Chris

Idle Thumbs 251: Signature Moves

I believe Spelunky LAN play is only possible with a PS3 and a PS Vita, or a PS4 and a PS Vita – they just need to be connected to the same wi-fi network. I don’t think it would work with two PS3s or two PS4s on the same network.

It’s a really great way to play the game, though, since two people can play together without having the camera locked to a single player. It can be a bit laggy with the PS3 but it’s pretty solid on the PS4. There are some cool extra things you can do, like when you die you can float around the level as a ghost and use your ghost breath to set off traps in advance (or knock the other player to their death).

It’s actually how I introduced my girlfriend to the game. She was intensely sceptical at first, but she’s since racked up hundreds of hours playing by herself on the Vita, and she still plays it all the time even though she’s seen and done everything there is to do (other than the aubergine run). She is now so much better than me that whenever we play together she gets incredibly frustrated with my ineptitude. She doesn’t play many other modern video games, although for a number of months she got obsessed with Rogue Legacy and totally rinsed it before pronouncing it generally inferior. So while I don’t often pick up my Vita anymore, it has more than earned its place in our lives as a dedicated Spelunky machine.

p.s. I liked the theme tune.  :tup:

(other than the aubergine run)

Only now does it occur to me that I've been saying it the American way the whole time.

Is that the entirety of your feedback? It's, uh.

(Yes it is.)

I guess in trying not to be rude, I was rude in a different way? I can understand fatigue with the baroque "video games video games" joke after so long and wanting to do something different, but honestly I think having no opening music at all would be better. The podcast doesn't really have a strong opening these days - the conversation drifts into the formalities at some point in the first couple of minutes (sometimes even with a discussion about whether Jake is going to do the "it's" now), and these days it's not uncommon for podcasts to put some identity music underneath the introduction without actually cutting to a theme song. As it is, the theme song feels perfunctory, like the podcast has to have theme music so here's the minimum possible thing that qualifies.

See, I feel uncomfortable even saying that, because it's a free podcast and it's really entitled to complain to the management instead of just not listening to it.

Welcome to the forums! While Idle Thumbs may sometimes seem cynical or inside at a glance, we try to come from a place of constructive optimism and hope to foster long form, in depth discussion between our community members. I think you'll really like it here.

I don't know, I think I'm just going to rub some people up the wrong way. I don't think it's gonna work out. It's not you, it's me.

I'd like to hear an extended dance version of the current theme - it really feels like some phat beats are about to kick in towards the end.

Didn't Eno also do the opening to the Dreamcast boot sequence?

If so, guy's a genius.

Man, I am sad to hear the finale of the Nick "Freq" Beckon NBA saga. I guess it's not really a saga seeing as he only spoke about the game twice.

I absolutely have to watch the ending of this game on youtube..I can't even believe this is real. I couldn't even make something like this up. Also would've loved if Nick had video of his character crying at the news of Vic.

Edit: To complete the experience it might be worth checking out
on youtube clocking in at 1 hour 51 minutes.

Edit 2: I can not believe my eyes. 

Man, that sure did jump around a lot and feature a lot of people arguing way past where their point was made. And the note from Vic is every bit as weird as Nick said.