dartmonkey

The games that made you buy the system

Oh, I thought of another example, though a bit different.  We bought a second 360 primarily to play Mass Effect 3 MP with each other.  We knew there would be other games we'd play as well, but that was what sold us on doing it since we both enjoyed that game so much.  That was during the time period when local co-op had all by been abandoned it seemed, and almost all co-op was online.  

I bought a friend's old 3DS when she upgraded to an XL so that I could play Etrian Odyssey IV. Totally worth it.

I mean my rule is to usually have at least 2-3 games to buy a system, but generally it doesn't matter because more games come out eventually that I will want to play that are exclusive.

So I can only really think of narrow margins:

Virtual Boy for Wario Land, Teleroboxer, and Mario Clash

PS Vita for Uncharted Golden Abyss and Rayman Legends (had some extra levels)

I still feel a bit annoyed on the Vita purchase because I was hoping more games would come out because it's a nice little handheld, but instead it's been abandoned unless you love JRPGs and games with lots of boobies.

I bought a Vita for Persona 4 Golden. I ended up not loving that version for the Fanservice it adds (Hey this character has gender identity issues, what should we add for this remake? Boob jokes!) but overall I don't regret it.

I bought an Xbone for Viva Pinata Trouble In Paradise. I'll buy something else for it at some point.

I'll get a Playstation if they ever actually do release the Last Guardian.

I bought my PS3 for The Last Guardian.  :violin:

I installed Steam because I borrowed a classmates' ruined, scratched, unreadable Half Life 1 CD. The CD Key worked and gave me all the half lifes + counter strike + richochet.

I’m one of the many people who installed Steam simply in order to play Half Life 2 on release day. It’s easy to forget about how everyone was really annoyed about this back in 2004; even if you’d bought a disc, as I did, you still had to activate it via this new-fangled proprietary network. And I can’t recall if you could even buy and download entire games from Steam at this point — it was only really used for multiplayer matchmaking. This was especially frustrating for me because I was in my first year of university at the time and my dorm room didn’t have wireless or wired LAN internet (!) so I think I had to carry my laptop to an IT lab and jack it in to get the game working.

I bought a PS3 Slim in 2011 or thereabouts because I’d been reading things about Dark Souls and it sounded absolutely enthralling (and it was). It also seemed insane that it would ever see a PC release. I suppose I could’ve bought a 360, because I desperately wanted to play other cross-platform stuff like Deus Ex: Human Revolution as well, but by that time it seemed to me like the PS3 had a back catalogue that was better attuned to the kinds of games I like. 

The Vita seemed like a good idea at the time. The PS4 was for Bloodborne and MGSV and Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within. But it was mainly as a kind of extension of all the kinds of things I liked about the PS3. 

The Wii U and 3DS were because I wanted to play Nintendo games. The Wii U was actually my first ever experience of a Nintendo system, and it’s become pretty much the ideal way to discover their back catalogue. Playing Super Metroid while hunched over the gamepad, with the music oozing out from those little stereo speakers, is (for me) a more compelling and intimate experience compared to blasting it up on a big TV in the living room. I really hope they build upon their Virtual Console back catalogue rather than starting from scratch again with the NX.

I do wonder if there’s still such a thing as a ‘killer app’. Digital storefronts, cheap software and multi-purpose devices mean we simply demand more from a purchase these days. People don’t just expect to buy one extremely cool game and play it endlessly: they want endless moderately cool games that range from blockbusters to indie titles and everything in between. That’s why the PS4 has done so well this generation: not because of the success of individual titles, but because they’ve created the perception that it’s the best place to get all this stuff you want. I suspect the first company to make a success out of VR will be the ones who can convince the world that their platform is both viable and affordable for the many kinds of experience that people will want to have with it.

I think I posted this in another thread but I bought the xbox 360 just to play the Skate games and those are still the only games I play on that console. If they come out with a Skate for xbox one I will unfortunately have to buy that system also.

I bought a Vita for Persona 4 Golden. 

Plan on doing the same once I finish Persona 3 Portable some time this year.

Bought a DS to play the World Ends with You and a PS3 a couple months ago for the very low price of 80 euros for Demon Souls (and finding out persona 5 will also be on PS3 so no need to buy a PS4 at some stage down the line)

Playing the smash 4 demo on my 3DS led me to getting a Wii U for smash. It's the only real time for me where a specific game led to a specific console. Every other console I've bought in order to play games on it more generally. 

I don't think that's specific to the game, or my excitement, though. I refused to get smash 4 for the 3ds because I knew I'd break my circle pad, and there's only so much competitive style play you can do on the 3ds. I had considered getting a Wii U for over a year, but I was going back and forth about price, timing, and games. We had a Wii that we used for Project M, but my sister wanted to bring it to college to play a backlog of games she had. My roommates and I have also been trying to cultivate a better social environment at our place, so a Wii U was helpful, cuz not many people were willing to play PM or Brawl, the only multiplayer game(s) we had. It just kinda filled a bunch of holes. 

I was another one who bought a N64 for Goldeneye... My brother had it and it was so cool! I've had many of the consoles released since, but most of them I just fancied anyway. I remember getting a PS1 for Gran Turismo, a Dreamcast for Sonic Adventure (ugh), and a PS3 for Uncharted. I got back into PC gaming after buying a new one for Elite Dangerous, have already upgraded the GPU once, and may just get a whole new system to support its VR requirements depending on how big and power hungry the next generation of GPUs are, since my current one is small and has a 330W limit.

