I figured I would make a dedicated McElroy thread, as I frequently want to share links/talk about things they do that bring me joy:

http://mcelroyshows.com/

^That's a website of all their ongoing projects that's fairly recently updated. It does not yet have the newest McElroy product -  

Also new episode of Stonerz today! - 

I agree! I think Nick Robinson & Griffin are really funny together, and I'm happy to put it into my podcast rotation!

The extended McElroy family is gradually taking over my podcast week

Monday - MBMBAM

Tuesday - Still Buffering with Justin's wife Sydnee and her sister Rileigh (the freaky friday body swap episode of Sawbones was basically a pilot for this show) & Rose Buddies - Griffin's show with his wife Rachel about the Bachelor

Every other Thursday - The Adventure Zone

Fridays - Cool Games Inc.

(I like Travis, his individual shows don't appeal much to me. I might try out Trends Like These though)

I am currently binge-listening The Adventure Zone, and have also subscriped to My Brother, My Brother, and Me, and Cool Games Inc. All of them have been great. So far, The Monster Factory has had the most laughing-in-tears moments, though. The incredible dynamic between the brothers (and the father) is a joy to listen.

I downloaded the first few episodes of The Adventure Zone to fill the void a couple of other podcasts have left. I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet though.

Have they done Who's Your Daddy yet? Because I feel that's a game that's practically conceived by the McElroys. 

Oh man, Adventure Zone is so good. For about half an episode, I wasn't so sure, but it turned to gold in front of my eyes.

Adventure Zone starts off rough with all the setup, unfortunately.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in the Adventure Zone starts out with episode 1.5 and not episode 1. It's very much a pilot episode and episode 1.5 is simply episode 1 with all the "wait, which dice do i roll?" edited out. Also the starter campaign that is provided with 5e is where they start, but they very quickly diverge from that story, so you may already be familiar with the Goblin cave and Klaarg and Gundran Rockseeker, but Griffin starts writing his own content quickly after the first few episodes.

I didn't mind the setup bits, it was more me getting used to the sense of humor. 

I also enjoy the parts where they literally learn how to play D&D, but if you're interested in the stories then Episode 1.5 is absolutely the place to start.

I just got to the current adventure arc. I've been basically blasting through all these. I still love it, but even though it's in character it's starting to get on me just how much disregard they have for recurring NPCs the literal second they get bored. "Ok can we do adventure stuff now?", like character and world building isn't a bigger part of this than how much damage you do on an axe swing.

it's starting to get on me just how much disregard they have for recurring NPCs the literal second they get bored. "Ok can we do adventure stuff now?", like character and world building isn't a bigger part of this than how much damage you do on an axe swing.

I've totally played with groups like that.

What's really funny is when the opposite happens, and some NPC who was just meant to be a faceless shopkeep or whatever ends up with a detailed story, because the players want to know about her deal, and then make a point of interacting. You really have to think on your feet as the DM when that happens.

It's so gratifying when they become memorable characters. 

God damn it, I wish I still had the time and energy to play RPGs.

Some miscellaneous McElroy content:

Griffin was on an episode of Wizards of the Coast's official D&D podcast - episode Enter the Adventure Zone on Jan 7, 2016 https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dungeons-dragons-podcast/id189053885?mt=2 (It's just called "The Dungeons & Dragons Podcast" to those of you who want to search for an rss feed or just on your podcast app)

He talks a little about his process and how he edits the Adventure Zone and I thought it was a really good interview.

What's really funny is when the opposite happens, and some NPC who was just meant to be a faceless shopkeep or whatever ends up with a detailed story, because the players want to know about her deal, and then make a point of interacting. You really have to think on your feet as the DM when that happens.

When I really think of it, all of my best characters as a GM have been ones that players have forced me to fill out on the spot. Part of it, I'm sure, is just players being players and having less investment in something that I've put effort into, but part of it has to be the special sauce of last-minute inspiration.

I've totally played with groups like that.

God damn it, I wish I still had the time and energy to play RPGs.

The opposite of what I said is something like the Tom Bodett interlude might be the funniest single sequence in TAZ. It was totally off the cuff. They're clearly more than capable of having an amazing interaction.