SuperBiasedMan

Idle Cook Club - Veggie Feeds-me: My Body Is Ready

OK, for my turn I am picking beans. Hope everyone likes them. I love beans, but I always cook them the same 2 ways, so I figured this would show me what is out in the world that I am missing.

Cm0nster's savory crepes tasted fine, but they were somehow lacking. I felt  that the sauce was much, much more mild than ranch-dressing (which is what I would prefer). I suspect that this dish would benefit from a nice cheese, but I'm not sure which one.

I doubt I'll make anything out of beans but if you like the look of prebranec but want something less tasty, try a mineštra/minestrone.

Woo. I'm mad into beans for the last while. For lunch I'll be having chilli bean soup so I'll post a pic!

Here are my pancakes, i mean crepes. 

As for the beans, do they have to be dry, or can we used canned? I only ask because I am horrible at cooking dry beans. No matter what I do (how long i soak them, boil them, cook them, voodoo them) they always seem too raw. 

but maybe now its my time to try to learn! (again)

post-34564-0-05316100-1453973866_thumb.jpg

Here are my pancakes, i mean crepes.

As for the beans, do they have to be dry, or can we used canned? I only ask because I am horrible at cooking dry beans. No matter what I do (how long i soak them, boil them, cook them, voodoo them) they always seem too raw.

but maybe now its my time to try to learn! (again)

I'm terrible at dry beans too, mine always come out too mushy. I am totally using canned.

I have bought dried beans in the past, but never acutally used them.

Chilli bean soup for lunch. Nomnomnom. I make batches of this and freeze them.

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

We had a hard time agreeing on a recipe for crepes that were specifically savory. We actually found the same recipe that Sucks2Bme used, but just couldn't get it together. The big weekend snowstorm when we would have gone out to make the recipe probably hindered as well.

I'm confident we can find a recipe that uses beans. It's probably chili time!

First one I'm kinda interested in participating in! I have just the recipe in mind, just need to get some ingredients. Fingers crossed that this post will actually motivate me to make this happen, unlike most ____ Club type things that I always aspire to but never actually join in on.

So this is really why I am glad I joined the food club, I am so sheltered I trick myself into thinking everyone is me. So we eat beans a minimum of 2 times a week, it's a staple, and I totally thought this was going on with everyone. Nope, now I found out people are kind of like _I ate beans once, it was all right_ which is not what I was expecting. So now I am wondering what people do eat. 
Meanwhile I am super excited about trying out that pasta with chickpea sauce. 

dibs: Can you put up the chili bean soup recipe?

One of the main ways I make beans is for tacos/ nachos. I use black beans and I saute onions and mushrooms. Add 2 cans of rinsed black beans, a carrot and a celery stick, some water, 2 cloves of garlic, some chili powder, cumin, basil, a quarter piece of veg. bullion cube, and a tablespoon of gochujang sauce (Korean hot pepper paste) and cook it not long because I like my vegetables not soft. It is really good with tacos and nachos. 
Recently I found out that I like raw Kale cut up for my taco green, it holds together better than other greens I find.

My chilli bean soup starts with a little chorizo gently frying in a large saucepan. Then i add lots of onion, carrot and celery (and bell pepper if i have any in my veg box) chopped and sweat them off for quite a while. Then i add lots of paprika, cumin and coriander (and a stock cube) and let that cook in for a few mins. That is followed by a few tins of beans (chickpea and kidney beans usually, but if i have other stuff i use that), a few tins of tomatoes, hot sauce and a little water to loosed it all up. Then i just cook till it is done!

It is really simple to make, but it is really delicious.

I dunno if lentils count, but i made a pretty amazing dal^^ Served with rice and yogurt (off camera).

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

Why wouldn't lentils count? I don't know why but I can't seem to see any of your photos.

So I made the chili bean soup, but with a few modifications.

I left out the sausage and added zucchini, acorn squash, corn, and kale.

Where i went wrong is I added too much water. Instead of adding at the end like dibs said, I just put it in in the beginning because I don't like to double cook my vegetables. This made me add way too much water. I think next time I will double cook (saute and boil)

It had good flavor though, and I made grandmas cornbread with it, so pretty good

skEm3VR.jpg?1

Does anyone have any experience with slow cookers? I'm looking to get one and don't know what's good.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread couldn't see a general cookery.

You looking for like a crock pot? You have some flexibility when it comes to features, like timers or locking lids, but I think on a fundamental level they all cook generally the same? (ceramic dish heated on all sides by electric heating elements.) maybe I'm totally wrong. We have a very basic one that has warm, low, high and off and that's it.

It can be nice to have the locking lid if you anticipate doing potluck style stuff where you cook it at home and share it.