Architecture

What's for Breakfast?

yogurt, coffee, cigarettes, kiwis (the fruit, not the bird)

And here I thought you were talking folks from New Zealand.  

I cracked open the Darjeeling this morning, beautiful stuff. I was trying to work through all my Assam first but I just couldn't resist.

Is there a point to eggs over easy vs sunny side up? Is it just so you can fully cook the egg white without browning the bottom?

Have had the same thing almost everyday for what must be getting on two years: banana, flax seeds, muesli, soy yoghurt. It looks gross but it's wonderful.

euiOKv0.jpg?1

Is there a point to eggs over easy vs sunny side up? Is it just so you can fully cook the egg white without browning the bottom?

I think they're easier to handle. Less likely to break the yolk if it's over easy. 

Can we all just agree that scrambled is the best though? Over easy if I don't have enough butter, otherwise it's always scrambled.

Have had the same thing almost everyday for what must be getting on two years: banana, flax seeds, muesli, soy yoghurt. It looks gross but it's wonderful.

I buy that. I very much enjoy muesli with yoghurt, although I've never tried it with banana and flax seeds, and the only soy thing I eat is chocolate soya pudding.

Today was an outlier breakfast day for me - waffles with Nutella.

Scrambled eggs don't go well on a sandwich. Over medium is best for sandwich purposes.

Well that's just wrong! Shove some scrambled egg in a baguette with some cheese and pepper. Great sandwich.

Well that's just wrong! Shove some scrambled egg in a baguette with some cheese and pepper. Great sandwich.

Make it omelette style for better structural integrity.

Today I had toast with cream cheese and darjeeling tea.

Greek yogurt, milk, banana and mango smoothie this morning, which is probably my favorite smoothie in the world. 

...only soy thing I eat is chocolate soya pudding.

Which kind, the Alpro one? Never really liked ordinary chocolate pudding but might give that a try on your recommendation. Used to be a really fussy eater but over the last couple of years I've found that now I like pretty much everything, so who knows.

Greek yogurt, milk, banana and mango smoothie this morning, which is probably my favorite smoothie in the world.

Oof mega jealous here. I'd do some disdainful stuff for a smooth maker. Ever do any of those weird spinach mixes I see people drinking?

Oof mega jealous here. I'd do some disdainful stuff for a smooth maker. Ever do any of those weird spinach mixes I see people drinking?

You can actually get away with using a blender or immersion blender to make smoothies. Those machines are mostly a waste of space and money.

I tried with my old blender, but the texture/consistency was weird enough that I never made more.  I recently got a new Ninja blender (with smoothie cup attachments) that's much faster and blends much better/finer, so I'm looking forward to going back and trying some old combinations I didn't previously care for just because of texture. 

^ we got one of these a few years ago - so good!

My advice is to try frozen fruit in place of ice, and don't forget the peanut butter

Breakfast is the best meal.

When I have the time I usually eat two German style bread roles (Wiki picture), one plain wheat, one multigrain, cut in halves, all with butter, one plain half just with salt, the other with serrano or salmon ham, one grain half with cream cheese, a slice of cheese and slices of tomato with salt (or an inferior variation), the other with Nutella or family made strawberry jam. Always a cooked egg of which I eat the yellow part with the salt and butter half bread role, a big cup of cold milk and fresh cut fruits. Sometimes there is juice.

When I lived abroad that was always the meal I missed the most. Good bread is hard to come by outside of Europe (at least in my experience and the places I've been to) and the food prices here are spoilingly low.

Carrots and hummus. I am trying to eat less carbohydrates and breakfast seems like the best meal to try and cut back. Figuring out how to eat less bread for breakfast is going to be tricky.

Today I had a large Galaxy chocolate bar, a pack of beef jerky and an energy drink. Wasn't a good day.

Cinnamon apple pancakes, buttered in the pan, maple syrup, and bacon. And coffee I roasted last night. Breakfast is the best.

You have a recipe for those? My wife would love them.

You have a recipe for those? My wife would love them.

If you want to make them entirely from scratch, here's my recipe for pancakes in general:

1c all purpose flour

1c whole wheat flour

1tsp salt

1tsp sugar

4+tsp baking powder

1tbsp oil

2 eggs

add milk to desired consistency

That makes pancakes for like 4 adults.

If you're doing apple pancakes, the easiest way to do it is use applesauce. Add the applesauce and a bunch of cinnamon *before* the milk (applesauce is wet so you'll end up using less milk), then add the milk to achieve the desired consistency. I use a lot of applesauce. Possibly 1 cup (never measured).

If you want to do banana pancakes instead, or really any whole fruit you want blended into the pancakes, do the batter as normal until it's done. Then add chunks of whatever fruit (I'll use 3 whole bananas for the recipe above), and use an immersion blender to blend the mix to the desired consistency. You can use a normal blender instead, but it's a pain in the butt. Immersion blenders are cheap and one of the best kitchen gadgets ever.

One note: Whenever you add fruit to pancakes you have to cook them at a relatively low temperature or they'll burn before they cook through.

Beyond that, once I flip the pancakes I butter them in the pan. This can require some attention so the butter doesn't melt off, but the result is awesome.

By the way, one other thing that can be great is instead of milk use plain yogurt. It can be a bit tricky getting the right consistency with yogurt, so you might want to use some normal milk as well.