Sign in to follow this  
Soren Johnson

Designer Notes 14: Mark Herman

In this episode, Bruce Geryk interviews veteran wargame designer Mark Herman, former CEO of Victory Games and best known for pioneering card-driven wargames with We The People. They discuss designing games for less than $100 per week, why he couldn't release a game because Saddam Hussein might play it, and how Magic the Gathering helped him create a new genre.

Games Discussed: Chess, Battle of the Bulge, October War, The Next War, MechWar 2, Gulf Strike, Desert Shield, We The People, For The People, Empire of the Sun, Churchill

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/mark-herman

I don't know of a 20/20 trample creature but waaaay back when I used to play in the 90's there was a creature called the Force of Nature that was 8/8 trample, I wonder if that was it.

Mygaffer, you just listened to the teaser! :) In the interview Mark explains that this was a game to test a new deck and that Richard Garfield's cards consisted of blank cards with things written directly in them. So it wasn't a standard card that was a 20/20 Trample, it was some experimental card Richard Garfield made.

Ok, no more spoilers from me! ;)

(I haven't listened to the episode yet but) I believe the biggest real trample card is Kraken, which was 11/11 but ate land.

Curious if anyone can point to any Designer Notes or 3ma episodes that touch on Dr. Geryk himself - seems like he does a good job cultivating enjoyment of his hobby in his local area as well as online through podcasting. It is always interesting to hear from people who are enthusiastic about something, have the resources to fully experience it and can explain all that articulately.

Okay, I've finally listened to this episode and really enjoyed it. Mark has an approach to games that's getting harder to find. I am sure his class on business and wargaming is fascinating. I took a marketing strategy class as an undergrad that had us compete in a simulated market that was instructive for me, but I was able to figure out the math behind it and it was almost simple enough to be model-able as a board game. I can see the potential. 

I did tend to get a bit lost on some of Mark's tangents; he's a talker. But quantity has a quality of its own, in this case.

Also, since posting my comment above I've figured out that you have a site and video channel, Bruce, and I've a lot more context for the panel members and guests on Designer Notes, 3ma, Game Design Roundtable, etc.