Sign in to follow this  
Vader

Walking Dead: Michonne

Anyone play the new Walking Dead miniseries from Telltale? My wife and I just finished the first episode tonight.

I've heard some complaints from people who said that they didn't like playing as Michonne, who is already a prominent character in both the comics and TV series. This didn't really impact my enjoyment of the game, as I have neither read the comics nor watched any of the TV show. I will say I really liked the character design on both Michonne and her friend Pete. They both look gorgeous, and telltale continues to do a good job of animating faces that are expressive but still stylized enough not to enter uncanny valley.

I also thought the dialogue trees were well handled. The choices available struck the right balance for me between giving me some agency in how I roleplayed Michonne, while also injecting her own jaded personality into every line. Some of this comes from excellent voice acting by Samira Wiley (probably best known for her role as Poussey in Orange is the New Black).

Without giving too much away, there is one encounter I found especially effective where survival seemed to depend on choosing dialogue options to piece together a story that seemed most believable, rather than the suspicious sounding "truth."

Almost none of the "gamey" aspects have changed. Still point and click mechanics and QTEs, though they weirdly seemed to have decided to up the difficulty on these. I know a lot of people probably have "zombie fatigue" and maybe feel like Walking Dead stuff has run its course, but if you enjoyed the first two season from telltale I really do think Michonne is worth checking out.

Interesting that you would play the game without having read the comic or watched the tv show. Did you play the earlier games?

I haven't played Michonne yet since I usually wait until the entire season is out before playing the Walking Dead games. However, the trailer didn't seem too appealing to me with all the quicktime events which I hate and the flashback which seemed cliched to me.

Interesting that you would play the game without having read the comic or watched the tv show. Did you play the earlier games?

I haven't played Michonne yet since I usually wait until the entire season is out before playing the Walking Dead games. However, the trailer didn't seem too appealing to me with all the quicktime events which I hate and the flashback which seemed cliched to me.

Yes I have played the earlier games.

I didn't find the use of flashbacks to be overly obnoxious, though honestly the trope in general is not something that particularly bothers me. More of a mode of storytelling than cliche.

I think I might get it, but when all episodes are out and the eventual discount comes, maybe in summer sale. I still haven't finished the second season yet, it's on hold for me...

I love the idea that they are taking the comic book world for this miniseries and not the video game continuity or the crappy tv show.

Well, if you (or anyone else) gets around to playing it, I'd be curious to swap moral dilemmas ^__^