This doesn't bear on the mcelroys directly, but since thread tags include coolgames inc and car boys, the future of those shows may be affected.

Link doesn't work. I heard Car Boys was cool so I watched the first couple of episodes then saw that it had like 800 episodes and I was like "yikes." I mean it was funny but I don't have that kind of free time.

edit: now the link works.

edit #2: is Nick one of the Car Boys boys? I don't know any of these peoples's names, except Dan I guess because we just talked about him and because that's my name.

edit #3: I confused the McElroys with Giant Bomb. This has been a hell of a trip, folks. I hope you've enjoyed riding along with me.

No?

It sucks and it's shitty for a lot of people, including, of course, anyone victimized by Nick, intentionally or otherwise. Including his close friends who seem/ed unaware. Including his fans - people like me - who, yes feel legitimately let down and hurt because I (perhaps unfairly) expected better from him as a result of his association with people I don't just expect better from, but see it all the time.

I won't take part in any name dragging of any individual other than the one because Nick Robinson doesn't deserve my silence, not in this and not right now. 

This is shit, and it has happened before and it will happen again with someone else I like. Such is this miserable stained existence we lead. Taking about it helps me for sure deal with the reality of the whole thing. And I know I'm not the only one.

Taking about it as a community also helps me to become stronger and better at supporting those who were victimized. Can't imagine I'm the only one here, either.

Some missteps in "the discourse" (where did that happen here by the way) don't make any of the above suddenly moot.

I'm also very happy and proud that Griffin stood up and said something. I'm also very sad for him.

And I personally have found most of the conversation around this respectful, measured, and helpful. Most people are not breaking any boundaries, and using this as an opportunity to examine larger issues of harrassment and silence without infringing on anyone's privacy. Sure, if you just search "Nick Robinson" on Twitter you're gonna find some real assholes, (including a contingent of gator people who are just trying to stir shit all both sides), but I've been impressed at how well everyone is handling a really shitty and painful situation.

Including Nick Robinson, whose silence seems to anger some people but is probably better than any sort of immediate reaction he could have made. 

As a side note, I have no idea what the fuck a "soft boy" is, so this has been confusing to me on another level.

if you all want to talk about Nick please make a separate thread. I would rather not have this thread, a thread i created to share things that make me happy, overtaken by something that is only tangentially related.

Whatever I think it's fucked up to insist there's no connection but I'm not going to fight about it. Carry on.

I haven't listened to the final episode yet, but I'm really looking forward to their next, hopefully less "epic", game.

That "Shrimp heaven now" email on the latest MBMBaM episode was amazing!

spoilies 

i'm not a crier but i def got choked up when Griffin talked about Angus's school life. give me all the Ango fan service possible plz. i thought it was a good nice conclusion and i'm very happy with it. I liked that the stolen century had real ramifications in the final fight, also that Mookie, Merle's son, was back for some A+ comedic relief 

It was a good call to the series. Hopefully they learn from the mistakes they made for the next campaign, instead of doubling down. 

Wow what a long episode. I admit, because it was so long, I was disappointed in spots. How do you end a thing that started with a joke about tacos that's now been going for 3 years? Haphazardly! I liked most of the character interaction stuff, but realizing like a year ago that the part where they play dungeons and dragons became Literally Final Fantasy and then the way it ended was Literally Final Fantasy took a lot of enjoyment and every ounce of drama out of the encounters. I still teared up for bits and pieces.

I guess I feel the emotion that I always feel when something finally happens that was in doubt but I wanted to happen: relief that it didn't fuck up. I am excited for them to move on to new projects, and possibly even to play dungeons and dragons for the first time in years.

Yeah, that whole thing of feeling like you have to tie everything up as if it were a planned saga all along when you were just kinda goofing around in the beginning can lead to some weird shit. One of the best/worst examples of this is Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which tries to treat all the previous material as if it were all real and very serious.

Then you're supposed to be getting choked up about this guy grappling with his mortality who a few games ago was sitting on an egg to hatch an owl so he could use the owl's call to distract a guard.

edit: speaking of which, I really want to replay MGS4. I wish (Fuck) Konami would do a PS4 version.

10 hours ago, Badfinger said:

possibly even to play dungeons and dragons for the first time in years.

Lol 

It's true tho

I'm listening through the show a second time. I just finished the Rockport Express arc, and I'm struck by how much better later episodes are. Also it struck me how long Griffin actually has been planning this.

3 hours ago, jennegatron said:

I'm listening through the show a second time. I just finished the Rockport Express arc, and I'm struck by how much better later episodes are. Also it struck me how long Griffin actually has been planning this.

I haven't finished the series yet - just started the finale arc - but he did say at some point on a bonus episode or something that he had basically sketched out the overall plot by the end of the first proper arc. I'm not sure whether he meant Gerblins or the one after, but either way, yeah, he seems to have been trying to figure out how to get here for quite a while now.

8 hours ago, Gwardinen said:

I haven't finished the series yet - just started the finale arc - but he did say at some point on a bonus episode or something that he had basically sketched out the overall plot by the end of the first proper arc. I'm not sure whether he meant Gerblins or the one after, but either way, yeah, he seems to have been trying to figure out how to get here for quite a while now.

Yeah, it's clear that by the time they fight Magic Brian he's planned out stuff that doesn't pay off for another almost 3 years

Listened to TTAZZ. I'm worried that I'll become one of those "not for me" people. I have an open mind for new games and characters, and I definitely want to see them try new things and succeed, but the heart of the show to me personally is a family of fuckin' nerds playing nerd games and making nerd jokes. I'm concerned they're going to start serious before I'm committed and it's going to lose me, because what they need out of the show is different from what I want.

At least for now, they'll be playing a bunch of smaller games. That could free them up to have more fun, since they won't be worrying about building another epic.

Once they settle on what will be the next major campaign... then yeah, they could get psyched out because they feel the pressure to recreate the magic of tres horny boys. 

But, you know, whatever happens, happens. Maybe we'll get more great #content, and maybe we won't, but they sure sizzled it up this time.

Yeah it's not great when they try to be super serious. Not, like, awful, either (most of the time), but they're at their best when gags galore, and merely mediocre on average when not.