melmer

Firewatch Spoiler Thread | Henry Two Hats

Putting a Harry And The Hendersons ref in the thread title spoils the third act sasquatch reveal, dude.

I never found the trowel and therefore couldn’t beat the secret Ghost Sasquatch boss. (Joking aside, I’m still confused why the trowel wasn’t there.)

So, what did you guys think of the story? First play through I played it in one go from 0 am to 5 am, which definitly enhanced the experience, the breaking into Wapiti station part and the cave exploration were very intense. Didn’t expect the twist, but like it much more than if it would’ve been an actual crazy conspiracy. Second play through I was surprised how many new lines I heard. And I found some more Wizards and Wyverns stuff and got more dialogue about Brian, which made it even sader. Just such an awesome game. The photo feature was part of why I played it twice in such a short time, such a cool idea.

And I loved the easter eggs. I only found the duck because somebody told me about it, no idea how he spotted it, it’s so small.

(copied from the other thread)

I found The Accidental Survivor, one of the books from Gone Home. Don’t have a picture. But even cooler: Good Ol’ Christmas Duck! :D

http://imgur.com/0pJl1br

(Can’t figure out how to get that picture here properly)

I found the trowel! But I didn't put it away (because you couldn't) -- I think it's in the area where the controlled firemen were based, if I remember correctly.

Just finished this up and I'll list a similar complaint to the one I posted in the non-spoiler thread. Right after you find the axe, Delilah suggests that you're being overheard on the radio. In the next scene, she hints for you to go to Cottonwood Creek (Cove?) but I instead headed for the fence. I didn't radio anything in because I felt that would fit Henry's motivation, but when I picked up the observation documents, Delilah didn't act surprised at all that I was suddenly beyond the fence and at this strange site. Felt very vidoegamey and I did not like it at all. Felt like I rushed through the game after that.

Aside from that last hour though, I really liked everything. The exploration, in-world maps/books/notes, the art, music, and voice acting were all top notch. I'm still half-confused on what was happening with Ned's equipment at the monitoring station, but I really liked that it went for a believable ending.

so which ending did you guys choose? I said she'd be a shrink. And then was unsure when D told me to go back to my wife. Did anyone tell D to come with her? I wanted to, but that didn't rest easy on how i envisioned him.

I asked her to come back to Boulder with me and she just kind of blows you off by saying she has stuff to do and that you don't actually want her there, but maybe she'll come by after she finishes some other stuff in Wyoming.

SgtWhistleBottom: I'm still kind of processing everything, but I think the actual site was biologists tracking wildlife (maybe bears?) because a bunch of the documents do refer to mating habits and things like that as well as the tracking collars only making sense with some serious research funds behind it.

The reports about Henry & Delilah are signed by "EG" (Ned being short for Edward), which makes me think that he's just gone crazy in the woods by himself and has been stealing stuff from various sites and made those reports, and the actual tracking equipment was being used for actual science.

I was 100% sure that bee was going to be important.

Discovering the body wrecked me in a way that I haven't been wrecked in a game before. The pictures in the credits had me welling up. 

I also had made peace with Henry / my decision to put Jules in the care home way before Henry did. My dad went through a similar ordeal with his mom (my Nana) and it's this horrible experience of watching someone you love disappear into a total stranger that just utterly grinds you down to nothing. You do what's best for them as best you can, but romantic notions of perseverance evaporate after the few couple of years. It's something you can't understand without living it. I hate that movie The Notebook.

Just finished first playthrough, and that emotional journey was rough, but beautiful.  There were a couple of elements of the mystery that lost me a little bit, but the script and acting blew me away.  I was also convinced of bee significance for a while.

The first day that the ring is on the table literally made my heart lurch.  The picture of Julia and the ring were so obvious, and yet so effectively did what they were supposed to for me.

My Henry didn't put Jules in a home, partly because I remember those discussions with my parents and grandmother regarding my grandfather, and how hard they worked to maintain that horrible experience, so that they could have those moments of lucidity.  It left me with a deep fear of early onset Alzheimer's for years, but if my parents end up in the same situation, I think I'd still have to wait a long time before putting them in a home, as heart crushing as that is.  I am so very glad that they kept the intro details out of media, because seeing that beforehand would have put me in a very different state coming to the game.

