Vulpes Absurda

RIP David Bowie

From his Facebook feed as confirmed by his son:

"January 10 2016 - David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."

I should be able to say something about how much he meant to me. I should want to talk about how him living as himself helped me to live as myself. I should talk about how much it meant having that kind of queer superstar in the world, about how powerful it was to have someone out there just being themselves, refusing to be pinned down as any one thing — no one gender, no one sexuality, no one career, no one identity. I should be able to talk about how it meant so much to see that you could be the kind of person that David Bowie was and still be loved.

I can’t talk about any of that right now. I can only listen to what he left us.

David Bowie was one of my heroes. He will be missed.

My Twitter feed, IRC channels, forums - more than any other person of celebrity, everything is filling up with absolute sadness over this. It legit hurts. And some people are having the same thought I did when hearing the news - David Bowie wasn't forever? The idea that he can die is just... it never crossed my mind, or those people I've seen express that thought. To me, I think it's that the dude was so capable of following the trend of music or shaping it himself that he was always fresh, always new, but always staying true to himself as an artist and performer. Nothing about him seemed to age.

We've had three musical deaths recently - Weiland, Lemmy, and Bowie - that make me figure that rock and roll, music itself, is just dying now.

Somehow his appearance on Extras is among the first things to come to my mind, because it's written to be so cruel and you can tell he's having so much fun with it. It's just... I don't know. This is probably the first celebrity death that hits me so hard. He was a great part of my growing up and discovering music to love.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a342bc7f6c/david-bowie-on-extras

I definitely felt like Bowie was forever, it just never occurred to me otherwise. This really does hurt.

Somehow his appearance on Extras is among the first things to come to my mind, because it's written to be so cruel and you can tell he's having so much fun with it. It's just... I don't know. This is probably the first celebrity death that hits me so hard. He was a great part of my growing up and discovering music to love.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a342bc7f6c/david-bowie-on-extras

I had never seen this before, thank you for sharing this. I love how much he's enjoying that scene.

I should be able to say something about how much he meant to me. I should want to talk about how him living as himself helped me to live as myself. I should talk about how much it meant having that kind of queer superstar in the world, about how powerful it was to have someone out there just being themselves, refusing to be pinned down as any one thing — no one gender, no one sexuality, no one career, no one identity. I should be able to talk about how it meant so much to see that you could be the kind of person that David Bowie was and still be loved.

I can’t talk about any of that right now. I can only listen to what he left us.

David Bowie was one of my heroes. He will be missed.

That is a great summation. It felt like David Bowie was whoever he wanted to be, not because of his fame but because of himself, and so anyone could be anything they wanted to be, too. It's trite, but What Would David Bowie Do often seemed like a good question to ask.

Man, I feel crushed overall. I was just listening to Low on the drive home tonight. Now that's a dead man's music and... Well, goodbye, Lady Stardust.

Well there he goes. One of the greatest modern legends. The only superstar worthy of the title.

I'd been idly thinking about when he'd die while waiting for the release of Blackstar. The song Dollar Days has been quietly haunting me for the past few days as well.

I just feel kind of deflated about it. He did so much and he showed so many people that they could just be themselves or be their inner weirdo. I will miss him. But I guess it feels natural.

Oh man, this is very sad to hear. I've been certainly aware of Bowie my whole life, from my dad's records, then Labyrinth, then Nomad Soul, and so on. I only recently started listening to his music for real, and now it'll be hard for a while to continue getting to know his new stuff. He definitely was someone to look up to and yes, Mangela put it well and I can't really add much right now.

Had put off listening to Blackstar, now it's even more poignant. Started crying halfway through Lazarus.

Like so many here i first heard him when raiding my parents record collection, He's one of those few people who seemed to have been around forever but had managed to somehow defying the natural order of things to remain relevant on his own terms.

Have been listening to R6 all morning, in bed, feeling very sad.

Powerful words, Mangela. I can't add anything to them, so here's a picture of my other half doing her best Bowie

jKcUDvz.jpg?2

This sucks, and I'm bummed I never got to see him perform. Was going to once but the show got cancelled :(

Absolutely weird, but somehow I'm emotionally completely undisturbed. I don't know how or why. Bowie has meant the world to me going on for a decade, getting me through some difficult transitions and troubles. He's been there, always. Perhaps it's because he was always rather inaccessible, that it doesn't feel like a huge change?

Either that or I'm currently in denial and I might crash when I randomly watch Blue Jean or something.

Osmosisch, I so agree with you posting that clip from Extras. Best part is that it's actually a fun song.