Jov

Making Mr. Remo Uncomfortable

So, I've discovered I take the same bus home as Chris. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've bumped into him twice in the the past three days. The first time (Tuesday night), I noticed him literally right before he was about to step off, and kinda mumbled to him "Chris Remo?" to which he stopped and said "What's up?". I was excited and shook his hand and told him I'm a fan and he said nice meeting you and got off. The whole exchange lasted about 5 seconds and I wasn't entirely sure it was actually him or just some random lookalike. I wanted to confirm, so I shot him a couple Tweets asking if it was indeed him, but he didn't reply.

Just like thirty minutes ago I got on the same bus and he was already there. So I got to have a quick chat, confirmed it was really him, and tried to keep it casual, quick, and pleasant. He seemed a little uncomfortable though, and I was really worried that he felt cornered or something, so after a couple of minutes I excused myself.

As much as I'd love having an occasional 5 minute chat on the ride home, I think I will leave him alone next time I see him. I consider myself a pretty even keeled and agreeable guy (vs being super socially awkward and neckbeardy or whatever), but the last thing I want to do is make the guy uncomfortable on his commute. This makes me pretty sad, though.

After listening to the Podcast for about two years, and only having moved down to San Francisco two months ago (my wife got a job at Industrial Light and Magic) I'd be lying if I didn't totally daydream about running into Chris and the rest of the gang. I've daydreamed about playtesting at Campo Santo. Running into him after only being in the city for two months almost feels like a daydream manifested, but it's really hard to not feel like a creepy stalker. What do?

Yeah that's awkward but sometimes you just gotta be like "fuck it."

It's like when someone assumes that I'm hitting on them when I just sincerely share a coincidental interest/time/place. It's awkward, but it's whatever. I'm not going to walk around being aftaid of making other people uncomfortable just by being present in public. That would be miserable and I have a reasonable desire to exist in the world

Sorry I gave you the impression you made me uncomfortable! That wasn't the case, it was totally fine!

Sorry I gave you the impression you made me uncomfortable! That wasn't the case, it was totally fine!

:D

Well in that case, you got a new bus buddy!

...and thanks. This made me feel better.

:D

Well in that case, you got a new bus buddy!

...and thanks. This made me feel better.

Oh also sorry if I ignored your tweets, it wasn't intentional. They must have just gotten lost in the shuffle, I don't remember seeing them.

Are you the same guy that saw Chris when he was trying to get his new computer going?

"Hi Chris, I'm a huge fan."

"Don't even talk to me about fans right now."

Are you the same guy that saw Chris when he was trying to get his new computer going?

"Hi Chris, I'm a huge fan."

"Don't even talk to me about fans right now."

Haha, no. But that sounds amusing.

My fans have all been running quite well for like 8 years now in my build. Go Cooler Master!

The untold story is that Jov has been getting onto busses mumbling "Chris Remo?" at strangers for the past 18 months.

It was a cold January morning when I alighted my usual bus journey. I was tired, and it was late. I wanted nothing more than to get home and relax. However, that was when I caught sight of the man. He seemed aggravated at some unseen foe. And inexplicably carried a massive bag of toiletpaper and nail polish. 

But I knew who he was, it was Mr. Remo. I was familiar with his work, and without even thinking I mumbled his name aloud. He turned, hearing his name and stared at me silently. We sat that way for too long, neither speaking a word or knowing what to say, until he broke the silence with a flat "What's up?"

- Excerpt from "Making Mr. Remo Uncomfortable" by Thomas Pynchon

Haha, no. But that sounds amusing.

My fans have all been running quite well for like 8 years now in my build. Go Cooler Master!

Have you listened to this week's podcast yet? Your encounter sounds very similar to the story mentioned on it.

The title of this thread and first sentence of the story led me to assume we were gathering ideas for how to best make Chris Remo uncomfortable now that you realilzed you are on the same bus as him. Imagine if instead of mumbling his name you whispered "Spelunky is not that good" just as he's walking past.

The title of this thread and first sentence of the story led me to assume we were gathering ideas for how to best make Chris Remo uncomfortable now that you realilzed you are on the same bus as him. Imagine if instead of mumbling his name you whispered "Spelunky is not that good" just as he's walking past.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. "More like Barf Hall, amirite?!"

Have you listened to this week's podcast yet? Your encounter sounds very similar to the story mentioned on it.

Oh man! Haha! I hadn't yet. Yes, that was totally me! :)

On the bright side

Think of all that exercise Chris will get now he has to avoid the bus

Could even buy a bike

I came up behind Chris on a bus in Seattle on the way to PAX for the panel! I learned that the best time to say hi is definitely not when they are fumbling for their wallet to pay bus fare.

There seems to be a pattern here. Or Chris just uses public transit a lot.

I thought this would be a thread where we're all blowing smoke up Mr Remo's ass for his aural ouevre.

Man, I know I'm probably a dick but I usually factor commuting time into my 'day plan' as DS and podcast time. There's nothing worse* than seeing a vague acquaintance on the bus when I've just settled into a 'cast. I have been known to feign not seeing them by being engrossed in Tetris. I am a selfish lonesome meanie.

This thread also made me consider an uncomfortable (though thankfully remote) possibility - what if Firewatch is, you know,...stinky? :/

*exaggeration