Sign in to follow this  
Broxxar

[Release] Disaster Blaster

uFFncHR.gif

Disaster Blaster - A Bullet/Physics Hell Shmupaqwopalike Space Adventure!

Dev Commentary and many many last minute bugs held me up. A few things just got bolted together with terrible code to make this work but it's ready!

Download now from itch.io!

This is really nicely put together, very well presented and the physics are solid. I found it really tough but not unfair. Let's just say I'm glad for the commentary mode because otherwise I wouldn't have ever got to see the EOGB! What happened to the GameBoy mode, btw?

Hahah yeah I suppose I could update the Dev Log one to have a link to the finished product.

GB mode kind of got scrapped because I needed to change a bunch of sprites to make it high enough contrast in a couple of places. I should really just add a button to enable it anyway though.... I may do that later :P

Came out pretty cool! I can totally see this concept being expanded to a full game, too. I want to see an alternate ship where one gun-thruster thing is bigger than the other, so the small one keeps whipping around. That might be pushing the hell part of physics hell too far, though...

Looks great, good looking fx and lots of nice game feel touches. I uh found it basically impossible to survive more than a few seconds playing normally though; I think it'd be more playable but still very difficult if you could rotate without firing.

Came out pretty cool! I can totally see this concept being expanded to a full game, too. I want to see an alternate ship where one gun-thruster thing is bigger than the other, so the small one keeps whipping around. That might be pushing the hell part of physics hell too far, though...

Thanks! I don't think I'll take this little prototype further for the time being. It just feels to niche and ridiculous to spend too much more time on it :P

Looks great, good looking fx and lots of nice game feel touches. I uh found it basically impossible to survive more than a few seconds playing normally though; I think it'd be more playable but still very difficult if you could rotate without firing.

Woo game feel! Yeah it's ridiculously hard... probably too hard. But that's qwopalikes and shmups for you.

Also you're totally right. The first shot or two in the wrong direction while your gun swings around usually do more bad than good. On controllers I could bind shooting to the triggers perhaps.

Thanks so much for doing a developers commentary, I cracked a big smile when I saw the option, and it was definitely the only way I was going to see any content in the game. I felt like the gun rotation was way slower than i could even use to try and move myself somewhere. I'd be interested to see a video of you beating the game.

Thanks so much for doing a developers commentary, I cracked a big smile when I saw the option, and it was definitely the only way I was going to see any content in the game. I felt like the gun rotation was way slower than i could even use to try and move myself somewhere. I'd be interested to see a video of you beating the game.

I struggled with making the game a fair challenge. But I figured like QWOP, you can die in 2 seconds because of how obtuse the controls are, or you can go for gold. Then there's a shmup on top of that, and I ended up putting a decent amount of time into that part of the game and wanted to give people a chance to see it even if they didn't care to learn to play with the awful controls hahah.

Have you found other games with dev commentary? I haven't seen any =(

Here's a video of my playthrough. This was my third try (and you can see from my score, I start with like 15,000 due to a bug, I got pretty far in my second of 3 plays haha). When I was developing, I was consistently beating it. The most important part, and I guess this is sort of the most random/hidden system bullshit, is the drops. It's really important to kill everything and get gun upgrades. That includes blowing up the otherwise dormant asteroids that are of little threat.

Watching this again, I also got incredibly lucky on the boss. The Gattling Gun half got to use 3 attacks, each had a 50% chance of being a shmup wave of bullets, and luckily it used 3 big shots which are much easier to avoid (even though one still hit me) than the bullet hell wave.

Thanks for recording that video. It has convinced me to give the game another shot. I have not found any other dev commentaries, but I still have 10 games to play. In all honesty, that diversifier was a long shot, but too good not to include.