Dinosaursssssss

GDC '16 / SF thumbs hang out

The Game Developers Conference is nearly here! I know there are a buncha other developers hanging around the forums, and no shortage of folks who live in San Francisco. Let's hang out!

I'll be in the city from March 13th to the 20th (GDC itself is the 14th to 18th) and I'd love to go grab a beer or some dinner or something with thumb folk. I was thinking either Tuesday or Thursday (15th/17th) somewhere near Moscone at about 6ish so people can still get to parties or whatever afterward. Honestly the only bar I know near there is Tempest, which is fine with me but if people wanna pitch other stuff in walking distance that'd be cool too!

So, who's going, who wants to hang out, and what sweet parties are you going to?

I live near SF, but it's kind of a trek for me that I can't really manage to get into the city on a night where I work the next day, so the 18th or 19th would really be the only days I could swing getting into the city, but I would love to if that works for anyone.

I am there! Driving down on Tuesday and back up on Sunday.

Spenny and I met up at Mikkeller Bar last year and I'd highly recommend it. I love Tempest and all (though I haven't been there in nearly a decade) but Mikkeller has maybe the best beer selection around Moscone and a real cool atmosphere to boot if you can get a table at the downstairs bar

I had a lot of fun meeting elvaq last year, and the year before a bunch of us met up at Dear Mom. Regrettably I won't be there this year, but I really hope ya'll make this happen!

The drinks are a lot better at Smuggler's Cove* but that new place does have a lot of space compared to Smuggler's, at least on weeknights. On weekend nights it's already standing room only.

* which is sort of an unfair comparison since the drinks in smugglers cove might be the best tiki drinks you can get anywhere? Pagan Idol's are still good and people would have a good time there.

Alright, I think Saturday afternoon/early evening is probably the best time for this? That way folks who have jobs or GDC related parties/meetings/etc can get those out of the way during the week proper. 

Pagan Idol opens at 6, so that's a possibility. Whitechapel also sounds cool if people are into that (and opens a little earlier); reserving a table would probably be smart, but I have no idea how many people will actually show up so I'm hesitant to do that. I also do love Smugglers Cove but it is teeny so I'd rather go for a bigger place.

Anyone here going to the Day of the Devs at the new mission?

I started to buy tickets, but $20 was more than I wanted to pay for game demos.

Alright no one has objected strongly so I'm making it official.

Saturday, 6 pm, Pagan Idol.

I have a housewarming party to get to a little later that night, but I should be able to hang around for a few hours.

Hi I haven't posted in here yet, and, although I am not attending GDC, i do live here (and now even work in the games industry) so I will be down for various forms of hanging out. I'll be at the Saturday night thing, though I'm going to see the first F1 race later that night.

Nice, thanks for setting this up Dinosaursssssss. Looking forward to seeing folks.