Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Help me choose one from 6 free books

Amazon has rewarded me for something or other by offering me the choice of one free Kindle book out of:

Divergent by Veronica Roth

The Last Kingdom (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 1) by Bernard Cornwell

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (The Liveship Traders, Book 1)

Payback by Kimberley Chambers

Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan

Anyone able to recommend any of these?

I too have the same promo and think I will probably go for The Corrections. But that's based on nothing.

I have a burning irrational hatred of Jonathan Franzen for how creepy he is about David Foster Wallace, so I'm going to recommend against that.

Besides that, I've only read Ship of Magic on the list, which I found to be on the upper-end scale of fantasy quality. Hobb is pretty good. You'd get a bit more out of it if you've read the previous trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice and onwards) but it stands well on its own. Just know you'll be on the hook for two more books.

Hmm,ok, thanks both. Any more opinions? I'll post when I've decided!

I've only read Ship of Magic as well. It'll hook you for another 2 books, very high fantasy book. Hobb is a good author, characters get really shit deals done to them a lot! Maybe more in the Assassin's trilogy than in the Liveship traders. I'd recommend the book if you're into fantasy.

I don't know anything about the other 4 titles.

Well, I was going to go for Ship Of Magic, because:

From a quick google, The Corrections seems very to the modern American experience to the extent I may not appreciate it as much

If pabosher is going for that book, I may as well go for the other so we can give the forums a broader range of experience!

Fantasy seems like an easier fit for my reading mode right now - ie 20 minute bursts during lunch or before I fall asleep

However, amazon had "an internal error in their system", so this may turn out to be another one of those little unexpected and yet unobtainable rewards they throw at me every now and again.

Welp, I got the site working but I didn't pay attention closely enough to the instructions and assumed that the place to enter the code would be at checkout like every other section of Amazon. Instead it's a tiny link under the  panel that includes the (again, unlike elsewhere) immediate-purchase Buy button, which you have to click and then, even though the price doesn't change, click the Buy button. And they don't put the instructions for this in the offer email, only in a screen you have to click through to get to the store page. So I accidentally ordered it full price, immediately got it refunded, then went to order it with the code but clicked the wrong book, refunded that and now am being told that the offer code has been used so I'm shit out of luck. Fuck it.

I am going to gift you this book now if you'll let me because I'm so entertained by your travails as well as suffering from secondhand frustration.

Aw, that's very nice of you osmosisch, but don't worry about it! I could probably get amazon to provide me with a new voucher if I complained but I'm not that bothered about the book really. Now if you wanted to buy me all 23 or so of the Wild Cards novels...