Udvarnoky

Psychonauts.com redesigned

Wow, that page is great! Not only does it offer easily understandable navigational options like "gray matter" and "memory vault", but it apparently requires me do register in order to download their promotional stuff. This is what the gold earring is made of!

Thanks for that Direc2 Ware7 Downl8d Pir8 li9k, Jake. And although I'd happily sign up for a Psyconauts newsletter and whatever, I'm not just giving my email address away to everyone who asks for it. I'm guessing that, since they're not explicitly stating they'll only use the address for the newsletter, they'll also use it for whatever else suits them too, as well.

I didn't say it was bad, just unexpected.

Also weird, with the product page on Double Fine's site that doesn't talk about the publisher, the page on Majesto's site that has yet to link to Psychonauts.com, and the one we are discussing here, there are now three official Psychonauts pages that exist without the knowledge of their brethren.

About the trailer... I dont like it with sound. I just find it distracting and really trying to get the attention from the viewer to two places at once. I actually dont think it is any good. I viewed it now without sound, and I emediately liked it. I get a totally different feel of what's happening, and the art blend beatifully. The sound/narrator was totally not blended or mixed properly. It was shite. :bomb:

Btw, the evil doctor who steal brains. His voice is similar to Dr Fred's in Day of the Tentacle.

oh. no. i watched the trailer (the big one :naughty: ). and all i want to do is playing psychonauts. now. soooo has anybody invented a time machine yet??? i want to live in the year 2005. now. :gaming:

About the trailer... I dont like it with sound.
I think Majesco has done a terrible job with adding in the narrator and getting the trailer ready, so I mostly agree with you. The voices of the actual characters and the sound design are superb though.

I think Majesco has done a terrible job with adding in the narrator and getting the trailer ready, so I mostly agree with you. The voices of the actual characters and the sound design are superb though.

That's why I made/edited this:

Psychonauts - Trailer 2 - Gameplay edit (no sound) (640x480).avi

http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/psychonauts/videos/Psychonauts%20-%20Trailer%202%20-%20Gameplay%20edit%20(no%20sound)%20(640x480).avi

(5.3 MB, 00:55)

I clipped out all the non-gameplay scenes except for beginning and end. And I removed the sound. The video is in DivX avi format. Enjoy.

After seeing the trailer I'm really, really looking forward to this game.

You have to fill out the form to see them.

What fooking form? I can't find any fooking form.

But I think I will in the next few minutes, so don't bother replying.

EDIT: No, I still can't find it. Also, all the links people have posted to new screenshots and such have mysteriously stopped working. This was just your way of making fun of me I'm sure.

Well awesome. Looks like I got here too late, and they took it down, or maybe there's server problems. I dunno. But thanks to mojoart for preserving the gameplay bit at least. Look at the baby fly! :clap::woohoo:

This psychonauts site is a fucking mystery. Some times I get into the real thing, with the screenshots and the downloadable trailers and stuff, and sometimes I just get into Majescos own little site that features a couple of screenshots and tiny bits of info. Two completely different sites, one that is totally awesome and one that is stupid and lame, through the same address.

Incredibly annoying. :hmph:

My what? I have no idea what you just said.

But if you'll tell me how to fix what's broken, it would make me somewhat happy. :innocent:

Aha! Now I know why I couldn't see anything special on the 'new' website since I was still getting the old website, I guess it has to do with my dns server still pointing to the old one...

[edit]

note to self: read entire thread before replying

and what a dns server does:

Your ISP's dns tells you what server should respond to which url. so when you enter psychonauts.com you end up on the proper server. but since some dns servers haven't refreshed their list yet they still point to the old server that was resposible for psychonauts.com

more info here

My what? I have no idea what you just said.

But if you'll tell me how to fix what's broken, it would make me somewhat happy. :innocent:

The problem isn't on your end, it's on your ISP's end. You'll just have to wait until they refresh it, but it shouldn't take any longer than a couple days.

About the trailer... I dont like it with sound. I just find it distracting and really trying to get the attention from the viewer to two places at once. I actually dont think it is any good. I viewed it now without sound, and I emediately liked it. I get a totally different feel of what's happening, and the art blend beatifully. The sound/narrator was totally not blended or mixed properly. It was shite. :bomb:

Btw, the evil doctor who steal brains. His voice is similar to Dr Fred's in Day of the Tentacle.

Well spotted. Dr Loboto is played by the same actor who did Dr Fred, Red and Zed in Day Of The Tentacle - Nick Jameson. He was also Max in Sam & Max: Hit The Road, and Darrel and Mavis in Full Throttle. I only know all of this because Tim put it up on Double Fine Action News in June last year.

My reaction to the trailer: wow. For a while I've been interested in Psychonauts and loved the art and screenshots that have trickled out of Double Fine, but I'm now seeing the look and gameplay come together with stuff like dialogue, voices, fluid animation, new bits of the interface etc. It's looking excellent, I really haven't been this excited about a game in a while.

What worries me most is the same thing that has worried me most about Psychonauts all the time: The gameplay.

I mean, the trailer mostly shows dialogoue and cutscenes or something like that, very little is actually gameplay. And although I do trust Tim's genius, I still can't help feeling a little scared about the lack of information. Everywhere, all the previews, everything always mentions that you "Enter people's minds and battle their nightmares". Yeah, that's great, but HOW? Do you solve classical adventure-inventory-puzzles? Do you battle, Zelda-style? Is it stealth-action? Is it a true Mario-platformer? Maybe similar to BG&E? Is it something completely new?

We all know that the story and the setting and characters and all those stuff are good, but what about the rest?

Do you solve classical adventure-inventory-puzzles? Do you battle, Zelda-style? Is it stealth-action? Is it a true Mario-platformer? Maybe similar to BG&E? Is it something completely new?

Yes you do, yes you do, probably a little, sometimes, yeah a bit, and yes. How well it all works in the end, however, is still to be seen.