dium

Pokemon Moon (beautiful) and Sun (more beautiful)

Yeah...the breeding isn't fun so fuck online play. I guess my issue is...why not both? Why can't there be a hard mode so the badges and the Elite 4 are actually a challenge? Maybe as a kid it didn't bother me that they were easy, I was winning, I liked winning. Now every battle seems like a chore I have to go through to do the next thing, then I get it done and the reward is generally more battles.

I don't want to have to resort to multiplayer for a challenge, I barely play multiplayer games any more, they seem like something for people with time and what I love about portables, is that I can just slam shut that clamshell if my bus arrives, or the food I have in the oven is done. You can't do that with online play. Also I'd have to grind through the boring ass single player before I get to the boring ass breeding, before I can have a challenge. 

Hard mode would bring me back to Pokémon. I was severely underwhelmed by X&Y.

Yep, it would also be nice if their plots and narrative structure weren't so awful too.  Does anyone actually care what happens in these games?  Does anyone even remember?

I mean if someone don't like the core gameplay loop of battle -> catch -> level, repeat, I don't know that 'smarter' AI would solve that. I like that Pokémon is a game that is accessible to all ages and skill levels. There are enough hard games in the world, that I enjoy having a true all ages title. I like having a series that I can continue to see depth and nuance and enjoyment in 20 years later.

You may have just outgrown Pokémon games and they no longer provide what you want.

Turning Pokémon into a Loma is maybe the worst idea I've heard today.

A difficulty setting would allow for it to be accessible for everyone, whilst still providing challenge. 

I do enjoy the catching, searching and levelling of pokémon, I just hate the battling. If trainers were challenging, I feel like I'd have way more fun. The battles are mindnumpingly easy, which is fine if you want that, but I know I'm not the only one who wants a challenge out of the game. Hence difficulty settings.

I think we're the exact opposite. I don't care about anything in the game for the most part besides online battles. If I could just not play the game and just skip to the battles I would (and pretty much do as the last time I was into Pokemon I spent more time playing on online battling software). That being said my interest in Pokemon peaked in Pearl/Soul Silver,though I liked X/Y.

What would a harder difficulty change? Would it mean just a smarter AI because I think without changing the Pokemon every trainer has to a balanced lineup it's still going to be easy. I mean the idea of gyms having Pokemon of all the same type is basically always going to be simple to beat.

Pretty much better AI, so they use decent tactics, enemies with EVs put in places that make sense so they hit appropriately hard and balanced teams for each trainer. Late game trainers, especially the Elite 4 should have 6 pokémon each.

Other than that, I have no idea. I don't need it to be punishingly difficult, just enough to keep me on my toes, as now it's tedious.

So I saw there's actually a rom hack for X and Y called Neo X/Y that just makes it harder and I think it basically does what you suggested. I don't have a hacked 3ds or emulator so I can't check it out, but reading the description it actually does sound a lot better than the actual game. I actually kind of do wish Nintendo would do something like this, though I really don't think they will.

It sounds like you're after a Master Quest.

I've been playing Red most of the day. I'm pretty happy with the difficulty but I haven't ever played another Pokemon.

In case people don't already know about it, make sure "battle style" in the options has "set" selected, rather than "switch". Set forces you to keep the same Pokemon in when a trainer is replacing a fainted Pokemon. Switch will ask you if you want to switch Pokemon in response to their switch, which makes an easy game waaaaayy easier. 

Gotta get this sweet Yello Joke back on the first page.

Grass Starter:

chygmsayc0zepbfs9il2.png

Fire Starter (I mean... starting Pokemon):

irmexdvr2wqkt2eeaxpo.png

The Other One:

oyjwnux5wqltwga8b6qi.png

Images hotlinked from this Kotaku article.

how can i be expected to choose between a cute cat and a cute owl

fml

Goddamnit, Litten's ability is Blaze.

Are you new to Pokemon? The puns are much more rampant than that.

Are you new to Pokemon? The puns are much more rampant than that.

the fact that it's a pun is not what's notable here

Wow once again the grass starter is the best starter. I wonder if they'll ever break this trend.

the fact that it's a pun is not what's notable here

Hmm? Litten is a pun. Do you mean Blaze? The Abilities don't tend to be puns, I don't think.

Also, Twig, no way is Chespin the best starter from Gen VI. Froakie and Fennekin are way cooler.

nah man chespin is adorable

the only grass starter i don't like is chikorita but that whole gen sucked anyway

also

both blazed and lit are euphemisms/colloquialisms for being high/stoned/baked/whatever

Ah, okay.

Chespin's fine, but Fennekin evolves into a Wizard Fox and Froakie evolves into a a Frog Ninja, so it's pretty tough to beat that.

i don't care about their final evolutions, if i did it'd probably always be fire

cutest starters imo from each generation: charmander, cyndaquil, torchic, piplup, oshawott, chespin, litten