but a basket of flowers costing 1000 gold at the flower festival seems a little crazy. But for whatever reason it still seems to work. I really value that little basket of flowers sitting outside of my door, because for better or worse I spent my entire reserve of cash on them. Same goes for the expensive outdoor light recipe I purchased but which I apparently won't be able to construct until something like Farming level 8. Some of those tough lessons I think add to the feeling of difficulty in starting a farm from the ground-up, and add a bit to the sense of accomplishment once they all come together.

I hit a pretty frustrating bug tonight.  In Fall, there's a county fair type festival, and you can play games to win tokens to buy unique stuff.  There's a slingshot game I mostly found frustrating, so I went with the fishing game to build up tokens.  Apparently there's a not uncommon bug where if you cast too short during this your casting animation will lock up mid cast and you can't do anything to get out of it other than restart.  Most people seemed to have it happen by either trying to get on quick cast in at the end (what happened to me) or just accidentally mis-casting.  Playing games legit it takes awhile to build up tokens, plus if you took the time to water your farm and do chores, you have to redo all that stuff to. 

There is a fairly straightforward way to get tokens easy though, which I ended up using after being frustrated having to replay the day. 

The gambling wheel seems skewed to favor green in general, so if you just keep betting on green, you'll eventually have all the tokens you need.

Decided to try this out because I wanted to try something relaxing after XCOM 2. 

Ohmygodthisgameisgood!

Decided to try this out because I wanted to try something relaxing after XCOM 2. 

Ohmygodthisgameisgood!

Haha, that's exactly how I got sucked into this!

I actually think the fishing game in Stardew is horrible, so I got the Easier Fishing Mod and now I don't mind it as much. I find the idyllic nature of the game, combined with a variety of things to do every day and goals to reach towards to be very well compelling. I also like the undercurrents of class strife and anti-cap stuff to be interesting. 

Just overall this game has been sucking my time in and I feel like I learn new, obvious things every day. Like if you hoe up the ground and want to "restore it to normal" just use the mining pick, then you can set buildings or other stuff on top of it. 

Fishing is by far the most uneven of all the mechanics.  I enjoy it when it isn't too difficult, but even at level 7, I'm still finding fish that feel like i have no chance of catching. 

Socializing initially annoyed me, as it felt like time I could have been doing other things, but as that's progressed I've generally found it to be pretty enjoyable.

I've been really surprised at the relative depth of the themes and characters.  There's just a ton of nice and thoughtful touches that have made the game feel much richer than I expected when I started. 

Just overall this game has been sucking my time in and I feel like I learn new, obvious things every day. Like if you hoe up the ground and want to "restore it to normal" just use the mining pick, then you can set buildings or other stuff on top of it. 

??!?!!!??!?!??!

I am fuming that I never figured this out. I was waiting days for the rain to wash away the furrows...

Hahaha.. I was really pissed because I could not lay out a wood path for many days.

Also, awww yeah! Let the beer brewing begin!

Socializing initially annoyed me, as it felt like time I could have been doing other things, but as that's progressed I've generally found it to be pretty enjoyable.

Much like real life.

I'm in kind of a rut after getting married. I'm still chasing certain bundles but there isn't much of a motivation for me to do much, like going into that new cave. I wish year 2 had some narrative thing going on to propel me forward.

Ohmygodthisgameisgood!

Haha, that's exactly how I got sucked into this!

It turns out that much like XCOM2, this game is occupying my thoughts at night, and now I find myself planning my next farming steps at work. Definitely less stressful than XCOM2, though.

Time is used very cleverly as a resource in this game. I just reached the end of summer of my first year, and have enough money to buy a ton of fall seeds, but I don't really want to do that because all of my time would be spent on watering the crops. I refuse to use the basic sprinklers because the watering pattern is ridiculous, and haven't reached the gold veins in the mines yet, so I cannot buy the upgraded sprinklers. Therefore, my plan is to keep a moderate amount of crops in the fall, craft some artisan goods processors, perhaps build a barn, and explore the mines on rainy days. During winter I will focus more on cave exploration, in order accumulate gold for building a ton of sprinklers, completely overhaul the layout of my farm, and then just fish, forage and chill. Just the fact that I have a plan for different seasons makes me giddy.

The alternative would be to plant a huge amount of crops now, spent the entire day every day watering them, and postpone all the other stuff for winter. This would probably be more "efficient" but damn that sounds boring.

I have not paid much attention to relationships, yet. I try to impress Penny with my gifts every now and then, but I either have a hard time finding her, or then when I stumble upon her, I don't have a gift ready. I plan to make being more social my virtual New Year's resolution, though. I should be less busy by then, right? Anyway, I hope that the game doesn't secretly count negative hearts for the people I have ignored for most of the first year.

This game taps onto the worst parts of my time management and decision paralysis issues.  I've got to a point where it's actually constantly started to feel stressful (into Year 2 Spring) because I try to cram too much into each day.  Animal and crop management, running all my artisanal machines, continuing to clear my property plus getting out and about and trying to get at least a couple of things done around town.  I'm actually in super great shape, I could easily afford to dial back on some things or just let them slide for a day or two, but nooooooo, there are goats that need milking!  Those parsnips need harvested!  Can't let that honey go to waste!  Oh shit, it's Lewis' birthday, gotta get the old man a present!