SuperBiasedMan

Idle Cook Club - Veggie Feeds-me: My Body Is Ready

Finally, I am so behind! So I really wanted to make that delicious looking cast iron crust but apparently me and 24 hour preparation do not mix. I took the low road and made calzones. I make them all the time and they're pretty good. Usually I just follow the crust recipe that came with my mixer book, but I found I accidentally bought pizza instant yeast and I was all like oh this is lucky. No it wasn't. The texture of the dough was terrible. Plus I am trying a new sauce which is watery and it doesn't work as pizzy sauce. all in all I am very jealous of all of the delicious looking pizza on here. (inside I did standard veggies and cheddar, I don't like mozzarella or ricotta)

H8YJGiV.jpg?1

My ramen dish, on the other hand, was a great success. I just happened on this ramen video the other day and decided to try it, I didn't know we switched to ramen or I would have photographed.

Here was the video: 

This is really good because there are a lot of different flavors. First you mash up some seaseme seeds and mix it with soy sauce and sugar (and sesame oil which I didn't add) and that goes directly in the soup, so that was one really interesting flavor. Another is you boil ginger and garlic with your broth (and you are supposed to strain it out but I didn't) so it has a really nice ginger flavor. Then there is the miso flavor. So all in all they worked really well together. I sauteed up carrots, portabello mushroom, squash and onions and put on top with a lot of green onions and a boiled egg. 

The downside was it was salty. Next time I will half the amount of miso.

I'ma make some laksa tomorrow and i am excited as i never make this sort of soup! Ramen wouldn't quite work out for me!

And here is my attempt at laksa. It was really really good, one of the best new dishes i've made in ages. Probs not at all authentic, but i can live with that!  I used a premade good quality yellow thai curry paste as my flavour base.

xQvwAx2.jpg

Watching Ramen Girl and a few other actual documentaries from Japan, the making of ramen broth seems like it can be a really ritualistic process. I might take a shot at making broth this weekend, then have the actual ramen on Monday or Tuesday. I'm going to do my best to not just throw in miso paste, but actually try to build broth from components myself. We'll see how it goes.

Edit: I found this that I'm going to use as a base if you're interested in more technical cooking. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html

Since we made ramen for the (green) bean challenge, Cory made us chow mein last night with ramen noodles and it was delicious. He's cooked for long enough that he doesn't really use recipes for stuff like this. We got some chicken thighs, marinated them in a sauce we got from costco (it's basically just sugar and soy sauce) then cooked them with onions, green peppers, bok choy. He used more soy sauce and some sesame oil to make the sauce, boiled some ramen and added it to the pan at the end. it was very good, but I am a very bad food photographer.

Tried my hand at this. Looked at a bunch of recipes, but they all used ingredients I didn't have time to find (really busy weeks.)

Came out pretty good actually. Singlespace pointed out I overcooked the eggs for ramen, which should be gelatinous. Must have missed this. The stock/soup was chicken+soy sauce base with a little bit of chili paste thrown in. 

It was tasty, but had a bit too much salt/soy sauce. 

post-34564-0-83912400-1458818325_thumb.jpg

In ireland, shepherds pie is made with beef mince for whatever reason!

Also, for those who want to geek out and not eat meat, there is a recipe for vegetarian shepherds pie in Scott Pilgrim (Vol II i think).

Tried my hand at this. Looked at a bunch of recipes, but they all used ingredients I didn't have time to find (really busy weeks.)

Came out pretty good actually. Singlespace pointed out I overcooked the eggs for ramen, which should be gelatinous. Must have missed this. The stock/soup was chicken+soy sauce base with a little bit of chili paste thrown in. 

Wow that looks pretty!

In ireland, shepherds pie is made with beef mince for whatever reason!

Also, for those who want to geek out and not eat meat, there is a recipe for vegetarian shepherds pie in Scott Pilgrim (Vol II i think).

Weird, I think that is normally known as a cottage pie (my kiwi wife really likes to lecture me on that point). ! I am actually going to participate in this cooking club exercise

That looks amazing! I'm really excited by everyone's presentation. If you enjoyed the eggs, they were not overcooked.

A series of events have kept me from actually cooking the dish I suggested. We have already planned to make up for it this weekend, so it's coming!

Isn't the only difference between cottage pie and shepherd's pie that you make a cute little thatched roof pattern on top of cottage pie???

One is lamb mince (Shepherd's Pie), the other is beef I believe.

I didn't know that! The first 4 results I get for shepherd's pie have 3 using lamb and 1 using beef, with 1 of them SAYING beef in the description but lamb in the ingredients. Wikipedia suggests they are in fact exactly the same just with different names.

Fun.

I usually make it with beef, just because it tends to be cheaper than lamb. Vegetarian versions are great also though. Just a hearty meal all around.

For my pie, I basically cut a few corners following this recipe since I didn't quite have all the ingredients and shops were still closed. I didn't have a lot of potatoes left, so I added extra breadcrumbs and soy milk to make the topping more like a puree than a mash. Didn't look like I had enough to cover everything, but it spread out nicely in the oven and the crust turned out delicious. My filling was mainly lentils and corn, with onions, carrots, sundried tomatoes and garlic for taste. I used a little too much salt on top of some salty ingredients, so I was chugging a lot of water alongside it, but I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out.

Before putting it in the oven:

post-34729-0-69252100-1459191658_thumb.jpg

After putting it in the oven:

post-34729-0-54655000-1459191665_thumb.jpg

Man, I made a killer shepherds/cottage pie last night, my wife gave me the 'Kiwi Seal of Approval'

I made the mash with Golden Yukon potatoes (skin on) with 7 or 8 cloves in the water while they were boiling as well, I mashed them with a bit of butter and heavy cream.

I threw a minced onion into my cast iron frying pan with a tiny bit of butter for color, once they browned a bit I dumped in some peas and carrots and gave them a little color.

I browned the beef in the cats iron pan as well, once browned I threw in some flour, some cornstarch, a bit of red wine, some beef stock, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce in with it to make a gravy.

I combined the beef and vegetable in a casserole dish and topped with potato and baked for 20 minutes or so.

I wish I had drained the brown beef a little bit better as my beef did come out a little greasy, I also wish I had added chicken stock instead of beef stock because the beef gravy could have used a "brighter flavor" or some acid maybe? I donno.

Sorry everyone, we finally got the time to make the ramen! I feel guilty for not posting inside my own time window. It was super fun and good, I'll post pictures probably tonight.

I guess I'm late on this, but I made some ramen earlier this week, and I thought it turned out great. I was going for the tan tan style ramen with a really spicy broth, and ground pork. I'm also stoked on my soy marinated eggs which is my favorite part of eating ramen.

Ce6fU_FUIAA3E5M.jpg

All the ramens look great! And the pies too!

Here's my pie, made it last week but taking my sweet time to post it. Followed this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9644/nofuss-shepherds-pie

but used beef instead of lamb as it was cheaper and easier to find. The "filling" was a little watery, I think I didn't measure the broth completely and added too much but it was still delish. 

post-34564-0-85496600-1459753109_thumb.jpg

post-34564-0-09141500-1459753150_thumb.jpg