As far as ending goes, I asked her to come to Boulder, and was glad it didn't commit their relationship into something.  I was never romantic with Delilah in my playthrough, but there were certainly the roots of a deep friendship there and I didn't want her to think that I wanted to walk away.  I was glad that option kept the relationship trajectory pretty open.

I have a weird comment/question, did anyone else somehow hear Chris's voice in Henry sometimes?  Something about the vocabulary or delivery occasionally very much reminded me of Chris.

so which ending did you guys choose? I said she'd be a shrink. And then was unsure when D told me to go back to my wife. Did anyone tell D to come with her? I wanted to, but that didn't rest easy on how i envisioned him.

I think those dialogue choices are actually dependent on what you tell Delilah during the course of the game. I played through twice and when being open it gave the Shrink option, but when being cagey it gave a Crossword option. Nothing you say changes what happens, but it's a nice touch.

You can hear the windchimes in the clearing—maybe even at the beginning of the game?  As I was playing I kept walking back and forth in a certain spot, trying to tell if the chimes were actually part of the game.  When I felt they were, I thought, "oh, I guess there is a location up there that I will get to later."  And there was!

I turned Julia's photo face up and kept my wedding ring on!  Then I told Delilah to come to Boulder, so what do I know?

When talking to Delilah at the start of "The Big Fire," she asked, "Are you looking at the fire?"  Henry replied, "I'm looking at you," which is indeed exactly what I was doing as the player.  I wonder how contextual that is?  "I'm looking at Forrest Byrnes."

I feel like the villain's confession needed to be either more desperate for a connection with Henry—or way more detached from society.  Maybe he thinks everything is futile—your kid's gonna die and your wife's gonna forget you so what good are the relationships we form?

I turned Julia's photo face up and kept my wedding ring on!  Then I told Delilah to come to Boulder, so what do I know?

Same. I wanted Henry to see his friend, there wasn't necessarily anything romantic in the invitation, I don't think.

What a Full Throttle ending, though! "I guess I'll see you." "Yeah, maybe."

Well that ate up my night from start to finish. Some parts of this game had my heart racing so I had to keep going despite a need for better time management. That's what I get for starting.

I might have to play it again eventually to see what other dialogue options were but I definitely did not show Delilah romantic interest but it seems eventually the game may have pushed it that way because later Henry calls her sweetheart? Does that always happen? I also need to play through again because I didn't realize Henry was writing every day and you could read them every morning until the second day. Mostly because you can't pick them up and I have to get really close to my TV to see what they say.

I also thought maybe Henry and Delilah had a rendezvous that I had no control over because of what Henry wrote on the night after the fire on his desk and Delilah being drunk, that maybe they met up, but it's possible he just meant they talked on the walkie-talkies all night, that would make the most sense.

I was convinced right until the end that Ned did not carry out this whole thing on his own, but I guess he did. Seems like a very elaborate ruse to put up so that someone doesn't find his dead son. I am not sure how he could build a chain link fence that large all by himself or set up all of that equipment. Plus I thought maybe Delilah's suspicious phone call in the beginning had something to do with it. Also I guess that was Delilah talking to someone else on a walkie talkie and not a phone though since the phone line was cut. I am also going to guess Ned is actually the one who cut the phone line and wrote the letter from the teen girls. Also if he wrote a note to the rangers doing the controlled burn wouldn't they want to know who this supposed doctor they were talking to was on about?

Also I am curious if I got all the letters from those guys who left them to eachother in the supply boxes. I swear I only ended up with 3 or 4 and I reread them to see if it had anything to do with the Wapiti area, since it's mentioned that one of them "overdid" something there. Maybe I did miss a bunch of stuff part of a larger story?

I guess besides all of these details, I am not sure why if Ned wanted to stay out there the rest of his life as a hermit why he did not bury his son's body or hide it. Seems like a much easier way to take care of it instead of leaving threatening tapes or creating red herrings.