Most recently I bought a Vita for Danganronpa, and regretted nothing until it was announced for PC! I do like the Vita as a system though, and have stacked it with JRPGs which are much more bearable when you can turn off at any time and restart instantly!

I play my vita more than anything else right now. I'm usually too tired from work to play anything too complicated, so I turn on some shitty sitcom and play Nuclear Throne or Crypt of the Necrodancer until I want to sleep. My vita is basically a collection of Rogue-likes and Persona games. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Still not played Danganronpa. I never play handhelds without something else in the back ground, and there's so much reading for that game that I can't really do it with the TV on. 

I bought an Xbone for Viva Pinata Trouble In Paradise. I'll buy something else for it at some point.

Please tell me that this isn't a mistake and that you bought an Xbone to play a port of an X360 game?

Megadrive - Altered Beast and Ghouls n Ghosts were my favourite arcade games. I got a shock when I discovered Altered Beast is actually garbage.

Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi, Power Stone and Soul Caliber

NeoGeo Pocket Colour - When I saw Samurai Showdown II on it I could not resist

Xbox - I went to a Lan party where there were 4 consoles setup so that we could play 16 player Halo. I lost it, the twin sticks on the Duke just made sense to me and I couldn't believe (after playing a lot of Quake III on the Dreamcast and Goldeneye on the N64) that an FPS could work on a console so well. I bought one about 2 days later.

Xbox 360 - I was really resistant to buying this because everyone just seemed to regret purchasing it in the first year, nothing apart from Dead Rising seemed appealing (and I wasn't going to buy an HD TV to play it). Then Gears of War came out and I got the chance to play it.

PS3 - I really wanted to play Yakuza 3 and 4 as well as Tokyo Jungle

Xbox One - I wasn't interested at all, the lineup looked garbage and then I saw Dead Rising 3 running and I took a co-worker's unwanted pre-order off his hands.

The only time ONE game made me decide to buy a system was Cannon Spike for the Dreamcast... Although I guess I always wanted a Mega Drive after seeing a friend play Sonic on it.

Please tell me that this isn't a mistake and that you bought an Xbone to play a port of an X360 game?

I also bought it for the elite controller and to play the Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive at some point. I'm just waiting for digital copies of them to go on sale. Rare Replay was the main reason for the system though.

Yeah, don't disparage Rare Replay. That was most of my August/September right there. That is a great pack of things.

The deciding games for every major new console release i've purchased with my own money:

GBA - F-Zero: Maximum Velocity drove me to pick a GBA up at launch and i had zero regrets about it, Maximum Velocity is a terrific F-Zero game. (It's also the one that owes the most to the original.)

Dreamcast - SoulCalibur was the one here and there's obviously no regrets about it, SoulCalibur is one of the best 3d fighters ever made and one of the strongest launch games in the history of console launches. (Though i actually didn't get a DC at launch!)

Gamecube - I was holding off on a Gamecube until Metroid Prime came out, i wanted to see if Nintendo could pull of Metroid in 3D before spending the cash on the console. I remember playing at a store demo station for about 15 minutes before walking off and coming back the next day with cash in hand for a GC and a copy of Prime.

PS2 - I was a late, late adopter of the PS2. You know what game did it for me? Gradius V. It was totally worth it too, Gradius V is amazing.

DS - Bought at launch largely on the promise of Metroid Prime Hunters, a game that got delayed and delayed and delayed and left the DS with a pretty dire first year. (At least i had that First Hunt demo...) When Hunters eventually came out, i ended up enjoying it quite a lot, though it was definitely a flawed game in a number of ways.

PSP - This happened at launch and this one is actually pretty hard to pin down, because as much as that console struggled later on, it had an outrageously good launch line-up. I'm going to say it was probably Lumines that was the deciding factor though.

Xbox 360 - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter. I remember just being bowled over by the early footage of the game available online, and it ended up being the deciding factor in buying a 360. I had a fantastic time with its multiplayer, it was a pretty great game.

Wii - Red Steel. I don't want to talk about it. I was so mad.

Wii U - So i told myself i bought my Wii U to play Xenoblade Chronicles X, even though i bought it months in advance of that release, but yeah... Xenoblade Cross is pretty sweet.

3DS - Christ, i have no idea why i bought a 3DS a launch, the thing had such a terrible launch line-up. I want to say the promise of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was the thing that pushed me over the edge. A new turn-based tactics game from Julian Gollop? Sounds great, except the game is a bug-ridden mess. (Quite interestingly though, it was uncannily evocative of what Firaxis would go on to do with their X-com reboot.)

To clarify, that is no criticism of loving Viva Pinata. It is just that you could have got an X360 and played it for maybe 60 quid.

Also, heads up about the Elite controller - there are some weird things with the triggers that I have been noticing when you change the settings.

I've had several consoles/systems in my lifetime.  The Wii and the Wii U didn't really have that killer application for me - I was more about the potential of the system.

SNES: Super Mario World

Xbox: Fable 1

Xbox 360: Gears of War 2 and Fable 2

3DS: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.  I've played other games on the 3DS, but honestly, if I only bought the system to just play that one game once, I would have been perfectly satisfied.