SuperBiasedMan

Idle Cook Club - Veggie Feeds-me: My Body Is Ready

Thanks guys! I was really happy with the results.

I have made stuffed peppers a couple of times and ended up with them half-filled with fluid. Next time I will try to remember to preheat and empty them before stuffing them.

Back to the unrealised potential of the beans, i made hummus at last! (with lamb, maize couscous with veg and some salad.)

It was good, but a little bitter. Maybe too much lemon. I'll probs season it more with garlic and salt and do less lemon next time.

WtfbFCj.jpg

Oh, i didn't realise we had moved into pizza fortnight. I'll probs sit this one out due to glutens:(

I'll poke around and see if i can find anything pizzalike though, just in case.

Oh, i didn't realise we had moved into pizza fortnight. I'll probs sit this one out due to glutens:(

I'll poke around and see if i can find anything pizzalike though, just in case.

I know GF pizza dough exists, not sure if its any good.

pepper juice oil?

Looks tasty!

Well after I'd roasted them with olive oil and taken the skins off there was loads of juices left in the bowl. So I just drizzled some on, quite nice.

Pizzas!!!! I used this J. Kenji Lopez-Alt recipe that I thought was really good. I like a nice thick crust pan pizza and this really delivered. Plus it actually was pretty easy. The only alteration I made was adding some King Arthur Flour pizza dough flavoring. The front is pepperoni and the back is BBQ chicken.

Before

R7AEiJJ.jpg?1

After

4GPJSh4.jpg?1

I tried making gf flatbreads last night....Not a success^^ Maybe later in the week again.

post-24580-0-89192900-1457371620_thumb.jpeg

Here's my pizza

this use a Hugh Fernley Whittingstall dough which was basically 50/50 plain/strong flour.

Sauce was plum tomatoes chopped up with some thyme and tomato paste

Topping was mainly mozzarella with some cheddar on top to add some extra flavour and produce that nicely golden texture

Green olives, pepper, artichokes, mushrooms, red onion, jalapenos and thinly sliced courgette plus some chilli flakes.

Overall it waasn't a hugely adventurous version of pizza but I'm pretty happy with the taste

Here are my 2 attempts, form the seriouseats recipe that cordeos posted. Did it twice because the recipe said to cook it for 12-15 minutes but after 5 it was already getting burned. 

good stuff! 

post-34564-0-44247500-1457548433.jpg

post-34564-0-80909500-1457548450_thumb.jpg

This took a lot of time but was also really fun. A great opportunity to try something I always wanted to make myself.

My dough was based on this recipe, but maybe I shouldn't have followed it so closely cause I have a ton of leftover dough now. Guess I'm making pizza again this week. For sauce I just made what I usually serve with pasta: fresh tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar. I didn't plan on storing the fresh yeast I bought, so I ended up using most of it, a lot more than the recipe asked for and consequently the dough ended up rising to about 2-3cm in height in the finished product. I actually really liked that though, it's a nicer balance than huge toppings with nothing to support them (the direction most take-out pizza seems to go) and allowed the dough to be both crispy and chewy.

Pictures!

Sauce:

post-34729-0-29108900-1457550883_thumb.jpg

Dough (before resting, after which it almost filled that bowl):

post-34729-0-83154000-1457550895_thumb.jpg

Rolled out tough (accidental egg shape for the Easter season):

post-34729-0-58492500-1457550910_thumb.jpg

With toppings (before baking):

post-34729-0-82392900-1457550924_thumb.jpg

The (partially eaten) result:

post-34729-0-39487600-1457550935_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone! It looks like it's time for me to pick a theme.

Our new theme dish is going to be...

RAMEN!

jdKFXzl.jpg

We became interested and excited to try to make ramen, and it's something I occasionally crave but there just aren't any ramen places around where I live. We haven't even picked a recipe, and I've literally never made ramen besides what comes in the packet. We're just diving in!

If you can't find any ramen recipes that appeal to you or aren't interested, then the broad swath of Asian noodle dishes is available as well. Your pho's, your pads thai, your soba, egg, and rice noodles.

I'm excited!

Sweet, I've never actually found out the proper definition of Ramen so this should be fun!

Quick note, I was late about getting a theme picked (hence the theme is picked today, not yesterday). But the two weeks will still run from today rather than yesterday, so everyone gets a full fortnight. That means Ramen runs til the 25th (as the first post now says).

Also I shall post my apple pizza this weekend, just haven't been home much to post the pics.

Here are two guides with some ingredient ideas:

https://food52.com/blog/9793-ramen-the-ultimate-broke-food-and-how-to-make-it-at-home

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/quick-kimchi-ramen-shiitake-mushroom-egg-recipe.html

if you are only making one bowl I highly recommend poaching an egg in the ramen. I did this all the time in Korea it is super good!

Other ingredient ideas: Rice cakes and/or pot stickers/dumplings.

I made a pan pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, and garlic. A bit boring but really tasty.

pannupizza1.jpg

pannupizza2.jpg