Moosferatu

Californium

I picked it up yesterday, and I'll play it at some point this weekend. Very excited about this!

Oh crap, I didn't realize this was out so soon. Gonna have to pick it up.

Had completely forgotten about this.

I suspect that I will have to read Ubik again after playing this...

I don't know anything about this game. Inform me, dear friends!

It looks cool, and is inspired by Philip K. Dick.

My biggest concern is that nearly everything inspired by Dick is mediocre at best. His work has a delicate balance of weirdness that, when mishandled, produces either the mundane or the outlandish instead, and neither is quite as satisfying. Still, I'm very eager to hear assessments of this game's quality, no matter how qualified!

Yeah, I also have my doubts about people being able to do justice to Dick's weirdness in a video game or a film (though, I was really looking forward to Michel Gondry's Ubik adaptation at one point).

Also, the user reviews for this game don't seem to be all that great. Might still check it out at some point. We'll see.

Never read Dick! Art looks... hmm, interesting but underwhelming? Iunno.

Some works inspired/based on Dick are really good thought. This popped up on recommended for you on Steam but I don't know much about it. Looks cool though. 

My biggest concern is that nearly everything inspired by Dick is mediocre at best. His work has a delicate balance of weirdness that, when mishandled, produces either the mundane or the outlandish instead, and neither is quite as satisfying. Still, I'm very eager to hear assessments of this game's quality, no matter how qualified!

Weird that you think this.  I can think of more things inspired by or adapted from Philip K Dick that are great than anyone but Shakespeare.

Weird that you think this.  I can think of more things inspired by or adapted from Philip K Dick that are great than anyone but Shakespeare.

We probably have different senses of the word "great." Looking at this list, the only adaptations that capture for me what was good about Dick as source material are Blade Runner (which is tenuous at points) and A Scanner DarklyThe Man in the High Castle is notable to me for being just the latest of a long succession of works that are interested in the aesthetics of Dick's works but not in the ideas that create the worldview behind them. That's why I find it and others mediocre.

Ha, I didn't even know that The Man in the High Castle was related to Phillip K Dick at all. That weird rendition of Mad World that was in all the previews pretty much guaranteed I'd never watch it.

We probably have different senses of the word "great." Looking at this list, the only adaptations that capture for me what was good about Dick as source material are Blade Runner (which is tenuous at points) and A Scanner DarklyThe Man in the High Castle is notable to me for being just the latest of a long succession of works that are interested in the aesthetics of Dick's works but not in the ideas that create the worldview behind them. That's why I find it and others mediocre.

If you expand the list to include things inspired by PKD: A Scanner Darkly, Total Recall, The Matrix, Blade Runner, The Truman Show, and most things by Kaufman or Cronenberg.  Outside of film, he inspired some of Crumb's comics, some cool art installations, and novelists like Haruki Murakami and Ursula le Guin, and probably a lot more.

If you expand the list to include things inspired by PKD: A Scanner Darkly, Total Recall, The Matrix, Blade Runner, The Truman Show, and most things by Kaufman or Cronenberg.  Outside of film, he inspired some of Crumb's comics, some cool art installations, and novelists like Haruki Murakami and Ursula le Guin, and probably a lot more.

You're right, it was my mistake in my initial post to use the word "inspired" instead of "adapted." I think Dick's works have proven to be fertile ground for other people's imaginations and as a generalized subcultural milieu, but that they're rarely appreciated, let alone adapted, as their own thing.

You're right, it was my mistake in my initial post to use the word "inspired" instead of "adapted." I think Dick's works have proven to be fertile ground for other people's imaginations and as a generalized subcultural milieu, but that they're rarely appreciated, let alone adapted, as their own thing.

Definitely. Judged purely on film adaptations, his work definitely doesn't fair very well.  There is a lot of mediocrity and some just plain crap.

So I bought this last night, and tried to play it. I've got kind of a middling laptop, but I exceeded system requirements by quite a bit, and it still ran like crap. It wasn't much better than watching a slideshow. Then it turns out this game is little more than a hidden object game. Disappointing to say the least. Given the awful performance, I got it refunded. Maybe a few patches will fix that, but at this point, I can't justify the purchase.

Where is picture/video of the robot? I can only see Philip K. Dick interviews.

I had no problems with the game performance (playing on a desktop, not a laptop).

The game itself is... not great. But it does justice to the world of Philip K. Dick I think, warts (i.e. misogyny) and all... I think I would have been okay with a hidden object game to facilitate exploring an interesting world, but finding the hidden objects was like the worst version of pixel hunting I've encountered in a long time.