Sign in to follow this  
RedSwirl

Want suggestions for a strategy game when... idle?

I've been thinking about installing a turn-based strategy game on my new laptop to just have running in the background when doing other things or whenever I have five minutes to do a turn or two. I'm thinking a "one more turn" kind of thing I can have in a small window in a corner of my screen in the middle of other things. My first thought was Civ V in that low-end graphic mode but I'm open to other suggestions.

Currently in my Steam pile:

-Civ V

-X-Com UFO Defense

-X-Com Terror from the deep

-X-Com Apocalypse

-X-Com Interceptor

-X-Com Enforcer

-Wargame: AirLand Battle (is that turn-based?)

-Unity of Commmand

-DEFCON

-King's Bounty: Armored Princess

6th gen i5

8GB RAM

960m 4GB

Xcom: Enemy Within should play fine for you. I also love Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex for quick strategizing while I'm doing other stuff.

How powerful is your laptop?  You can't go wrong with Civ V if your computer can handle it.  On my older laptops it is too much of a hog.  

I'd nix Wargame because I personally hate playing RTS's on a laptop.

So I'd probably go with Unity of Command. 

Sports sims are my go-to for this, most notably Out of the Park Baseball or Franchise Hockey Manager.

Forgot about Frozen Synapse. I think I'm wavering between Civ and Unity. I guess I could just install them and see which one I gravitate more towards. When it comes out Disgaea PC might be another good choice. It sucks we don't have a PC version of Final Fantasy Tactics yet. That game Arcadian Atlas looks pretty cool, whenever it comes out.

Civ IV is also a very good game in its own right (especially when you consider the wonderful mods).

Xenonauts is a very good modern (more more faithful than XCOM) remake of X-COM.

Endless Space is a not too complicated space 4x that I quite like. It's not as flashy as Endless Legend, but has a tight rule set and shouldn't be too taxing for a laptop.

Conquest of Elysium is a little ugly, but it's a small rougelikelikelike strategy game crossover set in the Dominions Universe and is worth playing if you can get past the lo-fi graphics.

My pick-up/put-down at any moment game is Tales of Maj'Eyal, one of the most imaginative and fun roguelikes out there. Maybe not quite what was asked, but I find it's much easier to do intermittent gaming if I only need to consider tactics, not strategy.

There is a game from about 10 years ago called Silent Storm. It's a turn based tactical game (no really strategic layer) ah la XCOM set post WW2 with a Sci-if elements to it. Nothing too taxing, you can just play a mission and leave it. Available of steam for probably not a lot of money.

Worth a punt I reckon.

Silent Storm is absolutely amazing, plus the AI turns take forever so then you can go do something else. Good call.

Would suggest Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion in addition to some of the other options already listed.  Enough there to be interesting, but not so complex that you have to keep a bunch of stuff memorized to pick it back up.

Crusader Kings. Its not turn based, but if you set the speed slow enough...

Civ is good for that... but the odds are high you'll get sucked in.