Sign in to follow this  
Guts

Twin Peaks 2017 Anticipation & Speculation

So I just wanted to a place to throw around some guesses and theories about season 3. We can look at the strings left behind and follow their imagined course through time. Where are all these characters now? Who is dead, and who wishes that they were?

We will of course find out the established version of these events but we now exist in a time in which we can listen to our logs and dream of twin peaks as it might be. Will David and Mark share our dreams or will they choose a different path? The only ones who know are the gifted and the damned.

Did the ghost wood development continue? Is the door to the black lodge now in someones closet? Is Audrey running the town, or is she hiding away wearing a mask to cover her scars? Did Leo recover from his likely spider bites, did Shelly legally divorce him and marry bobby? Is Norma still running the RR? Is Sheriff Truman still sad about Josie or did he move on? Is Phillip Gerard running a health food store, or is he still selling shoes? What on earth did Andy's and Lucy's kid turn out to be? Maybe he works in men's fashion.

Then there is poor Dale Cooper, I hardly think the show will want to abandon "Classic Dale" but they have to resolve the past without it feeling like the ending didn't matter. What can they do? I feel like they should bring in dale, then slowly drip out the back story. I don't want a big this is what happened episode at the beginning of the new season. They need a new story, a new plot to hang all these old strings on to. Anyway look forward to hearing different theories. 

I'm really hesitant to make any predictions, but I do think that we won't see the town of Twin Peaks until some ways into the first episode, maybe even the very end (or hell, maybe not even until a subsequent episode though I doubt they'll take it that far). Mark Frost has said some ambiguous things suggesting that might be the case and it would certainly be classic David Lynch to hold back on our expectations like that.

I also think Frost's book "The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks" (which was going to come out in a few months, but has probably been postponed to next year as the show itself has been pushed back) will cover most of these plot/character-oriented questions and the show will have its sights set elsewhere. Sherilyn Fenn seems to be very upset on Twitter that she hasn't been contacted yet (at least as of a few weeks ago) but I imagine she and the other originals will play a part though I'm not sure how big it will be. I really think the new series is going to surprise us. When the news was first announced I was expecting an extreme Inland Empire-type project only tangentially connected to the original show (and naturally, I wondered how the hell Showtime got onboard for this) but over time I've stepped back from that conclusion and I think we'll be seeing a purposefully more restrained Lynch than we've seen in a while. Though I also think parts of it will be more avant-garde than anything he's ever done.

Honestly, my ideal would be something that runs the entire spectrum from The Straight Story to Inland Empire, the perfect capstone for Lynch's surprisingly diverse career.

Teaser trailer just got

. Can't tell if the trailer is evoking a behind the scenes look with a Michael Horse, or if it is meant to be Hawk spouting some Native American "lore" about what a place embodies. The creepy cut, I imagine is supposed to be Ray Wise. But I guess it could potentially be the Tremond boy (no longer a boy)?

Wild speculation away!

Consensus among my friends is that is Lynch taking a selfie towards the end...  the question is - with the suit and tie, ID badge (or hearing aid?), and relatively tame hairstyle - is he in costume as Gordon?

post-34995-0-68385800-1450534215_thumb.gif

Though Michael Horse doesn't appear to be in costume - I've seen other interviews and he seems to be fond of denim shirts - he does look like he's at the old sawmill site north of Snoqualmie, which is also the filming location for the Sheriff's station in the series.  

Man how did I blank on Gordon? I don't think I'd ever consider him to be part of the creepy part of Twin Peaks. Just the swirling absurdity outside of it. It definitely does look like him.

I actually thought pretty instantly (and certainly) that it was Ray Wise, or a greyed Kyle MachLachlan.

Ray-Wise-Twin-Peaks.jpg

I just don't think it makes sense for it to be Cole. He's a minor character in the original series, the effect is meant to make it look creepy and mysterious imo, and it just makes more sense to be a villain rather than Cole.

It might be Lynch and also be totally meaningless. This preview clip felt like they put it together with what they had laying around. It's a bizarre blend between behind the scenes and an actual teaser, plus the striving effects on that final blurred shot seem completely tossed in and not deliberate, like someone said "oh this might seem Twin Peaksy," put it in, and then the video went out.

Consensus among my friends is that is Lynch taking a selfie towards the end...  the question is - with the suit and tie, ID badge (or hearing aid?), and relatively tame hairstyle - is he in costume as Gordon?

attachicon.gifGordon.gif

I agree completely. I don't think the significance of it is that it's Gordon Cole, I think the significance is that it's Lynch. Especially as this is already set up as a behind-the-scenes promo. (Never thought about it being a selfie, but that makes perfect sense really - Lynch enjoys participating in pop culture stuff like that; see his bizarre Ice Bucket Challenge last summer where he called out Vladimir Putin. Also works as a "signature" at the end.)

Just to bump this thread, there was an announcement of all(?) cast members for the entire upcoming season of Twin Peaks!