Oh well, mostly story questions, really like the banter and atmopshere, plus all the lonely feelings of it. I have never been camping alone, but it feels lonely already with just one other person, and scary to boot. The game really tapped into that for me. I also made sure the turtle went with Henry at the, was a nice touch. Was the only way to pick up the turtle to go into the area at the beginning that seemed completely optional or does it appear in other places?

Also you guys realize because this game takes place in both the universe of The Last of Us (University of Eastern Colorado) and Gone Home (Greenbriar book) that now Nathan Drake might become a Big Daddy someday? I guess that's what is going to happen in Uncharted 4. Old Drake journeys to a lost city in the ocean to decide if he wants to murder little girls or not but then remembers he just likes treasure and the value of friendship.

I was convinced right until the end that Ned did not carry out this whole thing on his own, but I guess he did. Seems like a very elaborate ruse to put up so that someone doesn't find his dead son. I am not sure how he could build a chain link fence that large all by himself or set up all of that equipment.

Oh, that research stuff - I got the impression it was being used by the Parks Department or whatever to track bears or take soil samples, and then while they were away Ned was using it to eavesdrop on Henry and Delilah.

In Ned's notes there's something to the effect of "the real scientists come back to work in August, leave no trace."

Oh, that research stuff - I got the impression it was being used by the Parks Department or whatever to track bears or take soil samples, and then while they were away Ned was using it to eavesdrop on Henry and Delilah.

In Ned's notes there's something to the effect of "the real scientists come back to work in August, leave no trace."

The entire camp also seems pretty run of the mill. When Henry says something to the effect that there's 20ft tall radio towers, they're just short weather monitoring towers: both feature prominent anemometers and various other weather packages with a distinct lack of any antenna. The items in the tent are similar innocuous: tracking collars, notes about weather, etc. -- the only things out of place are the items that Ned added.

I must have missed Ned's scribble. Was it in the four pages at the end? Hmmm...

I guess my big thing with the research camp and the fence is that Delilah said it shouldn't be there and she had no notification of any kind that there was research taking place there. It would seem strange to me that Delilah wouldn't be informed if she were the boss, but I guess that's less strange than a man building a huge chain link fence and weird devices all by himself.

EDIT: Also I just remembered, does anything happen if you take the other supply boxes? I was in the process of picking one up and was trying to throw it around but the game skipped to next day.

It's possible that if the camp is being used outside of summer and Delilah's only firewatching during the summer she might not necessarily be aware, I guess.

Also there was something in Ned's notes about Delilah rarely leaving her tower.

Yeah my take was she didn't leave because she had to talk to the other lookouts at all times from her headset, so in turn her bosses would have informed her about all of her employees' areas for the summer.

Oh well, I guess I was really convinced there was something more than Ned and his dad, but now I'm really confused why he just left his son's body like that. Or he could have not left the keys in a backpack attached to an alarm and buried them somewhere if he was worried about Henry finding his son. If anything he was the one who led Henry there by creating this elaborate ruse in the first place. Maybe I'm supposed to take away that he really wanted to tell someone about his guilt then?

Man, that game was so great. I had no idea what to expect, and I'm really happy with how it turned out!

My thoughts were that the scientists base was used in the months that Delilah wasn't there, so she wasn't notified about it.

Side-note, I'm also curious if anyone else stole the supply boxes? I want to go back and role play as a complete asshole next time....

I had this idea in my head on the second day that I was going to go to every supply cache before continuing the story, but you are pretty much locked out of all the places you shouldn't be besides where the turtle is at, which it seems only sits at the beginning area of the game. If you go and check you can also have a conversation with Delilah about the rocks falling and blocking off the area in which you entered.

Henry does not appear to feed or water his turtle or treat it well though. It also needs a water tank since it's a turtle and not a tortoise. Very bad pet owner. Jordan said in chat that this is reflective of his character, I agree.

I am pretty sure I missed other funny side things, so I'll wait to play it again until I have a good ol' "things to try" list. Otherwise, I found the cabin with the raccoon story and also a little alcove near the lake where you can see a raccoon on a stump and have a short conversation about it. I'm wondering if there were any secret supply caches or more notes to find by the other two guys who used to be lookouts. Also if you go back and check where the teenager camp ground was you can see that everything is gone which in turn plays into the items ending up in Ned's hideout.