Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Thumbs 243: Idle Thumbs Demo Disk Q1 2016

Idle Thumbs 243:

837__header.jpg

Idle Thumbs Demo Disk Q1 2016

The new year should be treated as a time of opportunity. A time to seek out fresh experiences, to get motivated to try some things you normally wouldn't. It's also a time to collapse in a tired heap and take a break to recharge. It is for both these reasons that we're bringing you an Idle Thumbs Network Sampler this week: You get a taste of the other great shows we host here at Idle Thumbs, and we get a quick breather to rest our weak old bones.

We'll be back next week with a full new episode!

Discussion by: Three Moves Ahead, Esports Today, Idle Weekend, Terminal7, Designer Notes, The Idle Book Club, Chris, Jake

What is the source of/who recorded the version of Auld Lang Syne that plays at the beginning and end of this? It seems so familiar but I can't place it.

Ha, I don't know if Remo's secret ubertroll identity will work out as well on Idle Book Club as it does on Idle Thumbs.  Chris is an expert at deploying subtle comments that send Jake on riffs or cause Nick to work himself up, but the Argobot can see these maneuvers coming (ex: CHRIS: "So, these law students..."), politely acknowledging the bait but not taking it.  She's too smart for you, Chris!

Ha, I don't know if Remo's secret ubertroll identity will work out as well on Idle Book Club as it does on Idle Thumbs. Chris is an expert at deploying subtle comments that send Jake on riffs or cause Nick to work himself up, but the Argobot can see these maneuvers coming (ex: CHRIS: "So, these law students..."), politely acknowledging the bait but not taking it. She's too smart for you, Chris!

I don't think I get enough credit for this on Idle Thumbs.

I appreciate that you used clips from other shows - there's a couple other podcasts I listen to that did something similar for the holidays but since they used clips from their own podcast, which I'm already listening to, it's just a retread of stuff I've already listened to. Here I got the unusual experience of listening to someone I've actually hung out with on a podcast (i.e. Terminal 7, which I don't normally listen to because I don't play Netrunner) - Zoe used to attend a boardgaming gathering I sometimes also played at, and I remember when she got the job as art director. Cool stuff. (Incidentally, she's the model for one of the Arkham Horror characters, the chef (also named Zoe).)

This was a really cool episode, since I hadn't heard most of those shows before (and, shamefully, have not dived into idle weekend yet, though I plan to have it in my regular rotation). I enjoyed all of the clips, except for the esports today one. I don't mean that in a disparaging way at all, I simply lacked the context to know what was being discussed, so I couldn't really follow it (I follow neither dota, esports, nor traditional sports and have no notion of how teams and drafting and those dynamics work, and don't know the names of any dota teams or personalities).

I particularly did enjoy the book club segment and will likely listen to the show, despite never reading any literature myself. I tend to use books as escapism, as entertainment, and literature often feels like work, so I gravitate to genre fiction. I do, however, very much enjoy listening to good discussion about it.

e: also can you say "neither... nor" with more than 2 things? For some reason that feels incorrect, but it seems like it works.

I think you can, the same way you can ask someone if they want either ketchup, mustard or pickles. But who knows! Language is fluid!

I think you can, the same way you can ask someone if they want either ketchup, mustard or pickles. But who knows! Language is fluid!

mustard and pickles for me

Does anyone else find it suspicious that during the week in which Chris would have been called to answer for his Star Wars spoiler he just so happens to be "too busy" to record a full episode? Seems like he's hoping we'll just forget that it ever happened and let it fall by the wayside, but I WON'T STAND FOR IT.

Does anyone else find it suspicious that during the week in which Chris would have been called to answer for his Star Wars spoiler he just so happens to be "too busy" to record a full episode? Seems like he's hoping we'll just forget that it ever happened and let it fall by the wayside, but I WON'T STAND FOR IT.

I found it really suspicious but there wasn't much time to get into it when recording the episode. Chris seemed really rushed? I was not on this week's upcoming thumbs but like you I am hopeful we get some answers.

Perhaps a moment of silence would be appropriate next episode in memory of those of us who did not survive the Great Star Wars Spoilering of '15.