The Brad Dukes Show podcast discussed this news with Jerry from Twin Peaks Archive.  What I didn't know is that a lot of filming has been done for the show in locations far beyond the Pacific Northwest.  They speculate that this means that up to half the show might take place outside of Twin Peaks, which sounds odd to me.  Maybe these far-off places are more for dream locations?

This is all fun news to release because while it suggests some characters are out of the running, it actually makes the show even more puzzling than when we knew nothing.

The biggest thing I took away from that video was realizing how different cars look today vs. 25 years ago.

Some new video content. Oh boy, do the people in this clip wear the strain of Twin Peaks on them. Andy looks an empty husk of a human in that shot. And I hadn't expected Carl to appear in the new series (I also had to google the character name).

Side note: How does everyone feel about the marketing done by Showtime in the lead up to the premiere? It feels so devoid of what Twin Peaks is.

The marketing feels very "this is what comes after Fire Walk With Me" to me. It's all very ambiently creepy and intense. That doesn't feel "devoid of what Twin Peaks is" to me exactly, but it feels like its focused in on a very small pinprick of what Twin Peaks is. I'm finding it a little bit refreshing personally, that its just showing us moody shots of locations and faces, focusing on the place and the people, after reading Mark Frost's book which was a goofy goofy goofy pan-continental conspiracy that echoed some of the overreaching silliness of season two.

I'm hoping the show has a wider tonal breadth than these trailers are showing, but I also hope the show has more focus, and is about something more grounded in a simple place and in real people's issues than the book is.

Hey I just recently discovered this podcast and finished going through it along with my rewatch to prepare for the new season. Loved it!

There is an article from Variety today about the new season with a couple interesting tidbits.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/features/twin-peaks-revival-david-lynch-showtime-1202419020/

Given the wider scope, it’s not surprising to hear that, though “Twin Peaks” returned to Snoqualmie, Wash., for some filming, certain storylines in the new season take place outside the Pacific Northwest, and the bulk of the new season was shot in Southern California.

“There are different threads in different parts of the U.S.” that eventually converge, Nevins says. “It does not go outside the U.S., but it is in multiple locations in the U.S.”

One last clue from Lynch: The film “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me,” he says, is very important to understanding what’s coming May 21.

I remember when they were shooting hearing a lot about how they spent a lot of time filming in Las Vegas. And the official set photos they released a while back had multiple shots from what looked like the FBI HQ. There is part of me that thinks that the first episode we might not see the town of Twin Peaks at all or maybe until the very end of the episode.

I get the feeling that it will be a totally different thing than both the original series AND Fire Walk With Me. Frost hints as much in that article.

For those expecting a similar structure to the original, which revolved around Laura’s death, Frost issues a warning: “It’s going to be very different this time around.”

10 hours ago, Ash_NR said:

Some new video content.

Wow, that is really fascinating. That first shot on the highway is so reminiscent of David Lynch, but specifically of his film work after Twin Peaks. It doesn't look like a shot that would have ever been in the show. It's weird seeing those two sensibilities collide.

53 minutes ago, Chris said:

Wow, that is really fascinating. That first shot on the highway is so reminiscent of David Lynch, but specifically of his film work after Twin Peaks. It doesn't look like a shot that would have ever been in the show. It's weird seeing those two sensibilities collide.

Yeah that's a totally iconic composition from Lost Highway really, but I think some similar shots show up surrounding Laura going out in the woods and goes disappearing off the road? Man I should somehow cram and rewatch all of Peaks in the next couple weeks somehow because my memory of specifics like that is hazier than I'd like.

Hey I just recently discovered this podcast and finished going through it along with my rewatch to prepare for the new season. Loved it!

Welcome!

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

Yeah that's a totally iconic composition from Lost Highway really, but I think some similar shots show up surrounding Laura going out in the woods and goes disappearing off the road? Man I should somehow cram and rewatch all of Peaks in the next couple weeks somehow because my memory of specifics like that is hazier than I'd like.

Yeah that's probably true but this just looks much more muted and filmic than I remember the show ever looking.

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Yeah that's probably true but this just looks much more muted and filmic than I remember the show ever looking.

Yeah, same. I'm excited to see what the heck this will feel like as a whole. 

Another teaser, this time with glimpses at some of the new characters.

These trailers continue to have a very different style than the original show

It's been 26 years, it's going to be different. That said, it looks more like the world of Twin Peaks than I was worried it might!

There's a good showtime "catch up on Twin Peaks" ad campaign going inside Google right now. They bought google ads that link to unlisted YouTube videos if you search for Twin Peaks related questions.

Eg: "Where is Twin Peaks?" "Who is Agent Cooper?" etc. I think the "Who Killed Laura Palmer" ad actually includes spoilers? But I didnt watch that one with sound so I'm not sure.

google-start-investigating-now-twin-peaks-1200x600.jpg