GavinTheAlmighty

The game name claim to fame, or "How I learned to stop worrying and love Gratuitous Space Battles"

I find myself to be quite fascinated by the titles of games.  Regardless of their actual quality as games, what are some of your favourite titles for games that roll off the tongue nicely, or are just plain fun to say?

Conversely, what are some games with absolutely terrible titles?

I'll start, on the positive side!

Grim Fandango

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Axiom Verge

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Gratuitous Space Battles

Guacamelee

Day of the Tentacle

I'm not sure which category it belongs in, but I have to give special mention to the title whose developers were just screwing with people: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity. When it came out, there were several sites whose formatting was clearly not prepared for a sixty character title, which I got far too much enjoyment from.

For worst title, I'd like to nominate Horizon Zero Dawn. Ugh. It's a beautiful-looking game about hunting robot dinosaurs in a post-civilization world, and I've heard from multiple people who reflexively dismissed the game having heard the name and assumed that it was another greybrown cover-shooter.

I'll also put forth Dwarf Fortress, which has the four-part title of "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress".

I've always enjoyed the near nonsensical nature of Demon's Souls

Hatoful Boyfriend is probably my favorite name from recent memory though.

Good titles:

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

Time Gentlemen, Please!

Defence of the Ancients :P

Can I ask some questions about titles?

Do you prefer a title that indulges in the games lore and themes, or a title that sways towards a more literal description of the game?

Are there titles which have actually swayed you to research, download, or purchase a game? Are there titles that have actively turned you away from a game?

Do you like when titles are representative of a games lineage (i.e Demons/Dark souls, System/Bio shock)? Do those lineage titles make you more critical or more receptive to the successor?

Can I ask some questions about titles?

Do you prefer a title that indulges in the games lore and themes, or a title that sways towards a more literal description of the game?

Are there titles which have actually swayed you to research, download, or purchase a game? Are there titles that have actively turned you away from a game?

Do you like when titles are representative of a games lineage (i.e Demons/Dark souls, System/Bio shock)? Do those lineage titles make you more critical or more receptive to the successor?

Lore and themes definitely. Getting the right feel to the game in word choice and the sound of those words tells me more about the game than a few literal words, and can often make me wonder a little more about what they do mean, in a way that a literal title doesn't.

else Heart.Break() is a fun game (that I ought to get back to) but it's title is oof. It sounds like it's asserting that it'll bring you to tears, while simultaneously trying to appeal to brogrammers. That's not the actual vibe I get from the game, but the title does. The same rule of not trying to describe your game as "amazing" or "heartbreaking" applies to the title.

(I'll refrain from answering the third cause I'm generally averse to sequels so I think my answer would be atypical)

Lore and themes definitely. Getting the right feel to the game in word choice and the sound of those words tells me more about the game than a few literal words, and can often make me wonder a little more about what they do mean, in a way that a literal title doesn't.

I usually take the stance that a lore based name is easier to mess up than a more literal one, but this comes from my work naming mobile games, where your "organic" is based on an app icon and game title. Your title is really the only spot to let people know what the mechanics are!

Looking through my steam games though, I would agree, lore names are more preveleant and evoke fonder memories. There's honestly not a lot of literal titles in my steam library. 

I kind of love when iterative sequels just keep affixing new shit to the end of the previous release's title.

"Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R" might be my favorite example of it.

Mass Effect

VVVVVV

Torchlight

Atom Zombie Smasher

Quadrilateral Cowboy

Cook, Serve, Delicious!

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Also, I haven't played either -- which I should correct -- but I enjoy that the sequel to Digital: A Love Story is called Analogue: A Hate Story.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a great name for a game.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a godawful name for a game.

Also, I haven't played either -- which I should correct -- but I enjoy that the sequel to Digital: A Love Story is called Analogue: A Hate Story.

I also love that it puns on "non-digital system" and "something related by comparison to something else," with multiple resonances within the game's writing. That's a pun that doesn't happen enough, I think.

Good titles:

Time Gentlemen, Please!

:tup:  (although also ;(  because that was the one Dan came up with while I came up with BTDT)

That one's also cool but I don't have it in my steam library

edit: I actually have it but I missed it

I like Ben There, Dan That more, FWIW!

EDIT: Wait is it possible to not have both? I thought they sold in a bundle haha.

One was free, and one was sold, but the download just automatically included the free one?  I think.  I bought them directly from...ZombieCow (was that the old name?) before they ever came to Steam. 

I like Baldur's Gate best because of the bravery in naming a game after a gate, a gate you never see, and Baldur, a guy you never see. Even the city of Baldur's Gate the game and plot have very little to do with.  Sets up the way your character's personal story is almost irrelevant compared to the general tone.  The sequels and expansions are disappointing in that sense; they actually relate to the plot.