Sign in to follow this  
clyde

2-Hour Jam

s60nPHX.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap:

hvBDpZV.jpg

:stan:

Come join us for a 2-hour jam on Saturday, January 30th 2016!

Feel free to arrange a more specific time to meet up with others. Everyone has life situations though so this is a flexible event. The goal is to make a game, the suggested time is intended to help folks scope very small projects that are more likely to get finished and which won't require much of a commitment.

Having doubts that you can make a game in 2 hours?

Here are some tools that emphasize convenience and ease:

Flickgame by Increpare

click spoiler tag for instructions:

-Draw in your browser

-Choose what page each color will take the player to when clicked (each association is page-specific)

-Title your game by typing in the header

-Click "share" and post the link here in this thread.

PlingPling by Increpare

-Paint with pinball parts listed on the right side.

-Choose a color-palette by clicking the "<" and ">" symbols above the pinball parts.

-Exit points will lead to the next page when the ball strikes it.

-Make sure to include a ball-spawn

-Type a congratulations message in the bottom box.

-Give your pinball-table a name by typing in the left header.

-Click "share" and post the link here.

TinyChoice by Increpare

-Type in the box to replace the stuff after the =START=, but use similar syntax.

-for instance: replace

You stand between a field of sheep and a field of cows.

with

You discover that you have put your shirt on backwards.

then change

Go to the cows -> cowfield

with

Pull your arms into your sleeves and rotate your shirt carefully -> rotate

include other options with the format

Message player will see -> title of label

then make the label by writing it in all caps and putting = before and after it.

-click "share" and post the link here.

Want more flexibility? Try Scratch by MIT

click spoiler tag for details and a few video-tutorials:

Similar to the engines by Increpare, this engine will automatically host your game online if you register an account (free) and share your game. Additionally, their licensing demands that your game give permission to be remixed and altered by other Scratch users. So it follows that you can make remixes of other people's games without feeling guilty about it, a family tree of remixes is automatically created for people to explore how the game was repurposed over time. In a way, this makes Scratch a game-engine engine. Feel free to find a Scratch game you like and alter it for the two-hour jam.

Scratch is a little more complex than the Increpare engines, so I've included some video tutorials that I thought were succinct and clear.

Here is a dialogue-heavy cut-scene type thing.

Here are some video tutorials explaining how to do some stuff that you might want to put in a game.

Here is some art to inspire us all:

These are just some tools, feel free to use any tool. Feel free to use any tools you like. Draw a maze and upload it to imgur. Place a figurine in your room, take a picture of it and list the things we should try to find in the Hidden Picture. It'll be fun to make a game and share it with us!

cJFll3F.jpg

I added Scratch to the list of suggested engines in the first post and included some tutorial-videos for Scratch in the spoiler-tag.

The event is this upcoming Saturday!!!

I'll post a reminder on Wednesday.

The Jam is today. Find two hours (or so) and make a game. Late is fine, less than two hours is fine, more than two hours is fine (but part of the idea of a two hour jam is to limit scope. Maybe your game doesn't need that extra feature. Maybe it's kinda cool that it breaks like that). When you are finished, post the game here.

If you have any questions or difficulties post here or contact me on Twitter @cafefiction. If you don't want to make an Idle Thumbs account, then tell me on Twitter and I'll post the link for you.

alright so let's do this thing (btw im nuuup)

Sweet. It's gonna get all nuuuped up in here.

I have to go to work in 30 min, so I won't be making my game til after I get home and have dinner.

Thought up an idea while walking the dog, going to have a shower and get jamming!

nice!!!!!!!! I'll probably be too exhausted to make anything when I get home from work, but I'll find two hours some time in the coming days!

And i begin. I don't even have an idea yet...

I don't have one either. I'm hoping that just looking at some of the default Scratch sprites will inspire me. This could go poorly. That'll be fine.

I'm going to start now. I was going to play y'alls first but I am having difficulty downloading them. I think it might be one of those problems which will solve itself if I wait a little while (2 hours for instance).

edit: 50 minutes in, this is going well, I need to stop playing my game and add stuff.

Yeah, I can't download any of these from itch.io right now either. It thanks me for downloading, but there is no actual download. D:

I have now played (and solved/beat/passed) Champ Thinks of Nums and Bad Castle. Very nice projects guys! 

I like the subtlety in the Bad Castle graphics, and Champ made me laugh. 

I enjoy Bad Castle a lot. The compositions do a great job of evoking a fantastic adventure.

The lighting-effect you managed within FlickGame's limitations (when approaching the castle) was notable btw.

I mined the techniques of old Atari games. The pallet provided is perfect for shading and gradients.

I still can't get Choir of Angles to download. But I was able to put Sixty Second Smash City into a collection and then download it through the itch.io desktop app. I can't do the same for Choir of Angles because it doesn't allow me to put it into a collection. I notice that dib's provided link includes "secret" in the link-address, maybe this is related to the issue?

Anyways, Sixty Second Smash City was novel. I read the game as cyberpunk due to the car's design and its abilities.

There is something that interests me about the slight but sudden loss of momentum matched with the low bit-rate collision-sound, and the deflection of the car. I think a lot of games are centered around collision in some way; this game makes me think there is a lot of potential in aiming for qualities besides fidelity and/or good-feel when tuning the way impacts play out.

Choir of Angels is incredible. Trying get interesting orbits is very engaging.

Champ Thinks of Nums I really like all the hip hop stings.

Bad Castle is an excellent piece of interactive pixel art.

Choir of Angels is a hit with the kids but not the wife who's trying to read a book :) Does it work on a touch screen?

Champ Thinks of Nums makes me hope clyde is OK