SuperBiasedMan

Idle Cook Club - Veggie Feeds-me: My Body Is Ready

In Ireland I think that might just be McDonalds?

I encourage people to not be stuck by the rules because of circumstance. Take the theme and use it to motivate you for something new/unusual. The main idea (as I understand it) is to take food that's low-quality/unhealthy/mass produced, and make your own single dish where you try to make it a good healthy meal for yourself. A cheap shitty chinese dish makes sense for that.

Bear in mind that for me and dibs Taco Bell doesn't exist here, and other people might have less chains in their country.

I do think that fast food is a pretty uniquely American invention in that it's mass produced, mostly pre-prepared & essentially only reheated & assembled by restaurant workers. That's the only way it can be made fast enough to be sold via drive thru. Obviously those places now exist elsewhere.

I think other places have things like street food that fill the space that fast food occupies for the majority of America.

SOn't worry everyone, i'm doing taco fries next, and i don't think anyone will worry about providence.

5zeedi.jpg

Drive-thrus are pretty ubiquitous. The local McDonalds to me in Manchester had a Drive-thru. The local McDonalds in Ulm has a Drive-Thru. 

I think the key to fast food is that it has to be from a franchised outlet. 

I forgot to document it, but I ended up making egg-in-a-hole tonight. With some barbecue ketchup and cucumber slices, it was a quick and easy snacktime. :tup:

I made an avocado halloumi burger with pesto, tomato salsa and devil's jam. Tasted great!

halloumger1.jpg

halloumger2.jpg

I made taco fries (see above for in the wild picture).

Homemade spicy oven wedges with a yoghur sauce, very spicy chilli mince and lots of cheese.

y8Lqlae.jpg

I also made papusas from my recently aquired masa harina. They were delicious. 2 were a bean mix i made up, and 1 was stuffed with cheese and corriander leaf. The texture was a little werid and i think i made them a bit thick though. Also, the masa flour was really easy and clean to work with, which was great! With that i had the quick cabbage pickle that seems mandatory. That stuff is really, really great and works brilliant with the sweet corn flavour. (I'm making it during the week again, and have some for lunch with chilli tomorrow.

jPQ114H.jpg

I made a vegetarian egg mcmuffin including making the english muffins from scratch. It turned out pretty well aside from veggie bacon being a lot trickier to cook than regular bacon. My first attempt ended up a little to hard, hopefully the next one turned out well.

Xl1mQea.jpg

AB4P82i.jpg

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/no-knead-english-muffins-recipe.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/homemade-egg-mcmuffin-mcdonalds-recipe.html

Yes, I was planning to message you tonight about that.

Have a big of at think to prepare for your post. Let me know if you have any questions but otherwise you can post when you're ready on Friday.

My turn to pick the theme believe.

I'm choosing One Pot. Anything where you chuck a load of stuff in One Pot. Curries,Stew, soup, chili anything you can think of.

I'm probably going to go with a massive hot chili. Hopefully this theme is broad enough for people to do some nice, different stuff.

awwwww yes. i had planned on going back and making japanese style curry again soon anyway, but this is my chance!!!

So I inadvertently fulfilled the cooking club challenge so I am posting here and will be keeping up on the thread more now!

This is one-wok beef stir fry, definitely not according to any recipe and definitely not authentic in the slightest but still very tasty. 

Ingredients: cheap chuck steak cut into strips, zucchini, carrots, onions, broccoli. I marinated the chuck steak over night in teriyaki marinade with soy sauce, sri racha, ginger, garlic and granulated onion. I made sure to fry the aromatics (garlic/onions) first, then in went the meat, added additional sri racha, soy, ginger. Then carrots/zucchini, then broccoli at the end since it was a frozen bag and I had steamed it in the microwave. Then I added some flour to thicken the sauce a bit in the final product. Poured this over fluffy rice from the rice maker. 

2016-06-27-18-16-52_720.jpg

2016-06-27-18-17-04_720.jpg

I'm not posting one-pot stuff because that's pretty much how I cook 90% of the time. All I can say is that throwing chopped pickles into a stew makes it amazing.

I keep forgetting to take pixx. I made risotto and a biriyani and they were both great!

Same! I made an overboiled pasta dish and a very adequately boiled curry. I'll get pics of my curry when I eat leftovers this evening. Might make a stir fry as well before the week is out.

Finally posting another pic! I made a nice lentil coconut curry. The ingredients were pretty simple, sweet potato, carrots and onions for veg. Lentils, curry spices, stock and coconut milk for the sauce. All in one pot, obviously. But the sauce actually came together really well. It already smelled good in the pot but it had a great consistency when it was done. Usually the consistency is what I screw up so I was quite pleased with that.

post-34425-0-76326400-1467972412_thumb.jpg

I did curry too but a bit more watery 

onions, garlic, fresh ginger, carrot for veg

pork bits for meat

coconut milk and spices

it looks like crap but it tastes good, altho this one was a tad bland for my liking since the gf doesn't do spicy

post-34564-0-13199400-1468003197_thumb.jpg

post-34564-0-34171900-1468003237_thumb.jpg