Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

ES2D 1/12/2016: New Season, New Scandals

Esports Today January 12, 2016:

844__header.jpg

New Season, New Scandals
Rob and Andrew welcome Taylor Cocke to look at the new season of LCS, and whether this will mark a sea-change for North American League of Legends. Then they get Sad About StarCraft as major sponsor, SBENU, crashes and burns amid fraud allegations. But StarCraft remains awesome, and Andrew is looking forward to the Shanghai Major.

League of Legends, StarCraft 2, Dota 2

Crib Sheet

The Liquid thread on SBENU craziness.

The SBENU allegations are the most "whoa, if true" story I've heard in awhile!

Interesting note about Team Liquid, they have in their player Jerax one of the best Earth Spirit players in the world, a hero that just got released into captain's mode this patch. The hero has a convoluted toolkit of abilities that in the hands of the right player makes the hero seem completely broken. When you have a player that is so strong on a hero that enemy teams have to respect ban it, that always will help give your team an edge in the drafting phase, so I anticipate a strong showing from Team Liquid.

Byun has been playing mostly in Olimoleague run by Olimoley/BaseTradeTV, which is a weekly tournament with monthly finals as well, that many Korean pros participate in, though it is open for everyone to enter. I just had a look on the Olimoleague wiki page and in 2015, Byun has won 6 weekly and 2 monthly Olimoleagues, mostly in the latter half of the year. 

surprised you guys didn't touch on MLG being bought out by Activision. Maybe there's not a whole lot to dig into?

from my own perspective, MLG has always seemed like a bizarre institution. It steadfastly rides the line of total parody, and its bland, focus tested esports culture / questionable business decisions over the years have made it into a sort of unbreakable punching bag. I am genuinely perplexed how such an event makes enough in profits year to year to justify its existence, let alone be worth $46m and (presumably) investing in.

Looking at Byun all you need to know is this http://aligulac.com/players/47/results/?after=2015-11-10&before=2016-01-16&event=&race=ptzr&country=all&bestof=all&offline=both&game=all&wcs_season=&wcs_tier=&op= Having a 86% winrate in matches against the top Koreans in online tournaments is insane, like better than Innovation at the end of Hots crazy. If he continues to play this well there is no way Byun doesn't make ro4/finals of GSL or SSL. The only way he gets eliminated early is if he has to play a Protoss since PvT is silly right now until adept/prism gets patched.

Sign in to follow this