Chris

Idle Thumbs 240: Mikami's Iconic Hat

Idle Thumbs 240:

822__header.jpg

Mikami's Iconic Hat

Come in, come in… Ah, I'm surprised to see YOU wearing that hat. But welcome. My name is Dr. Caligari. I mean Dr. Strangelove. Actually, call me Dr. Langeskov. Sit back and let's take a look into your history. Boy, there are a lot of murders, aren't there? Very…densely packed. And more tweets than I expected. Still, we'll see if we can't find some gems… Just a little puzzle game joke there, ha ha. I know you love your companion apps. Hmm. It appears your original family name is "Bredon." Well, you know what they say: It all starts with a doctor and ends with an emerald.

Games Discussed: Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, Beglitched, Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars Battlefront Companion: Base Command, Ancestry.com, Untitled Shinji Mikami cockroach game

In two days I will be unemployed with no foreseeable means of income, but I just pledged all of my savings for the imaginary crowdfunding for Shinji Mikami's Crotchroach.

Dr Langeskov was actually part of that indiegogo thing to replace the stolen gear of those indie devs last year (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-magpie-collection#/) so I played a different version of it a ways back - and was inspired as hell by it. I didn't realise it was coming out on steam too.

To be honest I think they tinkered with it a little too much since then, it was already amazing, but then again I knew the 'trick' this time around so maybe I was less affected.

This was the most Breckon episode to ever Breckon, and it was glorious. I particularly enjoyed Nick taking Mikamis iconic hat, and Breckon: Origins.

I don't know why people complain about overuse of words on a podcast, unless it's genuinely stifling discussion. Sometimes, someone on the Idle Thumbs podcast says something is "interesting" as a means of precluding further analysis, but Chris saying that something is interesting because of something else is not remotely a problem. Maybe it's that same guy who complained that the Thumbs tell too many jokes and then laugh at them too much, what a grouch...

This was the most Breckon episode to ever Breckon, and it was glorious. I particularly enjoyed Nick taking Mikamis iconic hat, and Breckon: Origins.

It seems to me that every Breckon episode these days Breckons more than the one before it. Breckoner and Breckoner...

I really liked the metaphor of Diablo for Nick's relationship to Janel. Mostly passive, just independently doing your own thing until you're being attacked by killer bees and have to call for help.

Was there a separate Nick Breedon incident? It's possible this was just a reference to an already-established in joke, but I remember a conversation about Nick getting an email addressed to Nick "Bredon" after traveling for work somewhere. Maybe he addressed it to himself? It was in the 30s or 40s of the original Thumbs run if memory serves (which it may not).

I am SO excited to hear a Star Wars Rebellion 3MA. What a cool game that I loved playing.

t seems to me that every Breckon episode these days Breckons more than the one before it. Breckoner and Breckoner...

Are we approaching..... The Breckoning?

I love these alternate in house ways to play things, I used to try all sorts of ways to handicap myself when playing my younger brother so things would be fairer without any intentional in game letting him win, specifically I remember playing tecmo bowl with my feet and he could use his hands, I had to rely on a quick passing game with a usually very bad QB while he could do all sorts of Bo Jackson shenanigans running all over the place where my toes couldn't keep up.

This was a super delightful episode, I like the occasional break when it's just a couple of people to mix things up. 

My sister & I used to just play the Tomb Raider for the playstation tutorial over and over again where you practice tumbling and swimming because the game was too scary for tiny children, but who doesn't love some light gymnastics?

My sister & I used to just play the Tomb Raider for the playstation tutorial over and over again where you practice tumbling and swimming because the game was too scary for tiny children, but who doesn't love some light gymnastics?

Haha, I love this.

This was a super delightful episode, I like the occasional break when it's just a couple of people to mix things up. 

It was really fun to record!

Yes, now I can finally add Nick Breedon to Ancestry.com! I wonder where he works? Probably at Phaedrus.... I guess Jake would know :)(?)

This goofy Australian consumer affairs/hammy sketch comedy show has Problems with ancestry.com:

This goofy Australian consumer affairs/hammy sketch comedy show has Problems with ancestry.com:

"This video contains content from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. It is not available in your country" :(

I really like the discussion about these smaller "walking simulator" games like Dr. Langeskov. I feel like indie games lately have grown too fussy and concerned with high-fidelity (such as the Witness and Mushroom 11). I kind of like games that don't have a long development time, are half-baked and are just ready for download. The whole draw of indie is to be risky, kinda rough around the edges and avant garde. 

I really like the discussion about these smaller "walking simulator" games like Dr. Langeskov. I feel like indie games lately have grown too fussy and concerned with high-fidelity (such as the Witness and Mushroom 11). I kind of like games that don't have a long development time, are half-baked and are just ready for download. The whole draw of indie is to be risky, kinda rough around the edges and avant garde.

While I generally agree with you, I thought that Dr Langeskov had high production values for its intended scale.

Just "finished" Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist. It was pretty entertaining and about what I expected, what I didn't expect though was a pretty hilarious discussion on the steam community page / discussions forum. Must have been the devs who put som postst there? No? Fun idea to extend the make-believe of the game to the discussions forum, if not them gg to the community on that one. Play it then check it out! Maybe you can figure out what that thing is... I still haven't gotten past the tiger....

Also played it. It was ok (but it was free so it's good). If this is a teaser for what Crows^3 has in store, then I'm looking forward to it.

The game wasn't as extensively set up to allow breaking it as Stanley was (i.e. doing this before you even know you can).

Great game, they patched most of the stuff you had problems with, like the grappling hook physics:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/langeskov/announcements/detail/89308003010278660

Also steam achievements are listed but bugged, I couldn't get any to unlock, not even the one for playing the game.

Nice! The also fixed the Tigers pathfinding, finally! It was a nightmare before!