Twig

The Happy Thread

I'm not sure what just happened here.

I'm just so happy for both of you!

About six months ago I was graduating from university and freaking out about not being able to get a job. I ended up actually getting the job, on a three month contract. Three months later, they said I was doing great and offered me another three month contract. Three months later, we're in the present and I've been offered a permanent position, which means a pay rise and benefits. Most importantly, being permanent means I can convince a rental agency to let me rent a flat instead of having to live with my Mum. I am so excited about being completely independent for the first time in my life.

Hooray happy things, everybody!

This past week, I started a new project at work. The old one was wrapping up, and we had a new contract to fulfill, and we need to get it done fast. At first, I was really frustrated, because, yet again, it was a project I wasn't excited about at all. Made it really hard to get motivated. Especially when I had to learn this whole new codebase. Lots of work devoted to something you hate is always a bummer.

But... then around the end of the day Thursday, after grinding away at stuff all week, something finally clicked and I really started getting into it. I even stayed late voluntarily to try to meet the deadline (which was yesterday, end of day). Turns out I actually still enjoy programming, provided I'm solving real problems! Previous project was just tedious tweaking of numbers, for the most part, but this one has me doing Cool Stuff. It's rad.

That combined with a mini performance review thing where he had nothing but positive things to say about me means work is great!

You people bringing meta jokes into the Happy Thread are awful. Congratulations, Vasari! That's a turnaround in the best way.

I made some cinnamon buns for a Wrestlemania party (I called them cinna-mcmahon buns), they were super good and people liked them. Not a lot of things are better than a cinnamon bun fresh from the oven. Recipe: Cinna-buns

I started playing tennis again recently; first time I've played a sport in a few years. I forgot how fun it is! Going to the court is now the highlight of my week. 

I booked my last hotel for my trip to Japan the other night! I can't wait to go! I'm so excited and happy about this! :D

for those interested, my route is: Aomori - Nagoya - Osaka - Ise - Tokyo

It's all starting to feel very real and very exciting now.

Awesome! That seems like a really interesting route. Man, I bet Japan is so beautiful this time of year. Unfortunately, I only got to experience the death heat of late Japanese summer and the winter. Definitely want to go back in the springtime. 

Is being reminded of the time I lived in Japan a happy thing? 'Cause hot damn do I want to go back there. Of course n1nja is well aware of this desire of mine, but hey.

Japan's so rad. I'm jealous.

I'll make sure to send you something nice twig! :D

I haven't been on a holiday in like 3 years, so I'm looking forward to it!

Awesome! That seems like a really interesting route. Man, I bet Japan is so beautiful this time of year. Unfortunately, I only got to experience the death heat of late Japanese summer and the winter. Definitely want to go back in the springtime. 

I'm the same, I've always gone in the summer for some god-knows-why reason. It's been a lifelong goal to see cherry blossom in japan, which is why we're heading up to Aomori first, because that's where my gf's mother lives, who'll be able to set up some cherry blossom viewing, and the cherry blossom is in season then. 

Nagoya is a short one-night stop, but I'm wanting to go back to Okazaki, where I stayed for a number of months, which is close to nagoya.

I've never been to Osaka, so it was originally going to be the only other place bar Tokyo and Aomori that I was going to go to! We've just booked Universal Studios Japan, which is not only super cool, but also has special 'cool japan' rides, like Harry potter, EVA 2.0, Monster Hunter X, and A Resident Evil 2 Escape the room game (seriously this will be insane).

Ise will also be 1 night, and was added because my gf's mum wanted us to go. Ise is the most popular tourist destination for Japanese people, as it has particularly beautiful shrines and parks. 

And then finally tokyo for 1 week where I'll just geek out and become poor :3

It's been a while for me...

Uh, I finally edited another episode fo Key Frames, the podcast about anime that me and n1nja and Gorm and Duncan (and sometimes other people) do! It's only literally almost a year late!

www.keyframespodcast.com

That's sort of happy! I hope to edit the others in the backlog so we can start recording again, and then be consistent in a release schedule, 'cause I love doing it, even if so few people listen!! :D