SuperBiasedMan

Idle Cook Club - Veggie Feeds-me: My Body Is Ready

Here's my burger attempt, made last week before I left town for a few days. The patties are a mixture of corn and beans, onions and herbs (thyme included for accuracy) and some breadcrumbs. The wrapping is a simple roll with pickles and apricot chutney, and a side of potato salad. I don't think I got the consistency quite right though. First I fried some of the mixture in a pan, but the breadcrumbs quickly started to soak the oil and left me with a weird sludge and some undercooked burgers. The next day I formed the rest of the mixture into patties and baked them in the oven instead. Perhaps that's a bit of an easy way out, but in my case it provided much better results.

The burgers I made the first night

post-34729-0-09970600-1461604262_thumb.jpg

i guess it's my turn to pick. Fancy Dags, meat (or vegetarian alternative) in a tube.  Sausages and/or hot dogs. << obligatory sex joke >> 

Here are some ideas!

http://www.foodbeast.com/news/hotdog-style/

sausage stroganoff: 

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/4398607/7-3/img_8042_54244a6cddf2b37dbc84fbd1.jpg

currywurst: 

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/dru-pic/0386.jpg

etc.

and "breakfast sausage" is gross, people, keep that in mind.  

My first foray into using veggie sausages (All I could find was vegetarian breakfast sausage WTF Lunds/Whole Foods?)

I used to make this when I still ate meat and it was always super good: https://food52.com/recipes/31903-roasted-sausage-tomatoes-and-peppers

This time I added pearl onions which I think go with it quite well.

The 'sausages' are definitely the weakest part, but overall still super tasty. If I can find some good veggie sausages this will be an easy goto. (Note: I baked it in two dishes initially then combined them for the picture. You don't want to layer it at all, especially if using meat sausages since they may not cook all the way through if you do.)

Lf8BXy1.jpg

Breakfast sausage is delicious.

I have consumed some sausages in homage to this challenge this week, but nothing was particularly photogenic enough to be announced as my contribution.

Behold, Sucks2Bme's sausage rolls! 

Ingredients: 

1 beef hotdog (cooked)

Mashed Potatoes 

Shrimp Salad

Tortilla

Shrimp Salad Includes:

Shrimp

a little bit of Mayo

a little bit of yellow mustard

finely chopped yellow onion

finely chopped radishes

dill

Came out pretty good but I am shit at rolling tortillas and the ones i got were a bit too small. Originally, you are supposed to use Swedish flatbread, but I am not going out to IKEA any time soon. 

Also, i got the shrimp frozen and they weren't the best quality. Not bad, but some of the shrimpy flavour had been lost. Anyway, still good, would have been better with actual tunnbröd though. 

There are two pictures, one pre-rolled and one of post-roll. 

Also, I apologize for the crap pictures, I am in the middle of moving house and everything here is an absolute mess.

post-34564-0-92510000-1464265870_thumb.jpg

post-34564-0-91725400-1464265876_thumb.jpg

I'm awful, I never posted about extending the deadline.

With wizard jam and possible clubbing fatigue I'm declaring an extended period. Take more time to make a sausage dish, or go back to one you missed and never got to do. This is a free period for the club, I encourage you to make something slightly less constrained than normal. We'll be back with a new theme in a couple weeks.

I'm awful, I never posted about extending the deadline.

With wizard jam and possible clubbing fatigue I'm declaring an extended period. Take more time to make a sausage dish, or go back to one you missed and never got to do. This is a free period for the club, I encourage you to make something slightly less constrained than normal. We'll be back with a new theme in a couple weeks.

For the free period, I decided to make a jambalaya sort of dish:

jambalaya_1.jpg

jambalaya_2.jpg

jambalaya_3.jpg

jambalaya_4.jpg

jambalaya_5.jpg

Free period I made pizzas again because why not I also forgot to take pictures, trust me when I say they looked delicious though. Spinach, ricotta, caramelised red onion. Good shit.

nice jambalaya thing! and it's close to sausage so i am counting it. eventhough it's a free period. Paella/Jamablaya-like things is one of my go-tos. 

here was my packed lunch from a month ago. it's a pain the butt to attach pictures from my phone to the forums so I kept forgetting to do it.
I took a pita round, cut it in half, stuffed it with lunch meat (roast turkey), lettuce, crumbled bacon, & shredded cheese.
The grocery store has a precut berry mix and a fruit dip that is just cream cheese, whipped cream & sugar mixed together and took that, and I had a tillamook greek yogurt.

We eat a lot of sausages normally, so I haven't really added pictures. I think I'm going to try and get Cory to make pigs in a blanket for the sausage assignment :3 

post-34173-0-70255800-1464977670_thumb.jpg

Hey, I finally remembered to post something! We decided to do hot pot last night, which is I guess a debatable amount of cooking, but whatever.

The overall spread:

post-5965-0-87180200-1465415770_thumb.jp

And a closeup of the veggies for the curious. There's potato, kabocha squash, bamboo shoot, lotus root (frozen, we had some left over from last time), enoki mushrooms, maitake mushrooms, fried tofu skins, and napa cabbage (not actually in this picture):

post-5965-0-09976700-1465415770_thumb.jp

And the condiment lineup. My personal mix is hoi sin sauce, soy sauce, garlic, sambal, and vinegar. The silver can is some sort of shrimp paste, which I can't eat.

post-5965-0-66027700-1465415983_thumb.jp

Hey y'all! I've essentially vanished off the forums because I live in the Slack now, but sbm has convinced me to get off my rump and post an idea.

I think it would be a lot of fun to do "healthy" versions of popular fast food meals. That's a fairly open-ended concept, so there's something for everyone here. To pare it down a bit, I'm thinking of just doing the Big 4: McDonald's, Taco Bell, KFC, and Subway. I want to leave the recipes fairly open for interpretation, but let's say the core idea is to stay the same. If you're gonna make a sweet onion chicken teriyaki, those ingredients still have to factor in, but you're welcome to change up spices (and pare down the lettuce).

Sounds like a good idea.

I ACTUALLY HAVE ACCESS TO A KITCHEN NOW. I must actually take part in this now. I'll make my interpretation of a big mac this weekend. 

This one might be tricky for me, not a lot of fast food is vegetarian. Perhaps some sort of breakfast item.

This one might be tricky for me, not a lot of fast food is vegetarian. Perhaps some sort of breakfast item.

My intention is just to replicate it without the meat. Like a Big Mac Bean Burger.... or something more appealing.

I didn't even consider breakfast food. A sausage an egg mcmuffin sounds awesome. I have to rethink my idea...

Ok, i just read that it was healthy fast food, i thought it was fancy fast food. hahaha.

Here is my take on one of my former favourtie takeaway staples, chicken satay skewers with fried rice:

Pork Skewers with coconut peanut sauce, boiled rice and a quick cabbage pickle.

2GpRAKD.jpg

And bonus packed lunch from it.

qasQoVx.jpg

I'm with Badfinger on this one. Chicken satay is not fast food. Looks delicious though :)

I think your establishment needs to have a drive thru to count as fast food.

I think your establishment needs to have a drive thru to count as fast food.

Er, so only US things allowed?