Roderick

Captain August launches

aankondiging.jpg

Esteemed fellow gamers, writers, creative likeminded and dear friends!

Today heralds the launch of Captain August, my very own webcomic! From this moment, on the fourth of october 2004, a new step has been taken in the grand history of webcomics, and an equally large step in my own life. With this comic I hope to entertain a great number of people around the world and show something of myself in a whole new creative way!

I hope you'll forgive me my childish exuberance, but I'm quite excited. After three months of toiling away, the fruits of my labour can finally be witnessed. So by all means, take a look on the website, bookmark it and spread the word!

http://www.captainaugust.com

banner.jpg

Rodi

I was fortunate enough to see this comic as it progressed from it's early stages :)

Congrats on the finally getting it online thing buddy :D

Thank you both ^_^

It occurs to me that if we preach this thing hard enough, in a thousand years it may become the dominant religion in the world! Hurrah!

Worst web comic ever.

Well, I couldn't have done worse myself.

It is quite nice.

I like it?

:shifty:

Worst web comic ever.

Well, I couldn't have done worse myself.

It is quite nice.

I like it?

:shifty:

Reminds me of a stadler and waldorf bit from the muppet show :)

I'm quite the layman when it comes to webdesign, so I wouldn't know why that is. The site certainly doesn't use fancy tricks, it's all standard html, gif's and thousand-year-old code. If it doesn't work with Firefox, I'm afraid that it's out of clumsy neglect from Mozilla =(

It works fine with opera though. :innocent:

I really like the intro, great work! I see you link to the most brilliant web comic of them all as well - White Ninja Comics. More bonus points for you!

I just checked out white ninja. While being quite morbid, I don't really think it's fun..... hmmm maybe I should read some more of them before passing judgement... (or maybe not M;UHaHAHAA)

White Ninja has to grow on you. It'll take a dozen comics before you get into the right mindset ;)

Don't forget to check out my comic as well :innocent:

Why do you update only twice a week? Cant you up the ante just a tiny bit more? :)

If I notice it's going well, I may speed things up more. But for now there's little reason. Best to first let as many people possible acquainte themselves with the strip before bombing everything with comics. And this is also a better transition so I can get used to the whole concept ;)

I love the style, it looks kinda zany and macabre, just how I like it! :naughty:

Would you mind if I put you in Comic Alert? It tells users if a webocomic has been updated and it recomends it to people who read similar ones... :innocent:

Of course! I've read through it and it sounds good =) How does this work then? Should I submit my webcomic to them myself, or will you simply be the enthusiast reader who desperately wants to add a webcmoic to the list? Will others be able to see it as well?

Of course! I've read through it and it sounds good =) How does this work then? Should I submit my webcomic to them myself, or will you simply be the enthusiast reader who desperately wants to add a webcmoic to the list? Will others be able to see it as well?

It doesn't matter who adds it to their database, but it would be ideal if we both had it in out list...

It works something like this, when ou go the site and add a comic to your list, it show you a list of comics that other people read and also read the previous one...

In other words, it's a "people who read "A" also like to read "B", "C", "D", etc, etc..."

It's not a full a list, the thing is I don't know if your comic appears in this list randomly or only if its the most popular...

You could always email them and ask... They respond feilry quickly...

It would certainly help if you convince some of your friend to use Comic Alert and add your comic to their list, it's a bit of "you srcach my back, I scratch yours"... :mock:

Oh, one final thing, Comic Alert will have an easier time getting your comic in the database if the comics always have the same format, if all of the sudden you decide to do a special and that day the comic is a different size, all the Comic Alert subscribers won't get notified and won't know there is a new comic on your site... :erm:

Hmm, I guess it whould be ideal if you contacted them directly since they will probably contact you anyway if someone tried to add your comic to the database, they DO have to investigate a little, I think...

I mailed them, hopefully they'll reply soon. The system sounds good, I hope this will attract more readers (even thought there are over 6,000 different comics over there :erm:

First of all; congrats! I'll most definitely bookmark this site.

But, uh... You really shouldn't put future pages in the same directory, if you don't want people to read these. Don't worry, I haven't looked further than page 6. :innocent:

--Erwin

And here I was completely underestimating my audience. Thanks, I've deleted the Future Pages. I just didn't figure anyone would be browsing my server unconventionally ;)

To prevent people from accessing it altogether? Like I said, I don't know a lot about these sort of scripts... ;(

Don't cry Captain August!

On a related note, does your server support PHP?

Yes, it supports PHP. But my brain does not. I've heard from a lot of sources that PHP is the way to go for sites and webcomics in general, and I sort of know how it could benefit me so I could just upload a new comic instead of creating a whole new html-page. But since it's entirely alien and as of yet incomprehensible to me, I'm hesitant to dig into it...