SuperBiasedMan

Idle Cook Club - Veggie Feeds-me: My Body Is Ready

I got (very excited) a takeaway last night (chef's kid is coeliac so i trusted them) and i have lots of spicy rice left over, and some peppers for stuffing!

My question is: What can i put in the rice to add some interest. It is right now just basically delicious spicy rice, no veg or anything. i was thinking some chopped almonds for crunch and maybe some peas?  Maybe some chickpeas for protien?

Anyhow, i'm gonna make some yogurt sauce to go with and probs some rocket alongside.

my go-to stuffing for peppers along with rice is a combo of grated carrot, onion, bit o' ginger and some kurkuma.

Nomnomnom. I mixed up the rice with some toasted almonds, sugar snaps and some fresh ginger. Roasted it in my pepper and then ate with extreme prejiduice and gusto alongside some spicy yoghurt sauce and rocket (and leftover popadoms).

H4Vjlyn.jpg

Made this recipe here, its a friend's blog. Philly Cheese steak stuffed peppers

Didn't really like it. The cold crunchy peppers with the warm steak and onion felt really weird side by side. Also, i got the biggest peppers i could find and I like peppers but i don't love peppers. On the plus side, you could eat them like sandwhiches. Not how I normally do stuffed peppers, but the next day I chopped up the rest and made proper philly cheese

post-34564-0-71000900-1455530088_thumb.jpg

I can see how the crunchiness of the un(der)cooked pepper would be weird. Sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted sucks2Bme, but at least you got philly cheesesteaks out of it, and that's really the best outcome of just about anything.

Made this recipe here, its a friend's blog. Philly Cheese steak stuffed peppers

Didn't really like it. The cold crunchy peppers with the warm steak and onion felt really weird side by side. Also, i got the biggest peppers i could find and I like peppers but i don't love peppers. On the plus side, you could eat them like sandwhiches. Not how I normally do stuffed peppers, but the next day I chopped up the rest and made proper philly cheese

So did you not cook them at all? You could try doing this step from one of the recipes I use to cook them a bit:

"Preheat oven to 350F. Clean and prep bell peppers either by taking off the top or by halving them lengthwise. Place in baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water. Roast in oven until slightly wrinkly (~15 minutes or so). Once a little wrinkly, remove from oven and drain any water that may have accumulated in the peppers and the water from the pan."

https://food52.com/recipes/15233-stuffed-peppers-with-wild-rice-italian-sausage-caramelized-fennel

Yes, cheesesteaks are the best!

and yea I usually cook them Corderos, but I was trying to be a good boy and follow the recipe to a t, since i generally tend to wing it and use recipes as a "guide". When I do it though, i tend to boil them for a bit to soften them and then roast them. 

The new cooking challenge/goal/topic/whatever is PIZZA!

Idealy I want people making it all from scratch, so make your own dough and sauce. But if you dont feel up to it just make as much as you are comfortable with. 

I am going to be using this cast iron pan pizza recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

And this one for sauce: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Topping plans are currently Mozzarella, Basil and some tomato pieces. I will be making the dough and sauce tonight then cooking the pie tomorrow. 

Good night and good luck.

P.S. Calzones are acceptable. As are homemade bagel bites.

https://food52.com/blog/11242-pizza-bagels-are-back-for-lunch

The new cooking challenge/goal/topic/whatever is PIZZA!

Idealy I want people making it all from scratch, so make your own dough and sauce. But if you dont feel up to it just make as much as you are comfortable with. 

You're not the boss of me and you don't make the rules!

At the same time, you're not making your own cheese? Psh, what a rube!

krriF6l.jpg

This post is sponsored by the Razzing Cordeos Committee.

We happened to make pizza for Valentine's Day.

You're not the boss of me and you don't make the rules!

At the same time, you're not making your own cheese? Psh, what a rube!

krriF6l.jpg

This post is sponsored by the Razzing Cordeos Committee.

We happened to make pizza for Valentine's Day.

I have never made cheese before, something I will have to try some day. Good looking pizza BTW

I have never made cheese before, something I will have to try some day. Good looking pizza BTW

The whole wheat crust got a little blackened because we tried to cook both at once and so one was closer to the heat element. :(

Anyone who has interest in making cheese ever, I highly recommend this kit. It has enough ingredients to make 35-40 pounds of mozzarella cheese, and drop dead simple instructions. I have 80% of the kit left and already made a bunch. Whenever I mention it to people, they assume it takes hours to make cheese and it's like 45 minutes tops.

here are my stuffed peppers from this past Sunday!

post-34173-0-83017200-1456370983_thumb.jpgpost-34173-0-28298400-1456371010_thumb.jpgpost-34173-0-87891200-1456371026_thumb.jpg

They were good! Here's the recipe I used: http://www.food.com/recipe/ground-beef-stuffed-green-bell-peppers-with-cheese-1356

I did not pre-boil the peppers as I like a little crunch to my bell peppers. I also used some leftover cotija we had from making quesadillas and rather than cheddar. I cooked the rice in our rice cooker rather than try and boil it with the other stuff.

I also added a bunch of italian style seasonings to the meat, garlic powder, oregano, basil, thyme, otherwise this would have been very plain.

Making it in a cast iron pan really makes the crust easier I think. Give the recipe I posted a try, it was really easy. (I let the dough rest for ~24 hours and skipped the 2 hour waiting for it to spread and just spread it myself. Turned out just fine.)

This could technically be considered a late entry in the savory crêpes category, but I actually just want to share this because for once something I try in the kitchen actually turns out great. Sorry!

Thick Russian-style buckwheat blinis with salmon roe, sour cream, red onion, and pickled cucumber. I let the batter rise overnight, added the eggs, beer, butter, and the rest of the flour, then proceeded to make a complete mess of my kitchen.

blinit.jpg

That is too fancy for us folk here. :tup:

I also have late peppers to post. I stuffed and ate them on Tuesday but have been slow to get the photos off my phone.

post-34425-0-55713500-1456583300_thumb.jpg

They were real good. The peppers and the stuffing were great. The stuffing was basically quinoa, onion and tomato. Based on this recipe. Though to be honest it would've been perfectly nice as roasted peppers with the stuffing separate. I may have done it wrong, or maybe the stuffedness here is less worthwhile.

Definitely a fun one though, probably going to try another recipe when I can get some vegan pesto. It was the recipe I was originally planning to use until I realised I lacked any kind of hand mixer to make my pesto.

Now to ponder what pizza to make...